How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-03-2011, 01:56 PM
The Molinator

CA Smog .. ???

Well, I failed only the idle HC part of the smog test.. . but still FAILED.
A friend said to get Nitromethane racing fuel.. put 10% or less in tank.. "It'll pass!" .. .

BUT, I cant find any Racing fuel here in Fresno. The one place I keep getting referred to.. is apparently struggling to stay in business.. and is closed right now.

Should I go somewhere to get Nitro?? Or shud I pursue another viable cure for high (157 test, 100 max) idle hydrocarbons?

I've purchased that Guaranteed To Pass product ??? as well as some NOS Brand High Octane Booster. I'm thinking to run thru GTP product (cleaner evidently... I already used Techron prior to my failed test tho?) first.. then, add Premium (I usually run Regular with Ecutune chip switched on) + the NOS Octane Booster prior to testing again!... ???

Help!!!

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 PM

Registered SVX
Re: CA Smog .. ???

it may be a lot easier to get E85 than race gas. since it's 85% alcohol it should drastically reduce your HC at the tailpipe. if you run your tank down until there isn't much left then add a few gallons of E85 it would most likely pass if the only thing it failed for is HC. Not a long term or necessarily legal thing to do put works none the less. A lot of the guaranteed to pass products are just filled with alcohol anyway.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM
The Molinator

Do the Octane Boosters work?? Will they smell the alcohol? [My buddy who used successfully and recommended the nitro.. said if the nitro is more than 10%, they're likely to smell it? What about alcohol?]

Also, is there any way to increase the idle speed dependably.. I think it is computer controlled.. right? The last test showed a low (~600 rpm) idle speed! I would probably pass if the idle were just boosted to the allowed max of 900 rpm!

Where would I get E85?

Thanks, Jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
it may be a lot easier to get E85 than race gas. since it's 85% alcohol it should drastically reduce your HC at the tailpipe. if you run your tank down until there isn't much left then add a few gallons of E85 it would most likely pass if the only thing it failed for is HC. Not a long term or necessarily legal thing to do put works none the less. A lot of the guaranteed to pass products are just filled with alcohol anyway.
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 03:50 PM
The Molinator

Just to be clear:

1) I hate SMOG TESTS

2) I hate WORSHIPPERS OF THE ENVIRONMENT

3) I hate LIBERALS

4) I especially hate California LIBERALS.. They're ruining my state

5) I love God, my family, my friends, and everybody else

Thanks, Jim

P.S. OK! ..Yes!, I love my enemies.. like God tells me to.. .
Old 05-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Registered SVX

don't know about california but in colorado you can buy e85 at most gas stations. figuring california is a little more hippy environmentalist you can probably find it at a gas station near the freeway. it shouldn't smell like anything coming out the pipe, thanks to obama gas is 20% alcohol anyway. what they probably smell in race gas is sulfur and additives. increasing your octane likely won't help as the octane rating is a measure of how much you have to compress gas before it will self ignite with the higher numbers being harder to ignite. increasing your idle probably won't help but if you want there is a set screw on the side of the throttle body to do just that. Just mark it and count the turns you move it so you can put it back exactly where it was. In all likeliness if you can find some e85 you would pass with just that.
http://e85vehicles.com/e85-california.htm
there are probably more
Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 PM
The Molinator

CLosest E85 station (if still active???) is 1.5 hours away.. .

Is the set screw on back of TB (with adjustment slot facing rear).. or
is slot facing passenger side.. ?? All I can see now are cable adjusts.

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-04-2011, 02:55 PM

Registered SVX

i think the screw faces the rear of the car but it has been a while so i cant say for sure not being at the car now. if you look at the linkage you will see that the throttle plate and lever is held open by an ear on the lever contacting part of the throttle body that is where the screw is. you can try adding "heat" to your tank, it's mainly just alcohol and is meant for drying out bad gas. a couple of bottle in the tank would likely give you enough alcohol to pass
Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM
The Molinator

It's called "HEAT" .. ?

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-06-2011, 04:44 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92snowmachine View Post
... .. . you can try adding "heat" to your tank, it's mainly just alcohol and is meant for drying out bad gas. a couple of bottle in the tank would likely give you enough alcohol to pass
SO, what is it called? .. I can't find anything about "heat" gas treatment online.. ??

Jim
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Registered SVX

sorry it's spelled heet.
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/...art-28201.html
any type of alcohol dilution you do would have the same affect, you can use some isopropyl alcohol from walgreens if you want. just make sure you know how much you have in the tank so you know what % you have.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Only pure isopropyl alcohol, anything that's part water should not go in the tank. (like 70% alcohol).
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 PM
The Molinator

Not available in California... and won't ship it! at least from Advance. I'm looking for other sources.. but so far none.. Hmmm?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Registered SVX

http://www.amazon.com/28201-Gas-Line.../dp/B0016GXNC4
if you can't get a few of these you may have to find race gas or actually fix what's wrong with the car
Old 05-09-2011, 12:05 PM
The Molinator

GOD FORBID!

I found HEET at O'Reilly's Auto Parts... used to be Kragen's..
It's isopropanol + injector cleaner. I wonder if I might pass if I run this DURING the smog test?

What percent Heet or ethanol (if I can get it?) do u think wud be good?

HELP!

Thanks, Jim

P.S. They make two HEET products.. RED and BLUE bottles.. They have RED here.. Is that OK??

Last edited by James Scott; 05-09-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Registered SVX

i've used the red, my first car would always have trouble with emissions, it would fail and i would pour three of those in the tank when it's about half full and it would pass. you want to have it in the tank when you get it tested. the theory being that it will reduce you HC counts by reducing the amount of HC that is going into the cylinders while also providing enough oxygen for your cat to work more efficiently, however since alcohol has more oxygen then gas, if you put in too much your O2 sensor will see excessive oxygen and force it to run even richer.