SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2008, 02:39 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Post My trip to All We'll Drive, NJ! (Long post)

I just wanted to share the positive experience I had in dealing with the guys at "All We'll Drive" in Jersey and picking up my 1st SVX.

Buying a car out of state is something I've never done before and was quite leery on, but I knew in order to obtain the vehicle I long desired (non other than the SVX) I would have to do some traveling or pay an obscene amount to have it shipped, which wasn't an option. (As I had only seen 2 other SVXs in my own state... both which were not for sale).

Several months had passed with what seemed to be chances at owning a decent SVX at a pretty good price thrown at me left and right and then taken back as they all would sell before I had the chance to finalize the deal. I was *this* close to getting a 92' green SVX for $1200 (which turns out to have had a slip up in the transmission from my understanding and a dent in the rear passenger side, but the transmission issue wasn't a surprise exactly after reading up on the history of the beast.)

Both friends and family were bewildered by the fact that I was traveling such a long distance for "just a car!". Of course they had seen pictures of the SVX after trying to describe to them just the car I was trying to obtain yet the confusion was still set in place. "Why doesn't he just get a car here locally?" "With the money he's going to spend, he could just put that down on a car here." and so on.

Well, the car I wanted wasn't available locally *and* I was done with making payments. It's nice not to have to throw $250 a month out the window for what seems like eternity. Besides, with the $250 a month that I wasn't spending on a payment I figured would be displaced by gas and parts if/when the need may arise. Plus, if I'm going to buy a car, it may as well be one I want, right?

Jump back for a moment, before even considering the purchase of such a unique car that's within the sports car category and of course insurance prices were a concern. However, being a 14+ year old car I had figured that the prices weren't going to be so bad. I've been through American Family Insurance for the past 5 or so years and have had a clean driving record with the exception of an accident in which I was not at fault for. Upon calling up my local agency to have them add the vehicle for PLPD, they threw back $32.00 a month. Shocked, I asked how much full coverage was.... which came back at a clean $60. Mind you, I'm 26 years old as well. So with peace of mind in the clear from the lower than expected insurance prices, I proceeded.

Mike (from AWD) had PM'ed me giving me a heads up on a 1994 Bordeaux LSi that they were going to be selling soon which needed some work. Some cosmetic issues aside, the main mechanical work needed to be done included:

•2 Rear Wheel Bearings
•Timing Belt & Water Pump replaced
•Rear differential fixed
•Cam seals replaced

The car was posted for sale at an asking price of $1,900. A little higher than what I was originally aiming for but since it didn't appear to have any major transmission issue and only needed the major services done, it would fare well. Not being a fan of tan interior (I know, picky!) I somewhat was not 100% accepting of this particular SVX. However, the pictures proved to be a much lighter tan than the brown or dark brown tan you always see in most other cars. Beige it was and after drooling over the pictures for days and days, I was pretty much reeled in and ready.

After a few weeks of it being listed and no one immediately grabbing it up and with differential fixed included in the price, I decided to bite. Of course, this was after I had been digging around the forums and site for information and the best possible prices to obtain what was needed for a safe 800ish mile trip back to Indy.

Sent off a cashiers check for the majority of the price to hold it and then follow up with complete payment shortly after. I can't remember the last time I had to get a cashiers check but my bank does them for free if they are over $1,000.

Upon ordering the parts, I did come across a few hiccups. Mainly in part numbers and the confusion that Subaruparts.com had given me. I'm not a mechanical person by any stretch of imagination but can pretty much do the basics when it comes to cars. I relied, quite heavily I may add, on the wealth of information within these forums. Subaruparts.com still doesn't seem to be quite up to speed or up to date with part numbers and such so without the numbers listed in a few threads on this site, I'm not sure I would have ever found them (at least, on their site that is).

Rear wheel bearings and the inner/outer jobs were nothing. What concerned me the most was the timing belt and whatever else was needed for it to be complete. After realizing that the price for a complete timing belt kit with whatever other idlers or whatnot was needed, the price for the timing belt jumped to just around $500, minus the labor. Thankfully, some had posted about eBay kits that had the water pump included AND the idlers that were needed (At least, I think that's what they were called). I managed to snag for $289.95 the entire kit, brand new. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...230127926&rd=1

All in all, the parts in total averaged around $500 for everything I needed done, which was a huge saver from the $750+ I would have spent going through other channels for my parts. This bringing the total price of the car at around $2,400, minus labor. Of course, I had All We'll Drive do all the labor on the car so it would be completely hassle free and an ease of mind drive on the way back.

