How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-18-2005, 10:39 PM
SVX Appeal

I'm prejudiced. I admit it.

I can think of four alternatives that don't compromise performance. The miles of exhaust pipe that snake around the back of the engine on the other hand - well, that compromises performance. The aerodynamic obstacle on the hood compromises performance. (Admittedly, very little.) It also appears they're planning on using the "warm air intake" design, and we all know what that does. It is a little early to speculate though, so I guess they still get the benefit of the doubt.

I suppose a big set of rally lights on the front might serve to hide the hood-wart. I think one-in-ten people would consider this to be an acceptable design. Many shops wouldn't want their name attached to that project. Appearances are everything. "Hey look! It's that ugly Subaru that pulls 10 second quarters."

Ever seen a radiator with a hole in it? (No, really.) They make 'em. Sometimes the tubes are simply parted, and other times they’re cut and are joined to a pair of intermediate tanks with a bypass passage. There are solutions to this problem. It's a shame they didn't try something else.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:33 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
It is custom. I personally like the look of the raised hood. It makes it look like is has a bit more muscle to the car.
This is all I was discussing, not the piping or anything.

Quote:
That setup is badass and it will work much better than any other way in keeping piping to a minimum. Don't trash talk the car because the had to raise the hood. When and if molded properly it will look excellent.

Tom(Thinking of doing that to my hood just to piss people off)
So it's okay for you to have your opinion that the car looks good, but it's not okay for me to have my opinion that the car looks bad? Double standard? And if you want to go through all the work to raise your hood be my guest. it wont piss me off, but I can almost assure it it will look ugly if you follow TWR's example. Not to mention the negative side effects you'll have.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
I'm prejudiced. I admit it.

I can think of four alternatives that don't compromise performance. It also appears they're planning on using the "warm air intake" design, and we all know what that does.
Actually, a "warm air" intake does not make much of a difference from a "cold air" intake in turbo cars. That air is going to be cycling through the turbos which will be at the temperature of the exhaust gasses.

Most companies don't make cold air intakes for turbo cars, and that's the reason. There's no need to make the intake more restrictive with extra bends and more piping.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 05-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
praise and trashing are 2 very different things. The car looks unique to say the least and it will outperform any other design of piping I can think of. If looks are everything people would trash the FWD drag racers since their wide body kits to fit the slicks may be a damper on aerodynamics it functions to add performance. Not to mention those wide bodies look like crap. Like I said, when it is molded it will look half way decent. Do you know how many people hate our cars because of the unique looks?? Well thats all I have to say, PS i wasnt mad at u for not liking it, it is just one of the thigs I say

Tom
Old 05-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Opinions Are Like..............s

Well, I for one happen the think that the WRX is ugly to begin with, so this very interesting and hopefully productive setup will not hurt its appearance to much.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

One cool thing...

...that has come out in the NASIOC thread is about a guy who races in NHRA in a front-engine dragster that uses a 'heavily' modified EG33 as his power source:

They say he's switching to a new platform...I wonder how much he'd sell his ol' engine for? j/k

-Chike

P.S. Btw, his car runs the 1/4 mile in the mid 8's!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 05-24-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Holy Crapola... Thats a pretty sweet EG33. Never knew anyone modded the engine that far before. Seems to me that he is running it N/A, I wonder what kind of comperssion he is running in that baby. Sweet

Tom
Old 05-25-2005, 01:45 AM
SVX Appeal

Am I seeing it wrong? Those look like two different cars to me.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
They are 2 different cars...both belonging to Frank Aragona. A search might turn up a bit more info.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Wheww!!

I thought I was seeing things at first. One appears to be front engine and the other a mid or rear engine car. Glad of the two car confirmation.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-25-2005, 08:50 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

are both of them eg33's?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 05-25-2005, 09:02 PM
SVX Appeal

Frank Aragona's motor is naturally aspirated with no nitrous. It uses a two-speed automatic transmission and typically runs ~8.6 seconds in the quarter. He seems to regularly creep into the 8.5s, and there's a unconfirmed mention of him pulling an 8.17@161.55mph.

I'm not sure on the details, but he does race two cars. He may be using the same motor in both - or not. The numbers I've found seem to be for the front-engined car. Somebody posted that he's running 9.5 compression with some fancy pistons and that's about the sum of it, but somehow I doubt that.

For those who are wondering, 3.3 liters = 203 cubic inches.

I didn't search exhaustively, but I wasn't able to find a whole lot more information about Frank or his car.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Maniac modifier

9.5 compression?? thats lower than our stock 10.0. Thatd doesn't sound quite right but who knows...

Tom
Old 05-25-2005, 10:57 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
I don't much about all of this. But I think, I am not definitely sure, that lower compression pistons are probably better when handling alcohol gasoline mixtures, then again I can be wrong. Either that or he can be making a twisted direct intake setup that can double as somewhat of a supercharger, like I saw built on a pro-drag NA Cavalier once, I guess you can call it bending the rules a smidge.

Last edited by Weebitob; 05-25-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
Rigoli Performance

EG33 wrx

SilverSpear requested this information from me:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...060#post319060

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads