Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM

Valves/Springs

What valves/springs do we use to upgrade? I heard the EG33 is hydrolic unlike the WRX so we cant use WRX ones apparently.

This is second hand information so I don't know how correct it is but I would really like input as Im about to build a bullet proof engine and I want to know what are available. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

I hear that ECUtune makes them, anyone else? Or is the whole WRX ones not working is a myth? Let me know!

PS: I searched and didnt see anything about this, if its been asked before I apologize

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Valves/Springs

Im going to ask to move this thread to Mod Mania first off...

Secondly the info you got it good, but it has holes

You cannot use wrx valve with the stock lifters, they are about 10mm longer roughly which is too much for the Hydro lifters to make up. So what some have done and I will be doing next week is gutting the hydro lifter and using shim under to set the lash. Converting to a solid lifter will give you much better options for camshaft profiles and lift. You will need to convert to single spring and make sure you get all the bits and pieces along the way.

Valves
Springs
Retainers to match springs
Spring seats to match springs
Tapered valve half moons (cannot think of the name of them for some ungodly reason) to match valves.

Now the early wrx valves are the ones I am going to use. They are the right diameter to fit out seats and guides. You can go with oversized valves but make sure your piston selection will be able to utilize the larger diameter valve.

Now for cams, there is no golden recipe like there is with an EJ motor. All custom profiles are one off more or less for specific applications. I suggest you contact Web Cams in CA. I am using them for an N/A cam and they have done me well even if they cost more than anyone else, I know they are the best at what they do

Tom
Old 08-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Maniac modifier

The valves, springs, and retainers I chose you can find here... http://www.briancrower.com/makes/subaru/ej205.shtml

Tom
Old 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Delta Cams wants 200 dollars per cam for a regrind and they have EG33 experience.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

One spring? What did EFILogics use in their engine? It was a dual spring... no?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
Delta Cams wants 200 dollars per cam for a regrind and they have EG33 experience.
yes but not a lot of profiles to chose from. Web was much better at getting a profile for the specifics of the engine I am building. Delta I have used in the past but they seemed pretty reluctant to deal with a custom profile for me this time so I used Web instead. Expect close to $1700 for a set from Web but they are very good at what they do. Jack Chose Web for the same reason I did.

Tom
Old 08-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
One spring? What did EFILogics use in their engine? It was a dual spring... no?
No, the EJ series valves take a single spring... I mean you can get near an inch of valve lift with the Crower springs with no modifications.... What more could you ask for??

Tom
Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
The valves, springs, and retainers I chose you can find here... http://www.briancrower.com/makes/subaru/ej205.shtml

Tom

Thanks for the info tom, very helpful.

These will probably be what I pick up, I have always used supertech valves and springs but I put BC cams in my last build and really liked them (272/272 duration) so I will probably be making the jump to their valvetrain.

As for the cams, Im not sure which ones I will go with but the DELTA ones being half the price is very temping to me as the GF's cheapness is starting to rub off on me. That being said I want to have a motor built for a ridiculous amount of power (ordering a Precision Billet 6765 turbo in the next few weeks to replace the current 60-1)

My other question is.... since we can use EJ22 rods, bearing, and pistons, can we also use the EJ22 darton sleeves?

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_paynter View Post
Thanks for the info tom, very helpful.

These will probably be what I pick up, I have always used supertech valves and springs but I put BC cams in my last build and really liked them (272/272 duration) so I will probably be making the jump to their valvetrain.

As for the cams, Im not sure which ones I will go with but the DELTA ones being half the price is very temping to me as the GF's cheapness is starting to rub off on me. That being said I want to have a motor built for a ridiculous amount of power (ordering a Precision Billet 6765 turbo in the next few weeks to replace the current 60-1)

My other question is.... since we can use EJ22 rods, bearing, and pistons, can we also use the EJ22 darton sleeves?
I would never use 2.2l pistons... ever. The combustion chambers are very different and thus effects the entire combustion process.

99% of the time, if it is a cheaper route... its not the better route. just remember that. When a piece of piston lets go and take out the turbo and the cyl head you put all the money into.

Tom
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I would never use 2.2l pistons... ever. The combustion chambers are very different and thus effects the entire combustion process.

99% of the time, if it is a cheaper route... its not the better route. just remember that. When a piece of piston lets go and take out the turbo and the cyl head you put all the money into.

Tom
I wasn't going to use OEM ones. I was just told that the cylinders are the exact same bore and stroke as the EJ22, just 2 extra cylinders added. I had a set of 6 wiesco pistons set up but If they aren't going to be any good then im glad i know now. Does the same go for the rods and bearings?

I am not one for cheaping out on builds, I was just wrongfully informed. Thanks again for the heads up!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Thats all correct but there is a difference somewhere else, I'm guessing with the heads. You'll get terrible compression if you use them.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Maniac modifier

Yes the heads are where the difference is. The bearings and rods are good to take-off for the EG33.

Tom