Getting to New Jersey was a chore. 18 hours of a pleasant hell drive on the Grey Hound. Initially it wasn't that bad (seats are ok actually) but as the ride progressed it seemed to drag as I just couldn't really grab much sleep. Prices to eat a bowl of cereal and milk were ridiculous at the bus stations! Thankfully my sisters boyfriend had decided to tag along with me in case of any odd occurrences which may take place on the trip back, you know... so I wouldn't be exactly stranded solo if the unimaginable happened. He however, managed to sleep really well on the bus!

Brain mushed from the lack of sleep and super long bus ride, we finally arrived at the bus station in Atlantic City, NJ. Tom was kind enough to come and pick us up after the long journey there to get the car. (Thanks Tom, not sure if I mentioned it beforehand since I was slightly comatose (as Eric had stated ). Doug (my sidekick) needed a pack of cigs.... at $7 a pack! Expensive, Jersey is! ... and even though I was partially asleep, on the way back to the AWD shop in Tom's SVX, I was pretty excited. His car (manual) friggin flies and sounded pretty good too! At this point all I could do is smile. We grabbed some super high class Burger King before we got to the shop as well... (no seriously, a #1 is like $8.99 there....insanity!) but it worked.

After getting out and wobbling to my very own SVX (that was sitting alongside like 3 others at least, I do believe) I was finally at rest! Really the first thing I noticed was the little white "All We'll Drive" logo on the back and thought that was really cool. The car had looked much better than what the pictures posted led me to believe, which I was quite pleased with. With all the work done and the car ready to go, the keys were handed to me and after putting the plates on, Tom went with us to take it for a quick test drive and fill it up with gas. (Did you know it 's illegal to pump your own gas in Jersey? I went into a minute of shock when I had jumped out of the car ready to pump my gas and Tom was like "What are you doing?!". )

About 10 or 15 minutes of driving it around on on the way back to the shop, the check engine light had came on. Mind you, there wasn't much of a test drive that could have be done before out on the open road as due to time constraints, I didn't get the plates sent off for them to do so. I didn't think too much about the light coming on but Tom said we'll just hook it up to the computer and see what code it's throwing when we get back. His tone led me to feel confident in that all would be ok. It literally took only a minute or so for him to throw the computer on and find out that it was an o2 sensor. Asked if we were in a rush and if not, he would take one of the spares they had and throw it on for me, free of charge. (No hurry or rush here!) I can't really remember what he said but something about I bought it without a check engine light on and I'm leaving without a check engine light on, I believe. Really put me at ease though and threw my car up on the jack to replace the o2 real quick.

While that was being done, Mike and Eric had took Doug and I around the back to check out the SVX graveyard as well as see Dr. Sus. Spent maybe 15 minutes or so chatting around back and as we headed back front Tom was lowering my SVX stating it's all done. Started up and ran perfectly!

Finally, departing from (I think it was WaWa) and some direction towards where we needed to be headed with our crappy printed Google directions, we were about to be on our way. Tom, Eric and Mike all three pitched in and was kind enough to throw some change/bills our way for the toll roads we would be heading into. (Very generous of you guys!!! Thanks so much!) With a 12 hour drive ahead, I was leaving with a pretty good vibe and buzz of confidence with leaving on our way back home...

The entire trip home was a breeze, especially compared to the bus ride there! The car gave absolutely no hesitation and no signs of error or problems. Hitting around 80mph or more seemed to be a little jarred but it was stated that the tires would need balanced anyways with a possible alignment which will all be taken care of pretty soon. About 5 hours into the drive I began to become so tired I was unable to drive so I allowed Doug to take over. He did compliment on how nice the car was once we got there and he had seen it in person but after he drove it, he kept saying how awesome it was.. even going as far as saying that I got a hell of a deal like 5 times.

Once we finally arrived back in Indy and we had switched again, we headed to his place to drop him off. It wasn't 15 minutes of being home and would you be surprised if I said he was online looking for an SVX? I figured he was just blowing some smoke my way but he seems pretty serious in wanting to get one now. So much so that he stated he would put his title up to the bank on his Durango for a small loan to get a decent black SVX.

Anyways, I've had the car for about 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. It can haul some ass, feels really reliable and aside from the little bit of TLC here and there it still needs in regards to some cosmetic issues, it's awesome! Friends seemed rather surprised saying "It's a lot better than I expected." and family (My mom and sister particularly) stating that the car is really nice and now they understand why I went out of my way to get it... also saying I got a really good deal.

