How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 PM

Transmission Slipping Please help

I own a 1996 with about 200,000 miles. I noticed it would like to drag the shifts from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to fourth but never really saw it as a problem. As of now the car barley will shift into fourth and 3rd is not all there. It tends to drag under heavy loads. First and second are just fine. Im thinking it has something to do with the Line pressure. I have been doing some research on it and found that Solenoid A valve goes bad. Now if that is the problem I have no idea where to find this or how to replace it. I thought I once read something about resisting the pressure but I'm totally lost with that. Also I thought I read something about cutting a line which would give me hard shifts. Thats fine I just want to get a little more life out of her. I'm totally lost as to what to do and any info would help!
Thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Transmission Slipping Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee55987 View Post
I own a 1996 with about 200,000 miles. I noticed it would like to drag the shifts from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to fourth but never really saw it as a problem. As of now the car barley will shift into fourth and 3rd is not all there. It tends to drag under heavy loads. First and second are just fine. Im thinking it has something to do with the Line pressure. I have been doing some research on it and found that Solenoid A valve goes bad. Now if that is the problem I have no idea where to find this or how to replace it. I thought I once read something about resisting the pressure but I'm totally lost with that. Also I thought I read something about cutting a line which would give me hard shifts. Thats fine I just want to get a little more life out of her. I'm totally lost as to what to do and any info would help!
Thanks
If the transmission is original, you/it have/has done very well and must consider a replacement. If you have evidence that a the transmission has been replaced or overhauled, that is another matter and some advice may help you. Please post again.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:49 PM

well i bought it with about 175,000 and as i was told it was rebuilt at about 100,000. I have kept it up pretty well. I flushed it when i first got it and have always kept tabs on the fluid level. Im hoping its something with line pressure.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
well i bought it with about 175,000 and as i was told it was rebuilt at about 100,000. I have kept it up pretty well. I flushed it when i first got it and have always kept tabs on the fluid level. Im hoping its something with line pressure.
I think it is a high clutch problem, and is terminal. You could try unplugging the resistor behind the battery, that will raise the line pressure, to see if there is a difference, but I doubt it will help.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I think it is a high clutch problem, and is terminal. You could try unplugging the resistor behind the battery, that will raise the line pressure, to see if there is a difference, but I doubt it will help.

Harvey.
At this stage do not give up hope. There is absolutely no reason to accept that the transmission must be replaced or completely overhauled.

It would appear that you have been cautious since you noticed the problem and therefore it is reasonable to hope that nothing has been seriously worn due to slippage.

You are correct in suspecting low line pressure. This can be easily tested by someone with the right equipment and the test will cost very little.

If low line pressure is detected, this can be due to a faulty “A” solenoid valve, which can be checked and if necessary replaced, without removing the transmission, and at a reasonable cost.

Keep fingers crossed.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post

Harvey.
I am going to have my line pressure tested, but before I do so could you tell me where I can Find this resister. (behind battery) I have not a clue what to unplug if you wouldnt mind directing me a little bit.
Thank you all.
And yes, Im crossing my fingers! =)
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I am going to have my line pressure tested, but before I do so could you tell me where I can Find this resister. (behind battery) I have not a clue what to unplug if you wouldnt mind directing me a little bit.
Thank you all.
And yes, Im crossing my fingers! =)
You should run a transmission diagnostic test. This provides a way of testing the resistor and associated circuit. Refer the how too stuff.

The resister is a small elongated metal enclosure, mounted on the panel behind the battery. It has a plug/socket connection.

The resistor circuit is there to protect the "A" relay against sudden closing shock. I can provide detailed information if required. If you disconnect the resistor, do so only to get you by meantime. If you find that it is disconnected or is open circuit (bad), you have found the reason for a faulty "A" solenoid.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.