Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 AM

Hello, my name is............................

Tim

Hello to all the forum members.
I have been using this forum as a great resource for a couple of weeks now since I purchased an SVX.

So……………… I am a newbie her and this is my first post.

So lets talk cars (and bikes)? OK…….

My car for the last 16 years. My trusty 1990 Mazda Miata.
Never a problem, never a hiccup, just reliable and fun, fun, fun transportation for over 200,000 Kms of service. It is no wonder to me that these are the most raced cars in the world. But, I only drive in the winter and last winter had me stuck for a few days…………….. well that and the fact that I have 2 young boys now and there are no back seats. So I sold her for $1000 bucks and started looking for a SUBARU AWD!

Then the SUBARU I found. “Miney”
It was a 1995 Impreza. It was cheep and practical and AWD.
I drove this car for a total of 3 times before deciding that I could not live with it.
It sucked so badly compared to my trusty Miata.
I sold it for quite a loss just to get rid of it ASAP.

Miney

I had been searching for and researching the SVX for quite some time, but there were none to be had in my neck of the woods (Vancouver, BC). But then at the same time as I was trying to get rid of the Impreza, My wife spotted a small ad on Craigslist and responded to it immediately. The seller brought the car to me as he was hot to sell. When I first saw her, I knew I had to have her. I had not seen an SVX in person (only pictures). She was beautiful under all the dirt and grime (owner did not care for her). My favourite paint scheme and no spoiler!! My dream car had arrived. I looked her over very carefully and was amazed at the condition of the body and paint, almost perfect, one little scuff on the front corner of the bumper and no dents or dings down the doors or anywhere.

BUT and it’s a big BUT, she has 224,000 miles on her! Leaking oil, rims were shot, interior was filthy and leather has rips and cracks in the driver seat. A test drive revealed warped rotors and some serious tranny shift lag between 2 and 3 (felt like it shifts twice with a 2 second gap) , some vibration at highway speed and a little bit of play in the steering.

All electricals and power options are working except for the fuel gauge (intermittent), the rear defrost button backlight, and the cruise button backlight.
I BOUGHT HER ANYWAY (cheep)

First thing I did was change the oil and filter………. and man, it looked like it hadn’t been changed in a year of so.
Then the external trans oil filter got changed. She has an external trans oil cooler, Yay!
Then the air filter (she was choking)

Then I had to address the wheels. They had brand new tires on them, but the finish on the rims was flaking off like crazy. I put on a set of 18” RSS Syoua-10 rims (+42 offset is absolutely perfect) with Falcon 225/40/18 tires.
Well what do you know………… the stock rims were torqued unevenly and up to over 130ft/lbs. Once I got the new wheelset on and torqued correctly to 85ft/lbs, the breaks felt allot less warped and there was no more vibration at high speed….hmmmmmmmmmmm,

The remote key transmitters were not working, but a couple of batteries got that system up and running like a top.

The cars battery died a couple days later and I bought a new one and added the 4guage wire modifications (specified in this forum) to the grounds and positive direct to alternator post.

I have adjusted the transmission break band (3 times so far and counting) and the shifts are almost perfect now. There is a little slippage under full throttle between 1-2 and 3-4, but otherwise they are instant and solid. 2-3 still feels laggy (3/4 second) as the transmission shifts from the low to high drum (as I understand it from reading this forum). I will keep on tightening the band little by little till it feels right (Tell me if I am wrong in doing this).
The transmission has an external cooler and I will only be driving this car in the winter (up here in CANADA), so it should last if I maintain it properly (tranny #3 for this car by the way)

I have just bought myself a set of subs and an amp for the trunk, but have not yet installed them ( I have not had bass since high school).
What is really cool about the subs is that they match the pearl white paint perfectly; it is like they were meant for each other. (Infinity Reference 1030W)

Now I have allot of maintenance and mechanical work to do, so I will be asking questions here as I go along. I am planning on changing the tranny fluid and pan gasket and internal filter ASAP. I have a set of 4 new rotors and 8 break pads on order. I need to replace the head gaskets (there are indications of leakage). Then its onto timing belt and seals and hoses etc. etc.

