How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-23-2004, 07:00 PM
simonton

similar problem?

does this sound like the same problem that you are having??
Old 08-23-2004, 07:07 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

no not exactly. The car doesnt shake or shudder. Ill give it some gas and it with stop and the rpms will stay in one position for a sec and then boom im off. Its definitley an O2 sensor or fuel filter or something along those lines. The car has been acting absolutley perfect these last 2 days even with the a/c on. I dunno what it is but ive let it warm up fully for the past 2 days. Maybe thats what it is. Could the ECU know that i did this? Im not complaining....this car is a blasttttt to drive when running right.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Destroyer of worlds.

Re: Acceleration problems...please help me find a solution

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
...acceleration issues...
Soobie...

Were you ever able to resolve this issue? My '95 is doing almost exactly the same thing. When I go to pass someone in a totally platonic, non street racing fashion, and press hard on the Go-button, the engine just chokes up, Granny Mode kicks in and I accelerate like a Rascal with low batteries. Same thing around corners when I lay into it. Not every time mind you, usually after sitting in traffic for a few minutes and occasionally it just starts misbehaving without any 'triggers'. It's not consistent enough to pinpoint the exact cause though.

If you get a moment, could you list what you have done to fix/attempt to fix the problem? I'll try and start working from the other end of the spectrum, and see if we can't figure this one out with the least amount of capital.

I'll reread this thread and look for other ideas.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:17 PM

Re: Re: Acceleration problems...please help me find a solution

Quote:
Originally posted by PhatWeasel

Soobie...

Were you ever able to resolve this issue? My '95 is doing almost exactly the same thing. When I go to pass someone in a totally platonic, non street racing fashion, and press hard on the Go-button, the engine just chokes up, Granny Mode kicks in and I accelerate like a Rascal with low batteries. Same thing around corners when I lay into it. Not every time mind you, usually after sitting in traffic for a few minutes and occasionally it just starts misbehaving without any 'triggers'. It's not consistent enough to pinpoint the exact cause though.

If you get a moment, could you list what you have done to fix/attempt to fix the problem? I'll try and start working from the other end of the spectrum, and see if we can't figure this one out with the least amount of capital.

I'll reread this thread and look for other ideas.
Well there are a few things that it could be. I havent tackled the problem yet but i have a good idea what the problems are. This is what i will be doing when i can get enough money...

1. Clean the throttle body
2. Inspect spark plugs
3. Change O2 sensors and fuel filter

I am going to clean the throttle body before i do anything because that may in fact be my problem. A member did PM me and tell me he had the same problems with his '93. He told me he replaced the O2 sensors and fuel filter and its working great now. But do clean the throttle body before ya do anything else. I just have no time which is why i havent gotten around to it. But this problem only happens in very hot nasty weather. The car runs pretty great for the most part in cold weather.

Old 09-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

Re: Re: Re: Acceleration problems...please help me find a solution

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
But this problem only happens in very hot nasty weather. The car runs pretty great for the most part in cold weather.
Yeah, mine runs great at night when the outside temp is back down around 85 degrees, but it's real picky when it's 102 out.

I'll start with throttle body and go from there. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Acceleration problems...please help me find a solution

Quote:
Originally posted by PhatWeasel

Yeah, mine runs great at night when the outside temp is back down around 85 degrees, but it's real picky when it's 102 out.

I'll start with throttle body and go from there. Thanks.
same here phatweasel. My car runs great at night time when the temps are cool....also in the daytime if the temps are at or below 75 degrees. Once it gets into the 80's then forget it.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
I have the same problem, although I don't think mine is anywhere as severe. She still runs super strong, but I notice hesistation on acceleration - especially when it's cold.

here's my scenario:

From a stop, lightly accelerate where the Revs 'll go to about 1,500 then the sputter down to maybe 1250 (but you can feel it) then it launches back to normal (1500+ RPM) ......does all this while remaining constant on the accelerator.

If i just hit the pedal moderately it's fine - aggressively it's also fine ....floor it and it's still fine. I just figured this to be the problem that ECUTune's stage 1 chip is to fix.

I'm also due for a major 60k service, so after I do all that I'll see if it still does it.

Have you tried replacing the basics? Like plugs, clean the air filter, fuel filter, pcv ....all that?

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 09-17-2004, 09:08 AM

Yeah if i floor it then the hesitation never happens. I havent changed any of those but they are definitley on my to do list but only after i get the throttle body cleaned. Can anyone explain why this happens? I havent noticed this in other cars.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:20 PM

Just a little update for everyone here about this issue incase you care . I bought a K&N air filter from Chike back in november and ever since i instaled that the hesitation has not returned. Of course the temps have been freezing but when ive ran the car with the a/c on or defrost on there was no hesitation. The only hesitation i get is the normal hesitation when the engine is cold. I wonder if maybe the new air filter has made the ECU settle down or something . The real test will be in the summer when it gets hot and muggy outside. Does anyone have any ideas why a car would run so sluggishly during the summer as opposed to the winter? I am also going to be cleaning my throttle bodies this week sometime weather permitting and i went to the auto store to get throttle body cleaner but they were all out.....i have fluel injector/ air intake cleaner....can i just use that? I have 2 cans of carb and choke spray in the garage but those were my dads and havent been used in yrs...probably 10 years or so.

Old 04-29-2005, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
<snip>Just a little update for everyone here about this issue incase you care . I bought a K&N air filter from Chike back in november and ever since i instaled that the hesitation has not returned. </snip> <snip>I wonder if maybe the new air filter has made the ECU settle down or something . </snip>
I would say it pretty much confirms that the ECU is running on the safe side i.e. rich. The increased airflow through the filter has compensated for the extra fuel ?? Has the performance remained good (since you fitted the filter in March and we are a couple of months down the line now) ??

Anything more to report ?? Reason I ask is our car does something similar when you are gentle with the pedal; you want to increase gently in speed, or when applying the throttle from a junction, you get sweet F.A. Then along comes the power in a big "lump" making you race off like a scalded cat.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:29 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen
I have the same problem, although I don't think mine is anywhere as severe. She still runs super strong, but I notice hesistation on acceleration - especially when it's cold.

here's my scenario:

From a stop, lightly accelerate where the Revs 'll go to about 1,500 then the sputter down to maybe 1250 (but you can feel it) then it launches back to normal (1500+ RPM) ......does all this while remaining constant on the accelerator.

If i just hit the pedal moderately it's fine - aggressively it's also fine ....floor it and it's still fine. I just figured this to be the problem that ECUTune's stage 1 chip is to fix.

I'm also due for a major 60k service, so after I do all that I'll see if it still does it.

Have you tried replacing the basics? Like plugs, clean the air filter, fuel filter, pcv ....all that?
Mike, this is exactly what mine does only if I do not let the engine warm up for about 10 minutes. I notice this every day after I leave work. I've already done the throttle cable adjustment, so I'm not sure what the problem is either. If you find a solution, I'd love to have my problem fixed.