SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2001, 10:28 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I am taking a screen shot of this. Randy just said he'd take a yella car!

Damn!
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-12-2001, 08:58 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Old Yeller

To be fair, he did say a yellow car over a YUGO! I actually saw a Yugo in Beckley back in May. At least that's what the badge said; it was hard to make out with all the bailing wire, body putty, and duct tape..(DUCT TAPE!!!! pistol shots into the air) I think I saw pedals and a sprocket and a chain under the steering wheel...it was hard to see.

Well, it could be worse. You could drop off you SVX for repairs and be told that a customer vehicle is waiting for your use in the back, and you walk around the corner...to find....a yellow...

.....AZTEC !!!!!

(for your convenience, barf bags may be found in the map pockets on the bottom of each door...) Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-12-2001, 09:09 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Old Yeller

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
To be fair, he did say a yellow car over a YUGO! I actually saw a Yugo in Beckley back in May. At least that's what the badge said; it was hard to make out with all the bailing wire, body putty, and duct tape..(DUCT TAPE!!!! pistol shots into the air) I think I saw pedals and a sprocket and a chain under the steering wheel...it was hard to see.

Don, I worked with a guy that owned three of them Yugo's! And he commuted every day 60 miles to and from work. He swore by them. They required less work than the brand new Hyundai that he had bought for his wife. And the Hyundai was the top of the line back then, if you could call any Hyundai top of the line.

When I started at that dealership we were dealers for Subaru, Nissan, Volkswagen, and Hyundai, and were a warranty station for Jaguar. When I left we were a stand alone Subaru dealership. (Well, Chuck actually had sold the Nissan franchise, but they had to build a new building and get all the parts and tools transferred over yet.)
Old 07-12-2001, 09:40 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Yugo wego

<He swore by them>

That's funny, I had always heard that people swore AT them..

I really couldn't say, that one in Beckley was only the second or third one I have ever seen. They just seem to show up as comic material all the time. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the Yugo a Fiat design that they sold to Yugoslavs? Fiat 128? Had some friends when I was in England that had that model Fiat; I've ridden in worse cars.

If you haven't noticed, Hyundai is getting its act together. The cars on their lots now, are a world apart from just a few years ago. My best friends soon wife-to-be has an Accent, and that thing is at least Suzuki-quality. I'm impressed with the little thing whenever I get a chance to ride in it. My neighbors boy just got a Tiberon (sp) and he promised me I could take it for a spin. The prices are good; if the quality has come up then they deserve a look-see in my book. The owners are much happier with them (according to certain websites) than Daewoo! Don

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-12-2001, 09:51 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I'm really quite impressed with the "looks" of the Hyundai "Santa Fe." A company that has really caught my attention is the Kia folks. 10 years 100000 miles is quite a warranty -- o'course, I haven't seen the fine print. They may only pay off if a claim is done on a Sunday, while you're standing on one foot, clucking like a chicken on a night with a full moon and Jupiter's aligned with Mars. Impressive, all the same.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-12-2001, 09:59 AM
Lowered SVX

the tiburon is a nice looking car.

randy vw offers a 10yr 100,000 mile powertrain warranty too.

eddy, the spindle i am referring to is part of the cv axle, it fits into the side of the tranny. there are teeth on this spindle. the teeth on the very end were off center from the rest of the teeth. they are going to replace the whole spindle section. supposedly the part will be in friday. but i have heard this before.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-12-2001, 10:00 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Kia

Like Hyundai, they have a huge warranty. Trying win folks back from the "Korean is junk" era. There is a Kia that I have been waiting to see; it is the Spectra K. There are pictures of it on Kia's website. It comes with Jackson Racing intakes and headers, Eibach springs, TSW wheels and Toyo Proxes (sp) tires, and that DuPont Chromolusion paint that changes colors as you look at different angles. For very basic transportation, the little Rio has received some good reviews also. Don

PS...Italdesign has done several Korean cars in the past. Does anyone know which current models came from their design studio?