“Jazzmine” SVX-LS-L

Here is my wife’s car “Alice”
This car is the reason I got turned on to SUBARU.
It is a 2005, 5-speed, Legacy, 2.5 Turbo, GTX wagon. The X you ask? It was added by the Kolb dealership (US import) when they modified the car prior to sale (full Borla exhaust, 18” wheels, suspension, intake, interior, sound etc)
What a machine!!

Alice

Alice GTX

I mentioned that I only drive a car in the winter.
Well….that is because I only insure a motorcycle for the rest of the year.
I have been riding for 17 years now.

My previous bike "Amber" had over 100,000 kms on her when I sold her.

The year before last I bought my first ever brand new vehicle.
My new bike. “Raya”
A 2007 Kawasaki ZX14. One word. CRAZY!! I can’t believe that they can even legally sell a vehicle like this. Let me compare its acceleration to a car. It is the equivalent of a 1000HP supercar (Bugatti Veyron)
ZX-14 0-60 in 2.5 sec (Vyron is 2.8)
¼ mile in under 10 Sec.
And that is bone stock.
The first winter I had her all apart, all over my garage, (my brand new under warranty bike). I logged over 20 modifications before the new year, now she is perfect.

My daily commuter and transportation for 6-8 months out of the year, rain or shine.
I just cracked the 20, 000 Km mark

This biking season I will be working on the SVX “Jazzmine” while she is off the road.

Raya Front end

My wife also rides (and the kids love to double up behind too).
Here we are the year before last, camping way up in the hills of Washington State

Now she has a new bike that is a better fit for her.
This is a pic from last years trip across Washington State.

Anyway, that is a little intro for me... Yah, I name my vehicles.
Cheers
Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
Re: Hello, my name is............................

Welcome Tim. That is quite a collection you have there. The pearly is beautiful. (I'm a sucker for pearlies). Good luck with your new SVX and safe riding.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

I thought this thread was going to somewhere along the line of "Hello. My Name Is Inigo Montoya. You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die." but it did not.

Nice pearly and welcome to the network !

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 11-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Tim,

I started reading your story with keen interest and was going to tell you about another member in Vancouver with a 1992 pearlie. His name is Chris Gooderham "CDG".

Upon looking at your photos, I realized that your car was my very first SVX, known as the svxcess-pearlie".

Besides not having a spoiler, the first tipoff was the AWD emblem on the rear, which I put on the car many years ago.

The absolute clincher were the ALL WHEEL DRIVE decals in the rear side windows. I did that to both my pearlie and my 96 Polo.

Photos of the pearlie, before you or Chris had it, can be found HERE and also HERE

The story of how I originally got this pearlie can be found HERE

Click HERE to see the thread on my listing of "your" pearlie for sale. Chris eventually bought it

She still looks amazing even after 10 years. I hope you continue to enjoy her the way that I did. I don't know if Chris passed in all of the maintenence records to you. I know that I installed on the alternator wiring upgrade (see engine photos)

Your main expense will be the head gaskets. They fail due to age more than mileage. I just replaced them on my 1996 polo with 125,000 miles. When you do them is also the best time to replace the timing belt, plugs and reseal.

Welcome to the family, you will find a vast amount of information and assistance here. Never hesitate to ask anything.

Email or PM me with any additional questions you have, Also my cell phone number is 410-746-6770.

John

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-25-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Welcome to the wonderful car forum.

Do you really mean "head gaskets" or valve cover gaskets? What is the type of leak identified? Just oil or other problems?

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM

Great choice in cars, man.

I also have most of those.

SVX- check. I wish mine looked as clean as the pearlie you have there.

