SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-23-2005, 04:53 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Angry tps hates me!

my throttle position sensor keeps turning itself down.usually within a week or two it will go from .53 or .54 volts to .50 or so and when it does my tranny starts flairing between 2 and 3 and the car just feels kinda sluggish. that's when i know it's time to turn it back up. the screws are tight trust me. the weird part is i can make the voltage change up to about .015 volts or so by just giving the sensor a little twist.like it's flexing! it's got me perplexed. HELP!
Old 07-23-2005, 05:02 AM

I just replaced my TPS. I'm not sure if my old one was bad. It was definitely set too low. When I took it off and cleaned it, I noticed that cleaner was leaking out through the seams. This looked like a way to let dirt in. It might also be a way for the thing to kind of twist after it's mounted and subjected to vibration. You might try pulling yours off and spraying it with cleaner. That cleaner sure penetrates and identifies the leaks. I used Radio Shack contact cleaner. Just a thought.

There's a TPS for sale on ebay right now. New ones are pretty expensive ($150). Or, you could borrow my old TPS and try it.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:06 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb
I just replaced my TPS. I'm not sure if my old one was bad. It was definitely set too low. When I took it off and cleaned it, I noticed that cleaner was leaking out through the seams. This looked like a way to let dirt in. It might also be a way for the thing to kind of twist after it's mounted and subjected to vibration. You might try pulling yours off and spraying it with cleaner. That cleaner sure penetrates and identifies the leaks. I used Radio Shack contact cleaner. Just a thought.

There's a TPS for sale on ebay right now. New ones are pretty expensive ($150). Or, you could borrow my old TPS and try it.

i already cleaned it like 4 times in the past 6 months. it don't leak the cleaner out at all. i'm the one bidding on that tps right now

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-22695-...tem=7987683913
Old 07-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

aaaaaahhhhhhhh come on. don't tell me i have a unique problem that no one can help me with.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Did you get a new/used TPS? Did it fix your problem?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:08 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
And also, will it continue to drop past .50 if you don't re adjust? I thought that .50 was right on the money for the voltage. Maybe you have a different situation.

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 09-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

well, i'm not to sure what the situation is with it. i think my battery was just going bad in my voltmeter giving me inaccurate readings. i just put in a new battery and checked it and it was at .509 volts. i'll check it again in a couple days and see what it's reading and report back to you all.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
well, i'm not to sure what the situation is with it. i think my battery was just going bad in my voltmeter giving me inaccurate readings. i just put in a new battery and checked it and it was at .509 volts. i'll check it again in a couple days and see what it's reading and report back to you all.
The setting doesn't have to be all that exact. The book says 0.4-0.6V throttle closed. 3.6-4.3V throttle open.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I agree. The ECU is a learning computer in the respect that it can adjust for deteriorating sensors - within a certain and reasonable range. A little carbon build-up between the t-body bore and the throttle plates is all too common and can hold the throttle sightly open, causing th TPS reading to change. The ECU can compensate for this kind of stuff, again within reasonble limits.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

well, now that i have a accurately working meter, i'm gonna set it up a little bit cause it does make a little difference with tranny and power mode engagement. unfortunately, one of my screws is just about stripped and i can't get it loose so i'll play with it tomorrow and see if i can loosen it somehow. my car seems to like .53 volts the best so i 'm gonna set it there when i can. don't worry, my throttle plates are clean and i clean them every 3k miles.