Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects

Old 07-23-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
You're kidding, right? Where exactly are you going to plug it in, because you sure can't run that off of your car's electrical system!

Dave
I dont think he was serious but you could get a dc to Ac power converter. But I dont think either thing would really do jack.

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 07-23-2005, 01:11 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360
I dont think he was serious but you could get a dc to Ac power converter. But I dont think either thing would really do jack.

Try running an electric leaf blower from a DC/AC converter and see what happens.

Dave
Old 07-23-2005, 01:46 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360
For argument's sake, let's presume that your "average" supercharger requires ten horsepower to drive it. That's probably on the low end of the scale, as only ten horsepower wouldn't get you much boost - probably not enough for even 40 HP out of 3.3 litres - but since we're talking about small blowers, it's a good comparison. You can convert horsepower into other measures of energy, and since we're talking about electric leaf blowers, watts is a good unit of measure. One horsepower equals 746 watts, so ten horsepower would equal 7460 watts. At 115 volts, that's about 65 amps. Your standard wall outlet is rated for only fifteen amps, and I doubt many leaf blowers draw very much more than ten. ...but let's just say you're getting all fifteen amps out of it, that's 1725 watts. If 7460 watts is good for maybe 40 horsepower if you're lucky, then in theory, 1725 watts is good for almost ten horsepower.

Of course, I'm using only the most favorable figures. If the leaf blower was extremely efficient and powerful, and all the stars aligned just right, ten horsepower is the most you could ever get. In reality, that generous 10 horsepower consumption netting you 40 horsepower figure is probably closer to 20 horses netting you 40 on a good day. The leaf blower probably only draws 1000 watts, about half of the 1725 it might draw if lightening strikes. So basically cut both the efficiency and the power in half. That leaves you with about three horsepower out of the optimistic ten possible. Still, three ponies isn't completely pathetic. It's not worth the trouble or all the laughs you'd get, but a 233 horsepower SVX is faster than a 230 horse SVX.

...so, how much boost on an SVX is required to get three horsepower?

Watts x 0.00134 = Horsepower
Horsepower x 746 = Watts
Old 08-06-2005, 05:40 PM

Wow you guys have to much time on your hands. Also I think someone needs to stop taking things so seriously. Like anyone (I HOPE) would ever hook a leaf blower to there engine for extra horse power.

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 08-06-2005, 06:09 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I can't believe that we are tackling this AGAIN..... Here is what was found from the threads about this over the past few years....

1. it does work (someone posted about trying it on a honda once and actually saw about 1 or 2 tenths of his 1/4 mile time....

2. it is pointless because you would have to have an external battery to run it off of and you could only use it about one or two times before your battery was drained..... So ya would have to wait for it to charge up again...

3. RICER MOD..... People looking to cut corners inorder to get straight line speed...

I have decided that with the help of Boxer4Racing (www.boxer4racing.com) I am going to have a 300hp (crank hp) N/A engine within the next year or two... Depending on school and work situations... I have talked to Dale Teague about it and we will be building up a plan of attack for the project within the next month or two... He believes it is MORE than possible with the SVX engine... Not only will I do the above, but I will do it on an engine with 100,000 miles on it.... Just wait.... It's coming....

Besides, I need alittle more power to be really competative since I am stuck in SM in AutoX....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The entire discussion is really moot anyway. Even if one could supply enough electrical power a fan is a fan and not a positive displacement pump.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: