1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 12-19-2006, 04:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
It's interesting that a JURY found the guy not guilty of Dangerous Driving. In England [and Ireland] dangerous driving is a criminal offense, and leaves a mark on your record. Careless driving or speeding are not criminal offenses.

I'm betting the jury took into account factors like the car's ultimate capability, the way it was driven, the experience of the driver, how empty the road was. These built up a buffer or a margin for error in the minds of the jury members, and they obviously did not believe the guy was doing anything dangerous.

Taking this argument to the limit, and maybe ad absurdum, if you are driving an empty road or salt flats or airfield, then technically you could do any speed you like, and it would not be dangerous driving.

Richard Hammond recently disproved this last theorem, because it proved to be dangerous to himself.

I stand firmly and precariously on the fence in this matter; the kid was driving carelessly, because he was not sufficiently aware the cops were on his ass. He deserves all he gets.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-19-2006, 10:29 AM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
I won't pass judgement on anyone from here, but from what I've seen at school, and from what I've heard on the news, and now after this, it's official, Americans have absolutely no clue how to raise a child.
Somebody's trying to start something.....Im not taking the bait today because I am at work but , I think its everywhere not just in America....

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 12-19-2006, 10:57 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT2HAVESVX
Somebody's trying to start something.....Im not taking the bait today because I am at work but , I think its everywhere not just in America....
True, it very well could be worldwide, but I've never been outside the country, so I can't say I'd know from experience.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
I firmly believe that there should be a driving test at 60, 65, 70, and yearly after that.
Gosh, you're brilliant as every 17 year old driver I've seen shouldn't be tested too. What your asking for is illegal, it is called age discrimination and only a bush fanatic would advocate taking such liberties based on age. EVERYBODY should be tested as age has nothing to do with how badly one drives, it just so happens that as you age you tend to have more medical ailments.

The kid who hit me last night wasn't 60.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Gosh, you're brilliant as every 17 year old driver I've seen shouldn't be tested too. What your asking for is illegal, it is called age discrimination and only a bush fanatic would advocate taking such liberties based on age. EVERYBODY should be tested as age has nothing to do with how badly one drives, it just so happens that as you age you tend to have more medical ailments.

Ben, Bush fanatics do not support and decison that could possibly help the greater masses rather than a select few... Thus, I agree that driver re-evaluations should be held... In order to by-pass the "Constitutional issues" it should be applied to people of all ages every 5 yrs. This is my opinion at least. There are just as many poor teenage drivers as there are old people (yes this includes old tom). To close, everyone should lose their license... except me

Tom
Old 12-19-2006, 01:07 PM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
What if you are license to Ill!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:

Bennie,
You're getting sarcastic again Where is your Christmas spirit?

And BTW, it IS legal in many states now to have the elderly (no, not me YET!!) take a drivers test, especially if there is a report that they may not be a competent driver. Quite honestly, I hope they do stop me from driving if I get to that point in my driving. I would hate to go to my grave knowing I killed someone.....

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 12-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx
Bennie,

And BTW, it IS legal in many states now to have the elderly (no, not me YET!!) take a drivers test, especially if there is a report that they may not be a competent driver. Quite honestly, I hope they do stop me from driving if I get to that point in my driving. I would hate to go to my grave knowing I killed someone.....

Harry
If they take away our licenses when we turn 60, how will we get home from the bar?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx
Bennie,

Harry
I just hate when people assume statistics and class, religion, sex, race, creed, color hair gives them a right to cut on said class or push for taking away their rights. I'm with you, I hope I'm stopped from driving years before I become incompetent to do so but age has nothing to do with ability to drive more than the color of ones skin does.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
I just hate when people assume statistics and class, religion, sex, race, creed, color hair gives them a right to cut on said class or push for taking away their rights. I'm with you, I hope I'm stopped from driving years before I become incompetent to do so but age has nothing to do with ability to drive more than the color of ones skin does.

Are you serious?