Old 07-12-2001, 10:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Kia

Quote:
Like Hyundai, they have a huge warranty. Trying win folks back from the "Korean is junk" era. There is a Kia that I have been waiting to see; it is the Spectra K. There are pictures of it on Kia's website. It comes with Jackson Racing intakes and headers, Eibach springs, TSW wheels and Toyo Proxes (sp) tires, and that DuPont Chromolusion paint that changes colors as you look at different angles. For very basic transportation, the little Rio has received some good reviews also. Don

PS...Italdesign has done several Korean cars in the past. Does anyone know which current models came from their design studio?
Interestingly enough, Italdesign did several of the Daewoos. Go here: http://www.italdesign.it/ point at the "steering wheel" until you see the "Production Cars" pop-up and click on it. It'll tell you which cars have been produced.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-12-2001, 10:22 AM
tat2skullz

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
[They may only pay off if a claim is done on a Sunday, while you're standing on one foot, clucking like a chicken on a night with a full moon and Jupiter's aligned with Mars. [/B]
Wait a sec... I think thats part of the procedure to program the remotes for the SVX, Aredub
Old 07-12-2001, 10:27 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: the tiburon is a nice looking car.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
randy vw offers a 10yr 100,000 mile powertrain warranty too.

eddy, the spindle i am referring to is part of the cv axle, it fits into the side of the tranny. there are teeth on this spindle. the teeth on the very end were off center from the rest of the teeth. they are going to replace the whole spindle section. supposedly the part will be in friday. but i have heard this before.
Geez, tell 'em to turn the axle 180 degrees and then install it! It's supposed to be that way, always has been on Subaru's. It's what you and I would call an offset pin arrangement. And if they want to replace what I *think* you're talking about they have to remove the tranny, separate the diff from it and do it, or *you're* going to have to have it done once they screw it up. And yes, I have seen the axle installed with the offset wrong, whoever did it just beats the pin in as far as it will go and then busts off the pin, spins the axle and repeats. Try and remove a few of them some day!

You know, I just re-read your post, are you saying that the inner joint has a spindle (stub shaft) coming out of it that is splined? If so, then I must inform you right now that you are already screwed. I've heard of people being that dumb, but have never actually seen it. If that stub shaft is hooked to the inner joint, then they pried so hard on it that they broke the retaining pin inside of the front diff.

Mind ya, I'm not there to see what you're talking about. And *some* axles come out that way (not Subaru's), but if they've done what I think they have done, you be in trouble young man.

Last edited by eddycat2000; 07-12-2001 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:45 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Daewoo who?

<Italdesign did several of the Daewoos>

We have a new Daewoo dealer here, and the cars LOOK good. They have a little hatchback called a Lanos, a "sport" model with beautiful leather interior. But this "sport" model has only 105 hp and get this....no tach!
"Oh no sir, those aren't needed anymore. When it sounds right, just shift...")
Don

Old 07-12-2001, 10:47 AM

10 yrs 100000 miles?

My dad works for the United Nations as a supply officer. One of the things he has to do is to pruchase cars/trucks etc (you got the pictures). He has bought many Fiats (punto, uno, duo, Tipo, Tempra, Strada etc.) for the UN fleet as well as volvos and Benzs. The thing with fiat is that it's cost of repair is a lot lower than most cars (perhaps because he buys them bulk and duty free).

About a year ago, I asked him about the Korean cars -- Daewoos, Kias, Haundai etc. The Haundai has changed their parts for their cars and redesigned their cars world wide. I was told that they are reliable to a certain extent (and 10yr-10000 miles is hyped up). But they are better than what they used to be and they will last you 10 years.

I saw a Daewoo used as a cab in the milddle east. The interior was roomy and it does not look cheap -- that was 2 years ago. It seems even better than the new benz cabs.

What I am saying is that the market and the promotion has to exist in this county in order to sell the cars. Audis and VWs have been solid cars for a while. The sales in this country picked up only after a lot of marketing was done. It seems like it's not the car that matters but the marketing that does the job. If I am a billioner and if I decide to push a boost for the Yugo marketing, I can tell you that you will start seeing Yugos on the American streets just like the Audis, VWs and Haundais.

What do you think?
Lwin

PS. my dad recommanded the Subarus over the Mazda and Hondas. Go dad!
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 07-12-2001, 10:50 AM

Re: Daewoo who?

Quote:
<Italdesign did several of the Daewoos>

"Oh no sir, those aren't needed anymore. When it sounds right, just shift...")
Don
The way i learn is that when I feel I don't see any more power comming out of that gear, shift.

I never recall looking at the tech. on a stick any more. I just feel the car and know when to shift I guess. Perhaps I should go compete in the Junkyard wars.
Lwin
Old 07-12-2001, 11:33 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by tat2skullz

Wait a sec... I think thats part of the procedure to program the remotes for the SVX, Aredub
Seth! M'man! I've seen you lurking. Good to see you around.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-12-2001, 01:00 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Nailed by King Kong

Randy, I really do feel for you. Whenever you have a bad scrape on a pearlie, it just seems to jump out and tie down other drivers' frontal lobes in technicolor when the sun hits the car. I still have not gotten my scrapes on the back fender fixed yet. And I take it the Excursion was undamaged and the guy was probably backing up for hours before he realized he wasn't up on a curb. Shame, indeed.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele