How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2001, 09:16 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
THis is odd, I've asked 5 differnt autoshops in LA on how much to install a transmission cooler, and most of them didnt know what I was talking about. The nearest subaru dealer wont touch after market parts.

Do need to call transmission specialty shops? Whats wrong with my approach?
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 04-25-2001, 10:52 PM
zsvx

Never ending story part 3

Quote:
Originally posted by htyei
THis is odd, I've asked 5 differnt autoshops in LA on how much to install a transmission cooler, and most of them didnt know what I was talking about. The nearest subaru dealer wont touch after market parts.

Do need to call transmission specialty shops? Whats wrong with my approach?
Considering the radiator has one built in I don't think they are that "unknown". You should really consider installing it yourself, it's not as difficult as you think. Check out http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...s=&threadid=77 for a bunch of great info.

On a related note, when I went to install my B&M cooler I found that the previous owner had installed a tranny cooler between the radiator and AC condenser. I was told the previous owner had a new transmission put in so I'm assuming he had this done around the same time if not when he had the new tranny put in. Also the external filter was installed when I got the car. I don't remember if this came on some late model '92s (mine is 1/92) but I'm pretty sure if not this was done before or at the time of the new tranny install. The odd thing is I get a bad "lurch" when I shift into reverse, most notably in the morning. From reading other posts I think this is a sign of pending transmission doom.

So either the standard B&M style cooler and filter is not doing as much as we think it is or the current transmission was not installed properly (hoses/radiator not flushed, filter not changed, etc.). The last owner took very good care of the car so I'm assuming he had the ATF and filter changed at regular intervals. I have a perma-cool cooler on the way from summit so soon I'll be running a set up similar to immortal_suby. I have some Redline D4ATF I'll be installing Friday along with the summit racing filter kit and autometer ATF temp gauge.

Wow, that was a long post. What was your question again?
Old 04-26-2001, 07:35 AM
lightning_8669

<<<filter not changed, etc.). >>>

Subaru had a "campaign" to install filters on 92 and 93 SVXs because the stock coolers in those years had the mesh in them which was prone to clogging. I was told the scheduled maintenance intervals for this filter are 30,000 miles. I think the original owner of my car (I'm the 3rd) had the filter installed back in 93 and never replaced. The second owner had the trans replaced in 1999 but not the filter. That trans failed shortly after I bought the car in the summer of 2000. I had it replaced under warranty and instructed the writer to replace the filter. They chose not to for some reason. That transmission recently failed. I have just had it replaced, also under warranty, AND a new filter installed. I have also installed a B&M Racing cooler and the car seems to shift much better than ever before. Depending on your driving habits replacing the filter often is probably a good idea. The it $8.25 from Couer D'Alene Subaru plus shipping (my local dealer quoted me $35 just for the filter) and comes complete with mounting clamp, hardware and hosing. Pretty cheap early model SVX trans protection if you ask me.