IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-02-2011, 09:56 AM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX
Help! My SVX is stranded.

Hi all.

After working my first night as a DJ, I get out the the SVX and she won't start. I suspect the fuel pump, as I can't hear it whirring during the ignition sequence. My SVX is now sitting in a car-park, refusing to start.

Should I get it towed to a nearby mechanic? Is the fuel pump a big job and does the SVX require an SVX specific pump?

Times like these really TEST my dedication to this rare car.

P.S. I am not mechanically minded - unfortunately.

Mike
(Car is stranded in Warner's Bay.)
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com

Last edited by BRADY; 04-02-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:16 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Help! My SVX is stranded.

Try resetting the system by pulling the battery terminals and connecting it back up again? Security system on it? Faulty/malfunctioning one might keep it from starting but it's only a thought? Best of luck to you...
Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 AM

Registered SVX

check your under dash fuses especislly the EG/ign fuse, it happened to me
Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If it happens to be the fuel pump, it's not too tough of an endeavor. Also I'm pretty sure all the subaru pumps are the same from that era. Having the access hole behind the rear seat makes it easy to get to.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 AM
SVX Addict

Registered SVX

Thanks so much for the quick response, my friends. It means so much to be a part of this forum!!

I will get back to the SVX tomorrow, check the fuses and if that isn't it, I shall get a fuel pump from a local Subaru dealer.

Subix - my model does not have any security, except for the mid-nineties aftermarket crap the previous owner installed.

It has fuel, plenty of battery and the starter motor is working. Looking back at the past two weeks, I believe the SVX was giving me signals. It took a while to start last Monday (longer than usual) and also hesitated briefly as I began my drive tonight.

Mike
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADY View Post
Hi all.

After working my first night as a DJ, I get out the the SVX and she won't start. I suspect the fuel pump, as I can't hear it whirring during the ignition sequence. My SVX is now sitting in a car-park, refusing to start.

Should I get it towed to a nearby mechanic? Is the fuel pump a big job and does the SVX require an SVX specific pump?

Times like these really TEST my dedication to this rare car.

P.S. I am not mechanically minded - unfortunately.

Mike
(Car is stranded in Warner's Bay.)
Mike you can check if it is the pump
The two wires that go to the pump, the blue is power supplied by the relay. Yellow is the ground wire that goes to the modulator, to be grounded through a resistor for low pump or direct to ground for high pump.
If the pump turns on for a few seconds, when you turn the key on, then the relay and pump are working OK.

To check if the pumps ground is connected, put a ground on the Yellow wire. Take a length of wire, stick one end in the Yellow connector, so that it is connected to the yellow wire, ground the other end, turn the Ign on, see if the pump will run.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Mike you can check if it is the pump
The two wires that go to the pump, the blue is power supplied by the relay. Yellow is the ground wire that goes to the modulator, to be grounded through a resistor for low pump or direct to ground for high pump.
If the pump turns on for a few seconds, when you turn the key on, then the relay and pump are working OK.

To check if the pumps ground is connected, put a ground on the Yellow wire. Take a length of wire, stick one end in the Yellow connector, so that it is connected to the yellow wire, ground the other end, turn the Ign on, see if the pump will run.

Harvey.
what he said
Old 04-03-2011, 01:01 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

How much fuel? While not an SVX, my buddies car recently had starting issues and it sat in his driveway for almost a full month because he couldn't figure it out. Turns out after adding 2 gallons, it started right up... and hasn't had a problem since. I know he was low on gas, he knows he was low.. but apparently something was goofy with the gauge.

Had another friend replace a fuel pump on his car, same issue.. didn't have enough gas. Of course, we laugh about it later. Needless to say this probably isn't your case but just saying, if it is 'rather low', you're gonna add gas anyways so worth a shot? Then again, you did mention the lack of whirring noise....
Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 AM
SVX Addict

Registered SVX

Soooo, the fuel pump is under the back seat? Remove rear cushion?

Mike
Old 04-03-2011, 01:51 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX

My guess would be a bad or melted connection between the fuel pump electrical connector and the plug at the end of the wiring loom.

As the fuel pump ages, it must start drawing more current, and if the connection with the wiring loom is bad, it would start to heat up and eventually damage the connector at the pump.

Yes - you can access the pump by removing the rear seat cushion - the electrical connector is right on top of the access panel.

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 04-03-2011, 02:19 AM
SVX Addict

Registered SVX

Thanks again.

I drove back to where the SVX is this afternoon and performed various 'things'...

I tried banging on the fuel tank from underneath. NO DICE.

I took the back seat cushion out and banged on the top of the fuel tank. NO DICE.

My cousin is a mechanic and is trying to get me a fuel pump (he isn't available to look at my SVX). He said there are TWO sizes. A 34 Millimetre (approx) and a 54 mm (again, I can't remember exact sizes.)

What size does the Australian SVX take? The larger pump is actually cheaper.

Subix - my SVX is just above empty. I should really try putting some more fuel in. I will have to use a jerry can!

What is really worrying me is that my drivers window has a broken sleeve lock regulator I have not had time to fix and a cunning thief only has to 'slide' my window down to gain access. At least it won't start! The suburb it is in is pretty nice, fortunately.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:42 AM
SVX Addict

Registered SVX
Question Re: Help! My SVX is stranded.

Can anyone help me with the PART NUMBER and a brief description for the SVX fuel pump. I am going to buy one tomorrow and need to get the right part at the right price!

I will get a mobile mechanic to fit it.

That is the plan anyway.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...3&d=1270963401

Shows fuel pump part numbers. US part numbers, but maybe it's the same?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

There is a picture and short How-To in the Documents. Good Luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 AM
SVX Addict

Registered SVX

Thanks all.

I will let you know how it all turns out.

I got the part number. Subaru Australia want $1,300. That's $1,344 in your weak US dollar!!

I believe I can get it through Repco between $150 to $350. That is more acceptable.