Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2009, 10:55 AM

Tribeca Rear Brakes?

Has anyone looked into using Tribeca rear brake rotors/calipers on the SVX? I was looking on Legacy Central to figure out some problems with my Legacy parking brakes and saw that the Tribeca has a 5x114.3 bolt pattern with a 170 mm parking brake. It uses a 320x18 mm rotor so that would be quite an upgrade for us if it worked...
Old 01-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: Tribeca Rear Brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbr View Post
Has anyone looked into using Tribeca rear brake rotors/calipers on the SVX? I was looking on Legacy Central to figure out some problems with my Legacy parking brakes and saw that the Tribeca has a 5x114.3 bolt pattern with a 170 mm parking brake. It uses a 320x18 mm rotor so that would be quite an upgrade for us if it worked...
Turns out they are vented rears also.

The fronts are 318x20mm. Still would be a 2potF/1potR system. Gotta think of the unsprung weight it might add aswell.

It could deffinetly use some more looking into though.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 PM

Regarding the Tribeca front brakes, this is what I found on Legacy Central from one who has done much more research than me:

Quote:
The SVX has brakes that are about the same size as WRX brakes and the SVX has 5x114.3 hubs. However, up front, the rotor hat offset (how close or far the rotor surface is from the hub) is different from that on other Subarus. The knuckle also locates the caliper bracket in a different position. That unfortunately means that you can't just buy some 05-07 STi brembos or Tribeca brakes or something to upgrade your SVX. I'm pretty sure that in the rear things are compatible with other Subarus.
Here is the complete thread, which contains descriptions of all available subaru brakes:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=36289
Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Interesting idea.. The only problem for me might be that the Tribeca is a relatively new vehicle, so there isn't a lot of likelihood of used Tribeca calipers being all over the market, and new might be kind of expensive.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Interesting idea.. The only problem for me might be that the Tribeca is a relatively new vehicle, so there isn't a lot of likelihood of used Tribeca calipers being all over the market, and new might be kind of expensive.
Looking at Rock Auto, it looks like it would be about $300 for the calipers. I see it as a cheap way to upgrade it compared to our current options (nil for the rear unless you get it custom made)...

Still it is kind of expensive to try without knowing if it would work or not. I might have to see what Rock Auto's return policy is.

EDIT - They have a great return policy, so I might try this once I get the Legacy running and get the SVX in the garage...

Last edited by taylorbr; 01-24-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbr View Post
Regarding the Tribeca front brakes, this is what I found on Legacy Central from one who has done much more research than me:

Here is the complete thread, which contains descriptions of all available subaru brakes:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=36289
That was deffinetly an interesting read!

I've currently got an '06 STi sitting my driveway waiting on a full engine build. Maybe I can talk the owner into letting me take some measurements off some things.

Dustin

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 01-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
I've currently got an '06 STi sitting my driveway waiting on a full engine build. Maybe I can talk the owner into letting me take some measurements off some things.
The STi Brembo's have already been measured up and checked out, they don't work with the SVX.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 01-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
The STi Brembo's have already been measured up and checked out, they don't work with the SVX.
They bolt up, but stand to far out.

That might be fixable with a bracket.

I don't think the rears have been measured either.

And I can check hub/suspension measurements aswell (which is more what I was implying at).

Sorry about the confusion.

Dustin

My Locker

Old 01-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Ah, gotcha. What would you like to know about suspension measurements? I borrowed a V7 STi suspension from a local Subie club member to measure and compare to the stock SVX parts. I've got most of the important numbers stored here somewhere. The long and short of it is that it should be doable, but requires some "make-it-work-ness", involving grinding, drilling, welding...

Old 01-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. What would you like to know about suspension measurements? I borrowed a V7 STi suspension from a local Subie club member to measure and compare to the stock SVX parts. I've got most of the important numbers stored here somewhere. The long and short of it is that it should be doable, but requires some "make-it-work-ness", involving grinding, drilling, welding...
What all would we have to do to use them?

Do you know how the hubs compare between the two?

Dustin

My Locker

Old 01-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Here's the summary of what's needed, from the thread I had going on the planning of this swap (thread here). I don't think it's impossible, but it looks to be a fairly involved process. If I do end up going this route, it will be with adjustable coilovers for the summer and stock Impreza struts for the winter (or maybe even Forester suspension, lift the car a couple inches for some serious snow blasting action.)

Quote:
The STI suspension CAN be used, with modifications.

1. Both front and rear SVX knuckles will have to be thinned somehow to fit into the strut mounting flange. Either by machining or grinding. Or you can pry the flange open to fit onto the SVX knuckle.

2. SVX top mounts will have to be used, or the shock towers in the SVX body will have to be drilled and cut to accomodate the different bolt patterns. Alternatively, it may be possible to drill holes in the STi top mount and relocate the studs to a position that matches the SVX.

3. A bracket will have to be welded to the front control arms, allowing an aftermarket swaybar endlink to attach to the control arm rather than the strut. A rear '05 Outback endlink works perfectly.

4. The rear STI suspension will have to be compressed. This will sacrifice roughly 1.5" of rear suspension travel. To prevent the shocks from bottoming out a higher spring rate will have to be used. This will obviously have an effect on the handling characteristics.

Cost for this way of doing it: STI suspension+machining cost for knuckles+SVX top mounts+2005 Outback endlinks+bracket+welding bracket to control arm.

The big ticket option: Use a custom machined balljoint adapter to use the STI front knuckle. This allows you to use STI Brembos, and any other BBK for the STI.

Cost for this option: All of option A (minus machining knuckle) + balljoint adapter+STI knuckle and associated parts+Brembos
As for the hubs, I haven't looked into it. Obviously the bolt pattern is the same, and the overall diameter is likely to be the same, but I don't know about the diameter of the shaft (that goes inside the bearing). The splines for the axles are identical.