SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101
Question How clean for head gaskets??

How clean is good enough for new head gaskets? I've had some people tell me to use a green scrubbing pad, or very very light sanding to get everything off, but I'm afraid of damaging the surface.

Here are what I have so far on one of the heads and one side of the block, is this good enough? It feels quite smooth to the touch.

Here was how it looked prior to cleaning

And now after:

Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Re: How clean for head gaskets??

We use 3M Roloc Bristle Discs at my work (There are three colors, yellow is for aluminum and steel, and then there is green and white, and I THINK green is steel and white is aluminum but I'm not 100% positive but the package should say) You just use one in a die grinder (You may need to buy an arbor, but they are worth it since there are all sorts of Roloc sanding and polishing pads out there.) and clean it off, you will want it cleaner than you have it.

Just make sure you don't use the wrong disk cuz if you make a divot in the surface, it won't seal and you'll have to have it shaved.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
We use 3M Roloc Bristle Discs at my work (There are three colors, yellow is for aluminum and steel, and then there is green and white, and I THINK green is steel and white is aluminum but I'm not 100% positive but the package should say) You just use one in a die grinder (You may need to buy an arbor, but they are worth it since there are all sorts of Roloc sanding and polishing pads out there.) and clean it off, you will want it cleaner than you have it.

Just make sure you don't use the wrong disk cuz if you make a divot in the surface, it won't seal and you'll have to have it shaved.

What does one do about all of the little bits of stuff that will get down in the coolant and oil passages? (I'm assuming this gets done on both the head and the block)
Old 03-17-2009, 08:32 PM

The head you should have resurfaced at a machine shop. That'll make it nice and clean.

If you use the cleaning disk method (I personally use a razor scraper *very* carefully, followed up with brake cleaner), then I wouldn't be too too worried about stuff getting into the coolant or oil passages. Just do it with the engine angled slightly down so gravity is on your side, and if you have a shop vac leave it running to absorb any dust. The minute amount that makes it into your oil should get scrubbed out by the filter.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

I'm a bit confused. I've done the razor blade and brake cleaner method, and they are completely smooth to the touch now.

The picture shows what look like stains, but they have no texture. What is wrong with having that on there? (this is an honest question, not a sarcastic bit of lip)

I'm not willing to risk sanding the block or heads, I'm not good enough to be sure I have no divits or anything

Last edited by techy101; 03-17-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

The block should be fine. While the heads are smooth to the touch, you'll still want to take them to a machine shop to have them checked to make sure they're absolutely "flat". It's the heads that will warp and cause leakage, not the block.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy101 View Post
What does one do about all of the little bits of stuff that will get down in the coolant and oil passages? (I'm assuming this gets done on both the head and the block)
Shop air and brake cleaner

If you have all the bits of gasket and sealing material off, you should be okay, you just need a very clean surface for the gasket to seal properly. As for the heads, I would have them checked just to be safe, but if the car's never been overheated you are probably okay, but while you have it apart, you might as well have them checked.

This is what we use: http://www.shop3m.com/61500132180.ht...MMARINECatalog

You should be able to get them from an auto parts store, the online thing only lists them in a box of 10 for $70, and one disc will last a long time, You will want the white disk, they are the ones for aluminum. (You have to try really hard to gouge the block with these!)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta