Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Kiteless

Am I about to loose my Transmission?

Well on the 14th someone sent me a PM warning me NOT to have the transmission "power flushed" and I did not see it till today. Well just this last weekend the transmission was power flushed. I do not see how this could kill the tranny though. The person that PM'ed me mentioned that there was another filter under the battery? Does that one get shreded and that is how the tranny does? What does the power flush actually hurt? Luckly while it was at the shop they found the problem with the back tire and the car has not been driven at all since the power flush was donw. Am I doomed, could this not effect me at all, or is there something I can do to salvage this situation. Thanks all,

- Jason
1994 Blue SVX-L 109K miles.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The inherent tranny issues you'll read about were mainly confined to the first two production years. 'Power flushing' itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. When it first came to market it was found that a larger number than expected were experiencing failures shortly afterward and was attributed to the flush chemicals washing the varnish from metal surfaces that seals, etc. rode against. It was hypothesized (big word for someone that just finished off a few Newcastles, eh Todd?) that this rinsing action caused fluid bypassing that lead to ultimate tranny failures. It now seems that many people were coming in for flushes as a 'Hail Mary' for transmissions that were already experiencing problems. The owners would come back shortly afterward complaining that the process had somehow damaged their .."it was running great before you touched it" cars. As shops became more aware of the issue and wary of performing the procedure on questionable vehicles the issue has become less problematic. So, with all of that said, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Besides, loosing your transmission would require tools and physical effort... *Danger: Smartass spellchecker on the loose*

Last edited by Beav; 06-22-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Kiteless

Hey thanks. I am inclined to believe you since you are a mechanic and stuff. My car is still back at the dealer. I bet he is having trouble fvinding parts for it, haha. I really wanted to drive it up to Modesto this weekend, but I guess it is going to have to wait till the next one. On the plus side, I manage to buy a warranty for the car when i got it from the used car lot, aaaand I still have my old Mazda, so if something goes wrong I have a backup plan.

I guess the biggest down side is that if the tranny does fail, I will have to warranty it, and I am sure that is going to be a HUGE pain.

Anyway, thanks for a little peace of mind. I really trust the garage that I take my car to.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
hypothesized (big word for someone that just finished off a few Newcastles, eh Todd?)
hyp...hype...hypos...screw it. Waitress, another round for my friend and I! It's on his boss

Todd
Old 07-01-2005, 11:30 PM
UniqueAngle

Don't sweat it too much. I had mine done when I bought the car early in 2004 (along with a total flush & fill for all other fluids as well - as I do with any car I buy). Car had just under 100k on it and no problems - fluid had been changed at least once before, but the trans pan had never been off before. Changing it is better then not.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Kiteless

OK, Well I have had the car for a full week now and it has been fine. My check engine light keeps turning on and then off randomly, but seems to be effected if I let off the gas or gas it. Transmission seems OK though.

Going to try and get the tranny cooler insalled this weekend. The one I got is soooo big, I think i am just going to replace the factory one instead of adding it.

Beav: I think you where right. Everything seems OK.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:29 PM

That said, a lot of tranny shops still won't do flushes on higher mileage trannies, especialy if it has never been or has been a while (like the past 25-40k mi) since being done, and while you can "force" them to do the flush, they will make you sign a wavier clearing them of any responsibility should your tranny fail after the preform the service.