I'm sorry, but yes, age plays a SIGNIFICANT role with the ability to drive, where as color of skin has nothing to so with said driving ability. It is a FACT that old age, and at no particular numerical age as onset can widely vary, increases the rate of deteriation of both physical and mental capacities that are neccesary for operating a motor vehicle safely. This is a FACT of life. It is not discriminatory as it is a part of a human's life cycle. To ignore this fact and just accept that we have people who are incapable of driving on the road is ridiculous.

On a seperate note, if the United states didn't have a joke for a driver's education program, it is likely there would be fewer people on the road that are truly incapable of driving. I would not mind testing, however I would prefer almost any organization other than the IL DMV perform this testing.
Old people make mistakes on accident because they are phsycially unable to operate the vehicle in a safe and effective manner.

Young people cause wrecks because they do not have the experience or wisdom that would teach them why it is a mistake. Young people pay up the ass in insurance because of this lack of experience. Old people cause wrecks because they are too proud to admit that they can't drive anymore, or they are not responsible enough to understand when that point has come. If they don't do this, there needs to be legislation that forces the issue.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-19-2006, 06:49 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Old age often leads to loss of coordination, slower reaction times, poor vision, tiredness, and poor hearing. Please explain how that doesn't harm your driving?

But I agree, we can't discriminate, test the teenagers too! And then only give them a license if they pass the test! Brilliant!!!

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
What your asking for is illegal, it is called age discrimination and only a bush fanatic would advocate taking such liberties based on age.
By the way, I actually hit my head on the desk after I laughed so hard I fell out of my seat. Just thought you should know.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
I love when people throw in the "you think that way cause your a bush
fanatic" card... How Imature...

Anywho... I agree with testing, from the day you get your license, each time
you get it renewed (to allow for states to select how many years apart, etc)
you should be re-tested, and the testing needs to be much much harder
then the current tests, I mean here in florida, my Girlfriend just, drove
around a parking lot, parked in stright, backed out, went out into a small area,
followed Stop Signs, Lights, etc, and that was IT. Other then taking some
"Drug and Alcohol test", and the simple, Multipull choice test on the computer,
that was it... I mean even a few years back (I am 24, got my license at 15
1/2 Roughly) I had to do a speed stop in my dad's '88 Towncar with no
ABS, and I was not allowed to even squeak the tires.

Personaly, I think my test should have been 100 times harder,
and I think that if it was, we would cut these current problems down
atleast 50%, Now, to help the other 50%, why not enforce laws like
"USING YOUR TURN SIGNAL"... that fact alone would stop alot,
Why not get a ticket for turning your signal on too late? that would
count up alot of tickets here in Jax, and make people think twice about it.
Also, how about Enforcing "Slower traffic to the right"?
I have NEVER hurd of anyone getting a ticket for that, and we need it.

So personaly, I belive that only 50% improvement with harder and constant
testing, and the rest is up to the cops, plus, the more tickets they hand out
to idiots, the less taxes they need to take out for funding... Everyone is
happy (Cept the idiots, but if they didn't to the stupid things that could
lead to a huge crash, they wouldn't need to get a ticket in the first place)

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)

Last edited by nsm484; 12-19-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
On a seperate note, if the United states didn't have a joke for a driver's education program, it is likely there would be fewer people on the road that are truly incapable of driving.
Haven't driver education programs pretty much been dropped by U.S. public schools?

I took driver's ed in public high school; early 70s. (Get this: Driver's ed wasn't mandatory; Army ROTC was.) Learned to recognize traffic signs by shape, watched gruesome "Death on the Highway"-type films from the 1950s (which seemed to diminish their relevance to us dim-bulb 15-and 16-year olds), and drove a Ford LTD once or twice a week for maybe 10 minutes a pop, exclusively on surface streets near the school. Thus equipped, I proceeded to go out and drive like the brainless teenager I was.

If I were King, two years of driver's education would be mandatory, and would include everything from changing a flat tire to track time. And thorough licensing re-evaluation exams would be required for ALL drivers every 10 years up to age 65, and every 5 thereafter.

dcb

dcb