2005 Legacy GT - check. Mine is a sedan... you had better keep that rare wagon in good shape. An amazing car, indeed.

1999 Miata, the wife's non-winter car, now that we have two AWD subarus.

I also have a 1989 Honda Hawk GT, very nearly like the one you have pictured there, (the red bike laden down with bags...) along side your nice Kawasaki... I was supposed to sell it to pay for the SVX, and some maintenance on the Legacy... but I haven't yet found a buyer.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Great choice in cars, man.

I also have most of those.

SVX- check. I wish mine looked as clean as the pearlie you have there.

2005 Legacy GT - check. Mine is a sedan... you had better keep that rare wagon in good shape. An amazing car, indeed.

1999 Miata, the wife's non-winter car, now that we have two AWD subarus.

I also have a 1989 Honda Hawk GT, very nearly like the one you have pictured there, (the red bike laden down with bags...) along side your nice Kawasaki... I was supposed to sell it to pay for the SVX, and some maintenance on the Legacy... but I haven't yet found a buyer.
We obviously have excellent tastes is vehicles!
My wife absolutely loves her Hawk. She had a Honda Bros 400 before but this hot rod Hawk is the ticket!
Try posting the Hawk for sale on the Honda Hawk Forum it is very active.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Tim,

I realized that your car was my very first SVX, known as the svxcess-pearlie".
Hey John,

WOW! That is fantastic!
Now I have the full history of Jazzmine.
I really enjoyed the story of how you found and purchased her.
I have all the records , printouts, and manuals that were kept, right back to the original window sticker (very cool). Along with a big plastic box of parts, pieces and a remote starter system and a timing light.

I looks like all the owners, save for the guy I bought it from (the person Chris sold it to) cared about her.
Those pictures of the engine compartment make me a little sad. What happened? The entire engine is now covered in grime and oil and the intake cover is cracked.

Oh well, I will get her back to her previous glory with a little hard work

I PM'ed Chris to tell him about the car.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
Welcome to the wonderful car forum.

Do you really mean "head gaskets" or valve cover gaskets? What is the type of leak identified? Just oil or other problems?

Lee
Not sure yet, I have not had a compression test done, but there is alot of oil seepage and a puff of blue when the car is started cold.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Registered SVX

Wow, wonderful car, wonderful bike, i had an 1990 Kawasaki KLR that i sold to pay part of my SVX price, what a good and trusty bike, i miss her in this summer!
But anyways, i am jealous, i want my own Raya!
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I am grateful for this forum as I have searched and found much valuable info that has acquainted me with this unique car.

Here is a pic of the subs (Infinity Reference 1030W) that match the Pearlie so perfectly. I need to find a wiring kit and do the install still.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
We obviously have excellent tastes is vehicles!
My wife absolutely loves her Hawk. She had a Honda Bros 400 before but this hot rod Hawk is the ticket!
Try posting the Hawk for sale on the Honda Hawk Forum it is very active.
I have... it got lots of comments, but no real bites.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Welcome to the site. I am a little slow on this thread. I am just to the south of you and have know CDG for quite a few years. Great guy! Watch the Northwest forum for some of our great meets and get togethers. Hope to meet you sometime in the future.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 11-21-2009, 03:15 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG

Hey there Tim, welcome to the site, so glad to see you made your way here, and that this Pearlie has made it to another devoted suby fan.

It is all John and I had ever hoped for, to see our little girl grow up, still looking hot, and even hotter now, and having another loving owner.....
Was that over the top?

Tim, she's a great car, just needs the love.

Hope to see it in person again soon.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 11-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
Welcome to the site. I am a little slow on this thread. I am just to the south of you and have know CDG for quite a few years. Great guy! Watch the Northwest forum for some of our great meets and get togethers. Hope to meet you sometime in the future.
Thanks for the welcome, I will check the Northwes forum and see if I can make it out to a get together.
I would like to meet other SVX enthusiasts in person too.
I have been on the phone with "CDG" and will meet up with him soon.