SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Smile SVX Transmission question

Ive been reading a lot about the transmission problems plageuing the 92's, having to do with the micro filter screen in the radiator??? I bought the car used from a charity auction and would like to know how to find out if the problem was already addressed in this car. Is there a number i could find on the radiator or transmission to find if it has been replaced already..... or some other method to see if I have the original problematic trans/radiator?? I need to drive it about 1000 miles later this month and id feel better if I didnt have to worry about the tranny going out,thanks guys.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: SVX Transmission question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Ive been reading a lot about the transmission problems plageuing the 92's, having to do with the micro filter screen in the radiator??? I bought the car used from a charity auction and would like to know how to find out if the problem was already addressed in this car. Is there a number i could find on the radiator or transmission to find if it has been replaced already..... or some other method to see if I have the original problematic trans/radiator?? I need to drive it about 1000 miles later this month and id feel better if I didnt have to worry about the tranny going out,thanks guys.
You don't say what model, or how long you have had it. I guess it is an 91/92 that you have just got, so unless the radiator has been replaced, it will have the mesh in the ATF cooler.
Check the oil on the dipstick to see if it is pink or a brown colour, smell it to see if it has a burnt smell. If it is pink and smells clean, don't worry. If it is a brown or it smells burnt, get the cooler flushed out and change the oil.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Transmission question

Ok thanks..... did a drain and refill, the ATF was still pretty pink but did smell a bit burnt. Is there any way to check the codes or numbers on the transmission to see if it is original?? I know a lot of the 92 trannys crapped out so im wondering if it happened on mine before I bought it.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.