Thanks again.... Mike, Eric & Tom for making the entire experience from picking up my SVX and the work done on my car such a pleasant one! I commend you guys in the way you have dealt with me individually, putting up with my persistent PMs riddled with questions and wish you only the best with your shop in which I doubt you'll have no problem in with succeeding, as seeing how you handle your business!

So if anyone is by chance still reading this post and needs work done on their SVX living near or in Jersey, I highly recommend you take your car to these guys! I can only dream of having a shop come even close to these guys within my own state.

All the best!
Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Glad to hear you had a good experience! Those guys are something else, I'll tell ya. That's quite a bit to do to buy an SVX, but they're pretty worth it when it comes down to it, glad to hear you had a good experience and are happy with your purchase.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:31 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Glad you enjoyed the experience . They really are top notch guys.

I was shocked to see all the cars they had around back
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 06-12-2008, 07:45 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Top notch guys they are. Tom is the only person I am comfortable with to work on my car. I drove 3 hours to his house with a misfire just to he could take a look at my car. Those 3 guys are awesome.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Network Design Administrator

Dont you just love all of the little things about NJ?

I feel like I should move this to Service Shop Reviews, but will leave it here for now.

EDIT: Oh, and thank you for paragraphs!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Actually, I hate NJ from the bottom of my heart. That's why I haul as fast as possible to the shop when i'm there. It's like the 20'x30' section of non-suck in NJ.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Network Design Administrator

I hate NJ as well, hence my current, non-NJ location... 8 Years was 8 too many.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz
Quote:
Actually, I hate NJ from the bottom of my heart. That's why I haul as fast as possible to the shop when i'm there. It's like the 20'x30' section of non-suck in NJ.
South Jersey isn't so bad. Long branch is nice. Of course, the grass is always greener and all...

You might have spied mine up there, a Pearlie with silver wheels.

Tom is doing the 5-speed swap. I'm so giddy!!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Clint,

It was a pleasure doing business with you. We are all very happy that the car met and exceeded your expectations. I am glad your trip home went smoothly. If there is anything you need, or if you and your friend want to come visit, or pick up another, we will be here . If you ever have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to call.

Thank you!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:47 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Re: My trip to All We'll Drive, NJ! (Long post)

i wouldn't trust 'em.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 06-12-2008, 01:42 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggbzz View Post
South Jersey isn't so bad. Long branch is nice. Of course, the grass is always greener and all...

You might have spied mine up there, a Pearlie with silver wheels.

Tom is doing the 5-speed swap. I'm so giddy!!
My car's there getting a 5 speed swap also
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 06-14-2008, 05:33 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
That would also explain why you hit that goose
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 06-15-2008, 02:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi

The guys are world-class!!! I wouldn't have anyone else touch my '96!

Old 06-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Now down to only ONE!

Tom, Mike and Eric refreshed and upgraded my 96.
It feels like a different car now.
Great work, guys.
96 SVX Lsi #821, Bordeaux Pearl, 4.44 98 Legacy Trans, Trans Resistor Mod, Dakota Digital Trans Temp Gauge on A-Pillar Pod (awesome), B&M Trans Cooler in Driver's Wheel Well, External Spin-on Trans Filter, Synthetic Fluids in Trans and Diffs, 17x7.5 Primax 695 Rims, Alcyone Rear Panel, Svxfiles' 5000 k HIDs, Clear Headlights, "BOXER6" License Plate, Hard Wired Radar Detector, 94 Power Up Window Switch, Motor Resealed, new Coil Packs, new NGK Iridium Plugs, PVC Valve, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Gloss Black Calipers and Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, SS Brake Lines, Superb TomsSVX Cat Back Exhaust... SS Resonator, Flowmaster 80 Muffler, Magnaflow Quad SS Tips, Poly Swaybar Bushings, Endlink Mod, Rear Subframe Bushing Mod. Feels great and sounds even better. Thanks to AWD, LLC.

2003 Outback llb H6 3.0 Titanium Pearl- "BOXERR" Mostly Stock

1995 Bmw 325i Conv. Calypso Red- "RBOXER" Modest Mods

2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-tec 15' Jet Boat, 1494cc, 1454#, 155 HP= <10#/HP Stock
Old 06-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

WOAH!! a post! Lol

Great to hear back from you...glad to see you are enjoying the car
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten