Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 AM

Re: STI suspension

Hmm. I just found a stock STI suspension for sale for relatively cheap on craigslist. I may have to pick it up and test to see exactly how they fit. Ill call the seller tomorrow and see if they are still for sale.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

So from what i'm getting at a stock Sti suspension will bolt in by drilling new holes for front/rear, welding new tabs, and adding camber bolts to align it right?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM

05/07 STI suspension. 3 bolt holes per strut tower. Camber bolts for correct alignment. Top bolt hole on the front strut to knuckle mounts needs to be elongated. Tabs welded to the suspension for the front swaybar, and the swaybar linkage lengthened to reach. The rear strut to knuckle bracket needs to be widened aka bent outward a little to fit. The bolt holes for the rear will line up correctly, so no other mods will be needed in the rear.

Last edited by smc; 04-11-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:52 PM

Registered SVX

well stock 05-07 sti susp is almost non existant to find for sale here in aust (like most things)

what are your thoughts/opinions on these options ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BC-Racing...item19cf72fde6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODSPEED-05-...082932&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSS66-1USS2-...8c7852&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-RACING...f8e936&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODSPEED-05-...b1ae2f&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YELLOW-DPS-C...1e8505&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BC-Racing-BR...2c3f3c&vxp=mtr
Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Nice That doesn't seem to hard to do. I'll add this to the list of things needing done
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
well stock 05-07 sti susp is almost non existant to find for sale here in aust (like most things)

what are your thoughts/opinions on these options ?
You can order just the stock struts for a STI for relatively cheap from the dealer. Then toss on a set of quality coils and your good to go
As for your e-bay dampeners:
Hmm. They are all pretty decent for the price range.
When possible, look for an inverted shock design, like what I have.
Keep in mind that in a macpherson strut design like our cars, the struts are a stressed member of the suspension. When you corner, all that stress is transferred from the wheels to the struts then to the chassis. I dont know about you, but I dont like the thought of all the cornering stress of our heavy cars being pressed upon a 1/2" shaft that is the strut rod.
In an inverted design, the strut body itself slides into the mounting sleeve and takes all the stress of the suspension.

Adjustablility in the compression / rebound is a great thing to have, if your tuning for the track. If its a daily driver, its not really necessary. You would be surprised how a couple clicks can turn you from understeer to oversteer in a hurry. Or a balanced well handling car, to a twitchy turd on the street. Choose wisely
Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
You can order just the stock struts for a STI for relatively cheap from the dealer. Then toss on a set of quality coils and your good to go
As for your e-bay dampeners:
Hmm. They are all pretty decent for the price range.
When possible, look for an inverted shock design, like what I have.
Keep in mind that in a macpherson strut design like our cars, the struts are a stressed member of the suspension. When you corner, all that stress is transferred from the wheels to the struts then to the chassis. I dont know about you, but I dont like the thought of all the cornering stress of our heavy cars being pressed upon a 1/2" shaft that is the strut rod.
In an inverted design, the strut body itself slides into the mounting sleeve and takes all the stress of the suspension.

Adjustablility in the compression / rebound is a great thing to have, if your tuning for the track. If its a daily driver, its not really necessary. You would be surprised how a couple clicks can turn you from understeer to oversteer in a hurry. Or a balanced well handling car, to a twitchy turd on the street. Choose wisely
yeah im not sure how relatively cheap that would actually be here seeing as everything is basically 2.5x the price you guys can buy the same part for there
i will go up to the dealer and ask them how much they are

and if i was to get stock sti ones , i would still need to get camber adjustable strut tops, right ?

and quality coils ... any suggestions for them ?

ah ok so i take it none of those are the inverted design ?
just searched "inverted struts" on ebay and this is the ONLY listing that came up
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-OEM-S...item1e6d1aea02

the adjustability thing would pretty much be for show and once it was set i would not change it ...
ever

Last edited by aust92pearl; 04-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM

You can get coils for tarmac or gravel for the stock struts. The gravel coils are a fair bit stiffer than the stock SVX rates, but allow for longer travel. The tarmac. Well, it depends on the stiffness you want. A general rule of thumb in terms of track suspension: keep the suspension firm yet supple, and run big swaybars. If your springs are so stiff *like mine* that your tires loose contact with the road surface, then your loosing traction and negating the use of the suspension in and of itself.

The best coils on the market:
http://www.swiftsprings.com/products-ss_spec_r.html

Give them a call, tell them what your looking to obtain performance wise and they can get you just what you need.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
You can get coils for tarmac or gravel for the stock struts. The gravel coils are a fair bit stiffer than the stock SVX rates, but allow for longer travel. The tarmac. Well, it depends on the stiffness you want. A general rule of thumb in terms of track suspension: keep the suspension firm yet supple, and run big swaybars. If your springs are so stiff *like mine* that your tires loose contact with the road surface, then your loosing traction and negating the use of the suspension in and of itself.

The best coils on the market:
http://www.swiftsprings.com/products-ss_spec_r.html

Give them a call, tell them what your looking to obtain performance wise and they can get you just what you need.
Stealership has to ring an sti stealership to get prices .

So what parts of stock sti struts are used
Front :stock housing and strut with different springs and adjustable tophats ?
And rear: stock housing , strut and top hat with different springs ?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 AM

The strut assembly's front and rear, sti tophats, the nuts for said tophats as they are a different thread than the svx bolts, and camber bolts for adjusting the alignment. Thats it
Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 AM

Registered SVX

well thats where im confused . The parts guy told me they dont sell complete strut assemblys. They sell it separate instead eg housing , shock , spring , Hat. Hes a bit of a cranky old ba%$&rd and doesnt like to actually do much research . (ive had to deal with him before for other parts ) . Maybe il just call a subaru hotline and see what they say and get part numbers
Old 04-12-2012, 02:44 AM

Registered SVX

i might have found a full set of 06 sti struts , are all subaru camber bolts the same or do they need to be 05-07 sti ones or svx ones ?

also found a set of 07 rear sti struts (15000kms on car being wrecked )
that i can get pretty cheap

Last edited by aust92pearl; 04-12-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 PM

So far it seems that all the subaru camber bolts are the same. Ive used a set from a wrx on the rear of my old svx.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
So far it seems that all the subaru camber bolts are the same. Ive used a set from a wrx on the rear of my old svx.
Ah ok cool . Good to know
Old 04-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Will the STI top hats also work with Koni inserts? I have installed the Koni's and need to replace the top hats. I understand that I will need to drill new mounting holes but will I still need to install the camber adjusting bolts?