Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-30-2011, 09:24 AM

turbo idea

i have sr20 injectors, injector connectors, ceramic brake pads F/R, cross drilled and slotted rotors F/R, and i have two brand new GT35R turbos. i am waiting on pistons, and the ecutune stage 2 with MAF.

once my parts are accumulated, i am thinking of a remote mount turbo build.
as there isn't much room under the hood, and no room for an intercooler that i can see.

I want to take out the spare tire, cut the spare tire well out, and weld it back in upside down (instead of bowing donw to hold the spare tire, it would raise upwards into the trunch compartment) to give me a few more inches of clearance to mount the turbo.

the good thing about a remote mount build would be there is no need for an intercooler, as the length of tubing from the turbo mounted in place of the muffler back up to the intake will dissipate heat. I am working the issue of the oiling system for the turbo. I am thinking a reservoir, oil cooler, and pump to keep the turbo oil separate than the engine oil. with a filter of course

I am also thinking of running my exhaust maybe an 1/8 inch smaller diameter to keep my exhaust velocity up, till the turbo. since the gt35r is pretty gnarly in size and i wanna decrease some of the turbo lag without choking up the engine, so i figure 1/8 smaller along the length of the exhasut should be a nice middle ground. Any smaller means more exhaust velocity for faster spool, but less flow

Also the MAF, would it be better to mount the MAF and filter in the trunk area, by cutting off the connector to the MAF and lengthening the wires, or I am leaning towards this one, run my own ductwork from the factory air box, back to the turbo? I am not sure in the wires for the MAF are some sort of shielded wire.

Any ideas, suggestions, pros, and cons. thanks guys
Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: turbo idea

This sounds really original to say the least but I don't think it's the best idea for a turbo. The closer to the engine the better, right?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM

you can really mount a turbo anywhere you want to as long as it is in the exhaust stream. I haven't see it done, but you could replace your cat with a turbo (i'd be afraid of snagging it on a speed bump or something)

I can see how it may look as though it is gonna be super laggy, but really if you figure the length of tubing from an average turbo, through an intercooler, and then back to the throttle body, i'll bet this set up will only have a foot or two more tubing.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Alright I'll take your word for it as I'm not nearly qualified to argue. Just basing my opinion on what I've been told and seen in the past.

Btw there is room if you remove the a/c stuff or you could relocate the battery to the back (in the trunk).
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Are you planning on getting custom pistons to lower the C/R or not? if not, twin turbo is pointless with the low(ish) amounts of boost the engine can handle before your ring lands on cyl #5 will (yes, I said will) meet their demise.

If you are going with custom pistons, then forget I said anything and good luck.

It is possible to do a twin turbo i/c setup in the engine bay if you remove the ABS and relocate the battery, just a bit tricky
Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I don't think he's planning on a TT remote setup... At least I hope not. 3.3L simply isn't big enough to turn a pair of GT35's, at least not until you're revved to somewhere around the moon.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM

crazy pilot is right. I am worried about how long it's gonna take me to spool up a single gt35. I do plan on lowering the compression ratio down on it.

I learned the hard way about high compression and boost, I was stationed in germany and i had a 2003 ford focus SVT that was supercharged, needless to say high compression plus boost plus the autobahn equals 2 out of 4 pistons with dime sized holes melted into them.

anyways I do plan on moving the battery, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH2eE05JYzA i saw this video and i didn't like how everything looked under the hood with the turbo right in your face and all. my goal is to build this thing up yet when you look under the hood she appears to be stock.

I have already done this build a few times in my head, but i want to make sure there aren't any things i may be overlooking i.e. the oiling system for the turbo, but if i use the engine oil to do so i will need a scavenge pump to get it back to the engine.

besides you guys may have better ideas to fix a few things, i think are already fixed.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 03-30-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM

the ultimate goal is to build it into an auto cross car, but for now i plan on keeping the factory A/C in tact since it works and i am in southern georgia and it gets hot. I plan on getting the ecutune stage2 with MAF and connector next, then i can swap that stuff in with the injectors.

i may go as far as mounting the turbo and plumbing the oil system and all that, but not having it hooked up to the intake side just yet, i still need some more parts, i.e. external waste gate, blow off valve, wide band o2 etc. etc.

the only point to mounting most if it up would be to keep the parts from laying around and also to let me experiment with different exhaust sizes to see how much lag i have, or how much i have choked up the engine, kinda set it up on the fly.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:21 PM

Registered SVX

I have a buncha pictures of a beautiful fox body stang with twin turbos in the trunk if ya want me to dig them up for you
Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR

so basically you want to build an STS type setup... do it up!!!!

http://www.ststurbo.com/
Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM

yeah that is the type of setup i am goin for.

anyone have any suggestions for the MAF location, extend the wires, and move it to the trunk area, or use ductwork to use the factory air box and factory location?

what about the turbo oil system? Separate it from the engine oil, or let the engine oil system lube it? what about getting the oil back to the engine?
thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 PM

Registered SVX

i brought up this idea awhile ago here
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55726
Old 03-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I don't think he's planning on a TT remote setup... At least I hope not. 3.3L simply isn't big enough to turn a pair of GT35's, at least not until you're revved to somewhere around the moon.
Wasn't sure. I just saw he had 2 turbos so I was a little confused.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:08 AM

i would appreciate those pics jay wrix. i need all ideas i can find. thanks