IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: symptom help request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
My tranny is a Subaru reman unit with roughly 30k on it. I don't know exactly, I need to call Patrick and see if he still has the receipt from the car it came out of...
Well that won't apply to your gearbox.

I wouldn't have thought that the band would need adjusting after only 30k, but it has to be done.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Well that won't apply to your gearbox.

I wouldn't have thought that the band would need adjusting after only 30k, but it has to be done.

Harvey.
My transmission failed somewhere around 30-40k miles. Not completely sure, the prev owner said it was replaced somewhere around 70K. I got it with 101k and adjusted the brake band after a couple weeks and it wasn't enough to save it. I know he wasn't bsing me either as I had everything apart awhile back when I thought the motor knock was possibly a cracked flexplate and it was obvious enough to tell things had been taken apart before.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

the apply pressure and high clutch pack in a stock spec transmission is borederline at best. Any rebuild that doesn't address all the seals (there are a couple special order ones not included in an overhaul set) is a candidate to start right off on the wrong side of that border and keep heading south as the high clutch wears.

There are two sides to that timing between the band releasing and the high clutch grabbing. If the high clutch is slipping it will take longer to lock up. Part of what makes my transmissions shift so fast is that the stronger clutch packs catch faster.

Probably the biggest hint to telling if it is only the brake band or if it involves the high clutch too is your performance in 3rd and 4th. Just because the car keeps moving doesn't mean it isn't slipping; how good is acceleration in 3rd and 4th? how quick is the 2 to 3 shift? What rpm are you at at what speed in 3rd? Asking and answering those questions acurately can help you figure out what's going on. Access to a healthy SVX can help with the acuracy of those assesments.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
the apply pressure and high clutch pack in a stock spec transmission is borederline at best. Any rebuild that doesn't address all the seals (there are a couple special order ones not included in an overhaul set) is a candidate to start right off on the wrong side of that border and keep heading south as the high clutch wears.

There are two sides to that timing between the band releasing and the high clutch grabbing. If the high clutch is slipping it will take longer to lock up. Part of what makes my transmissions shift so fast is that the stronger clutch packs catch faster.

Probably the biggest hint to telling if it is only the brake band or if it involves the high clutch too is your performance in 3rd and 4th. Just because the car keeps moving doesn't mean it isn't slipping; how good is acceleration in 3rd and 4th? how quick is the 2 to 3 shift? What rpm are you at at what speed in 3rd? Asking and answering those questions acurately can help you figure out what's going on. Access to a healthy SVX can help with the acuracy of those assesments.
Have to agree with you Mike. Mine I knew was both the brake band as well as the high clutch. Not only did it have the 2-3 shift flare but also when it was in "D" and it was in 4th gear (lockup or not) if you very lightly depressed the gas it would not slip but if you hit the gas a little bit, say 1/4 throttle, it would slip until it went back into 3rd gear. That is probably the best way to describe the high clutch going out. Also just to note when it was going, if I drove in "3", acceleration was perfectly fine through the gears-no slipping under any conditions in 3rd gear.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Have to agree with you Mike. Mine I knew was both the brake band as well as the high clutch. Not only did it have the 2-3 shift flare but also when it was in "D" and it was in 4th gear (lockup or not) if you very lightly depressed the gas it would not slip but if you hit the gas a little bit, say 1/4 throttle, it would slip until it went back into 3rd gear. That is probably the best way to describe the high clutch going out. Also just to note when it was going, if I drove in "3", acceleration was perfectly fine through the gears-no slipping under any conditions in 3rd gear.
No that was not the high clutch going out, it was the band slipping. 3rd gear is the high clutch only. For 4th gear the high clutch stays on and the band is applied also, to give 4th. The slipping that you felt in 4th was the band slipping, so the box kept driving in 3rd.

If the high clutch was to slip in 4th, the box would go back to 2nd, and if it slipped in 3rd it would go back to 1st.

Now I am not saying that your high clutch was OK, just that the symptoms that you describe, are not for a failed high clutch.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
I'm pretty sure mine is only the brake band, if it's not the TPS adjustment, since I can hammer on it on the freeway and it goes just fine! It only does it under VERY LIGHT throttle, like if I'm cruising along at 20-25 MPH, but if I goose it to get it up to 30 or so, then back out completely and let it shift, it's fine.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
I'm pretty sure mine is only the brake band, if it's not the TPS adjustment, since I can hammer on it on the freeway and it goes just fine! It only does it under VERY LIGHT throttle, like if I'm cruising along at 20-25 MPH, but if I goose it to get it up to 30 or so, then back out completely and let it shift, it's fine.
This is my symptom as well HS. My car shifts perfectly when i give it gas and i've never had any issues going from 3 to 4. With my 3 occurences of "flaring" between 2nd and 3rd (with shifter in 3) it has always caught me by surprise because i'm hardly giving it any gas.

The new posts on this thread have me feeling a bit better. The other thread with the posts making it sound like adjusting the brake band was only going to delay the inevitable failure were not good for my nerves...sounds like the issue i'm having is totally different.

So if the brake band is adjusted my transmission should be ok (for as long as these things last)?

Last edited by oregondave; 03-23-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM

nevermind sorry

Last edited by oregondave; 03-23-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: figured it out
Old 03-24-2009, 06:44 AM
Just some dude.

It's possible but not likely. The friction material on a brake band isn't all that thick to begin with and the brake band servo has something like half an inch of travel. Generally, if they are worn enough to cause impropper operation they are pretty much shot. Also, the brake band should be releasing quickly to begin with and it's reasonable to assume the high clutch is getting slower to catch.

As things slip they wear rapidly. If you are hoping to not have to change transmissions you need to adjust your tps and brake band yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondave View Post
So if the brake band is adjusted my transmission should be ok (for as long as these things last)?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
It's possible but not likely. The friction material on a brake band isn't all that thick to begin with and the brake band servo has something like half an inch of travel. Generally, if they are worn enough to cause impropper operation they are pretty much shot. Also, the brake band should be releasing quickly to begin with and it's reasonable to assume the high clutch is getting slower to catch.

As things slip they wear rapidly. If you are hoping to not have to change transmissions you need to adjust your tps and brake band yesterday.
getting the brake band adjusted today. as you seem to be on the pessimistic side of this debate i'll hope you're wrong...
Old 03-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Just some dude.

lol, fair enough--sounds good.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 PM

okay so I had the brake band adjusted and the tech said it was 3/4 of a turn out of adjustment (loose). He checked the TPS and said he got a reading of .53 which was within specs (I see that many here like .48-.50).

The car shifted good before but seems noticeably better now. The shifts are firmer and smoother.

I guess we'll see if it flares again...
Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Just some dude.

good luck, hopefully it holds
Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
good luck, hopefully it holds
Thanks! so at this point would it be safe to install your tcu or the quick change mod? would it put more pressure on the brake band or would it help preserve things?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Just some dude.

My tcu is just to make the car drive better and improve fuel economy it doesn't do much to make it last longer. Having me rework a valve body for you would greatly help your transmisison last longer and make it shift much faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondave View Post
Thanks! so at this point would it be safe to install your tcu or the quick change mod? would it put more pressure on the brake band or would it help preserve things?