How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-30-2003, 06:12 PM
_-DejaVu-_

3rd gear problem.....?

I was driving up the mountain passes, having my SVX in 3rd gear. When I would slow down(letting off the gas, or stepping on the brake) it would hesitaite, badly. The RPM's would rev up, then go way down. Then I would shift it back to drive, and it would be ok. I didn't want to investigate my problem much, because it was on the interstate. I pulled over to see if something would happen(Parts fall off, engine blows up, something of that sort) I put it in 3rd again, going about 20 m/p/h and it didn't do it anymore.
I have no idea what to think.
I'm not sure if the car would have staled, I didn't want to test it on I-70.
There is my problem, but I'm going to vent about something too
I was going along, about 80, when I heard a POP from my engine. I look in my mirror, all I could see was smoke.!
I pulled over, and guess what I found? ALL of my oil leaking EVERYWHERE!
My oil plug was gone
My boyfriend changed my oil last weekend. If he didn't tighten the nut all the way, why did it take a WEEK to fall off????
Damn lucky I didn't blow my engine!
I just wanted to say that.
What a PERFECT end to an already hellish month

I'm seriously thinking about garaging the SVX, and getting a POS car. I have now, 191k miles on it, I can't afford to get anything fixed on it.
If you have any advice about my prob, I need your 2 cents!

Deja
Old 05-30-2003, 07:34 PM
CARLiTO_

same thing happened to me and my tranny...it ended up dying about a week later, hope it's not the same for u..try driving in 2 to prolong it's life. I ended up getting a impreza tranny and still looking for the matching rear differential. I hope u do not have to go through what i am goin thru but do take it to a tranny shop that u trust.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Headed to Texas...

Re: 3rd gear problem.....?

Quote:
Originally posted by _-DejaVu-_

My oil plug was gone
My boyfriend changed my oil last weekend. If he didn't tighten the nut all the way, why did it take a WEEK to fall off????

If you have any advice about my prob, I need your 2 cents!

Deja
Well...if he just had the plug on finger tight it would have taken some time for it to work its way out...maybe a week

As for the tranny problem, I'm afraid 2 cents would be more than my advice would be worth!

If it was me I'd at least have the tranny serviced (fluid changed). The SVX tranny is a strange creature, I've had mine for 6 years (no it's not my daily driver), put about 25,000+ miles on it since then - in that time it's had a funky partial-throttle 2-3 shift thing going on that's never been diagnosed and has never gone away - or got worse either. I've just learned how do drive so it doesn't do it

Keep us posted, and I hope you can find a POS to drive....

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-31-2003, 09:54 AM
_-DejaVu-_

Unhappy

*Wonders what she will do first*Laugh, or cry.
I'm not sure what to think. But obviously it has something to do with my tranny. I"m very worried about driving it now. I've thought alot about it, and I guess I'm driving it to my parents house(3 hours from here) and leaving it. There isn't anything I can do here, if it does decide to die on me
I guess I can say goodbye to school, and work here. Nothings been going right since I moved to this place, maybe its time to take a break

Had to let things out.
Anyone else have anything to say, before I take CARLiTO_'s word, and get it somewhere safe before I'm suck in this town?

Deja
Old 05-31-2003, 07:43 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Sorry to hear of your problems. Wish I could help. *hug*

Mine also has the weird half throttle shift into 3rd that doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. Try unplugging the resistor behind the battery to see if that helps the shifting. It may not be a solution but maybe a bandaid until you can afford to do something about it.

How hard were you pushing your car, maybe your tranny is getting a little warm.