Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff
Registered SVX
AC Issues...

So the A/C threw a code 15. Found the refrigerant temp sensor was loose, reattached it. Still though, the A/C only works intermittently. It will sometimes blow ICE cold, sometimes slightly cold, and often, the compressor just won't engage at all and it will blow hot air. I'm about at my wit's end...heads I have A/C, tails I don't. Every time I get in. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Re: AC Issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
So the A/C threw a code 15. Found the refrigerant temp sensor was loose, reattached it. Still though, the A/C only works intermittently. It will sometimes blow ICE cold, sometimes slightly cold, and often, the compressor just won't engage at all and it will blow hot air. I'm about at my wit's end...heads I have A/C, tails I don't. Every time I get in. Anyone have any suggestions?
If the temp sensor was loose, did it allow the escape of the refrigerant? I'd suggest going to an a/c shop and have them refill the system to the proper pressures or you can do it yourself using a manifold press gauge.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
If the temp sensor was loose, did it allow the escape of the refrigerant? I'd suggest going to an a/c shop and have them refill the system to the proper pressures or you can do it yourself using a manifold press gauge.
I have - The system's been completely evacuated and refilled. The temp sensor just clips on, it doesn't physically go into the refrigerant.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
I have - The system's been completely evacuated and refilled. The temp sensor just clips on, it doesn't physically go into the refrigerant.
Mine has this problem sometimes. If I do a "hard reset" (turn the key off and then on again), the compressor comes on line. (if you do this while moving, put it in neutral, and don't lock the steering column!). How hard was it to get to that sensor? (I have the code 15 too).

Did you have to replace the refrigerant temp sensor, or was yours just loose? Anybody got a part number for the sensor?

Last edited by rlutz; 06-01-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

So did the error code go away? If the compressor is cycling or stopped then there's a pressure/sensor issue. How does the pressure behave on the low side of the system with the A/C on?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 AM

Registered SVX

Ok, bringing this back from the dead. I bought this car from Geoff and thought I found the problem of the sporadic A/C problem, I opened the hood and moved the wires on the compressor and voila, the a/c engaged. I figured it was a loose or dirty connection so every time the A/C would not turn on (which wasn't often and only on start up) I would unplug and plug the compressor. This past weekend I was moving some wires around to reposition the XM and GPS antennas and I removed the A/C amplifier to get to some wires.

Well liked I feared the A/C stopped working and then came back on after another start, hmmmm. So yesterday and the day before it worked first thing in the morning, but as it got hotter in the day and after start up it would not engage even with me unplugging the compressor (great back to square one ). Later in the evening it did engage and would engage after a few start ups around town the night before but last night it did not engage at all.

I did a little trouble shooting, checked the fuses, swapped the A/C clutch relay, did the A/C diagnostic (which read 00) and nothing changed. I don't think it's low on freon because it was always cold any time of day. The wires on the compressor when it was working would read 12v on the single wire plug and the double wire plug would read ground, now they all read ground Could it be another relay that is associated with the a/c not allowing the compressor to enegage? I also found this little bugger in the passenger floor board area, anyone have an idea of what it is and could it affect the a/c?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Registered SVX

Ok, I think I've come to the conclusion by searching through here that my compressor, mainly the compressor actuator solenoid is faulty. The wire that I had been unplugging and plugging back in was for the solenoid. All yesterday the compressor never engaged except when coming home from work last night, it took about a minute and the compressor kicked on. The air had a funny smell coming from it when it first engaged and cycled like normal the whole way home. I got home and popped the hood with it running and the compressor sounded like a huey coming in for a landing, a constant clanking sound and vibrations matching that sound from the compressor casing. It stopped once the compressor would stop cycling.

So I guess it's time to find an R134 compressor to replace my clanking one, also anyone have any idea what that sensor in the pic is for?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 PM

Registered SVX

If you have the original Zyxel compressor it should not cycle at all under normal conditions. It is a variable discharge compressor, the solenoid on the back with two wires is the actuator for this function and it is controller by the AC controller.

Here's a link for the 1992 US spec FSM AC part:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58136

Tapani

PS If it cycles and seems to work someone might have gutted the variable discharge and added a pressure switch to prevent evaporator freezing.

Last edited by Tapani; 09-07-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:00 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
If you have the original Zyxel compressor it should not cycle at all under normal conditions. It is a variable discharge compressor, the solenoid on the back with two wires is the actuator for this function and it is controller by the AC controller.

Here's a link for the 1992 US spec FSM AC part:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58136

Tapani

PS If it cycles and seems to work someone might have gutted the variable discharge and added a pressure switch to prevent evaporator freezing.
So your saying that an original compressor constantly runs and it varies the amount freon that goes through it? I watched the compressor clutch stay engaged for over a minute then disengage for about 40secs then re-engage all while making a clanking sound. Is there anyway to verify if I have an original compressor? It's a 92 and has been retrofitted for R134 if that makes any difference.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Registered SVX

I checked the compressor and it is a Zyxel, it seems like the a/c engages first thing in the morning and then won't during the heat of the day (95+days) and then sometimes fires up at night. What gets me is when the day is cool and the compressor doesn't engage that just moving the compressor wires engage it. Could it possibly be pressure? I would take it to the stealership but the closest one is two hours away and not to sure how well they would be able to trouble shoot it. I'm try to get my buddy to check the pressures this weekend and what they're reading.

This a/c thing is making me batty, plus a couple of 100 deg days doesn't help either,lol.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM

Registered SVX

U are low on freon.....The freon you have goes through the system comes back get sensed as low and shuts the compressor off. on a cold day or start up have enough pressure etc.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
U are low on freon.....The freon you have goes through the system comes back get sensed as low and shuts the compressor off. on a cold day or start up have enough pressure etc.
The original owner had the same problem and said he had the system checked and it was full. I'm going to check the pressures this weekend and see if that tells me anything.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by showoval View Post
The original owner had the same problem and said he had the system checked and it was full. I'm going to check the pressures this weekend and see if that tells me anything.
Ok, it's not pressure related, both sides were good. I believe the problem is electrical, I pulled the a/c clutch relay and found out that the compressor wire was not registering ground in the socket till I moved it at the compressor. Ok, one problem, repair wire still nothing. I believe I'm missing power to engage the relay in the socket to engage the compressor. I have one hot two grounds and one neutral, could it be the High pressure switch between the drier and condenser triggering since I sometimes have air at night or in the morning?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Registered SVX

Got my a/c issue fixed, turns out my control panel was bad somehow. Got a used one from Sean486 and now have a/c goodness.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Good job.
You're lucky to need A/C at this time of year. It's been around 0°F here lately.