Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2004, 08:40 AM
clarkerussell

Oil leak found... I think

OK, my tremendous oil leak (almost a quart per fill up) has been diagnosed by the Subaru dealer as a leaking cam shaft seal, an oil pump seal, and POSSIBLY an oil splash shield. They said I needed to fix the cam shaft seal first, and then the oil pump, and then see if the oil shield needs to be fixed after that. I was aware of a small leak in the cam shaft seal, but the "oil splash shield" is new to me. Oh, I was quoted $800 for the cam shaft seal replacement.. I think that's a load of crap since my local mechanic was going to include it in the 60K service for an additional $50... He was only going to charge $500-600 for the whole thing and that included parts and labor for the service, and if I supplied a new water and oil pump, he'd put that in as well. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 04-24-2004, 11:59 AM

I think that for $800, I'll come up to SC and change the seal for you - in your driveway, while at work, day at the beach, wherever you say.

seriously, I've not heard of the splash shield either, maybe they are using a different term for something though. My best guess would be they are referring to what I would call a dust seal, a gasket like material that fits between the inner and outer plastic timing belt housing on the front of the engine.

Several people have recommended the oil pump replacement while the front is opened up - I didn't, but that's just me as money was more important than time when I did mine. the water pump is a cheap insurance item to be done at the same time.

hopefully your mechanic was putting in a new timing belt during this service - that is a definite - IMHO.

what you don't want to do is fix the cam seal, then see if that works, then the crank seal (what I think you mean by the oil pump seal),...etc. the seals themselves are very cheap - the cost is in the labor.