How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Looks and smells great.

Re: Rear Ended!!!

Only lazy adjustors rely on the police report (unless there is no information other than the report). I generally have liability pinned down well before the report comes in; I only use them when my insureds don't get any of the other party's information. You'd be surprised how often adjustors throw out police reports; they're very easy to discount.

But like I said before, it doesn't hurt to have one so get one if you want to. It's just a complete waste of time when liability has already been accepted.
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 08-18-2008, 07:42 PM

As those of you at the Summer Sizzler meet on Saturday know, I picked my car up at the end of the day on Friday. The shop was able to do the frame straightening in house. The cost didn't run beyond what the insurance company sent (but didn't run below either), and they painted the spoiler. I was, however, not fully satisfied with their work. I was afraid to scrutinize it too closely when I picked it up, because I didn't want to be disappointed, but one thing caught my eye right away. There's an abvious gap between the bumper cover and the panels above it. I complained about that, and Steve said that he couldn't see any other way to put it back together or shim it up since it connects like one tube sliding into another. But he said if I wanted him to try something, I can bring it back. Jabba asked if I had the other check, and I said, "Yes." As I started signing it, I asked him if he had a receipt. He said, "No." Then he added, "Your check stubbs will be your receipt."

The color on the spoiler didn't look right to me. It looked too dark and not like a saturated-enough blue. It looked less purple, like it was missing the red component. I hoped that when I saw it in sunlight, it would look different, but it didn't. When I stopped for a closer look on my way home, I noticed that I could still see a vestige of the big dent where the quarter panel had buckled. They hadn't painted the edges of the trunk lid and adjacent panels, where they rubbed in the impact and afterward. The trunk lid and the adjacent panels on either side are still not in straight alignment with each other. It clicks when I open the trunk. The garnish panels below the impact point and on the door now have a few chips in the paint, where none had been before.

On Saturday, I went to the meet at O.T. & Di's, and several members looked at it. Mike told me the trick to installing the bumper so there's no gap, informed me that the lack of red metallic flake in the paint is why it doesn't look right, and pointed out other flaws in the paint job, like its texture. John found what caused the clicking when the trunk is opened: the latch that it connects to on the body is still pushed forward a little from the impact. It's actualy clicking on a plastic protector, and not on the metal of the latch or on the side of the trunk lid. Y.T. agreed with Mike about properly installing the bumper, and said that could be fixed in about 10 minutes.

Nate brought his '94 laguna blue to the meet, which had recently been declared totalled when someone hit him. It is in much worse shape than mine. He lives in a different state w/different insurance laws, and was dealing a different insurance company. His settlement was $3000 more than what Nationwide wanted to total my car at.

Today, after work, I stopped back at the shop to talk to Steve. When I explained about the bumper, he said that he did install it that way, but said he can try to find a way to reduce the gap. He did not agree with me at all about the color of the paint. He claimed that he doesn't see any red or purple in the original paint. (I even pulled out the color scan from back when they did the previous body work for me in 2006. One component is "trans. red", another is violet pearl.) But he did claim to see differences in color between the parts that are metal and those that are plastic. Steve also claimed not to see the remains of the dent, which so many members had also seen on Saturday. He said that the other side looks the same, but I still see the diference. He said that the trunk latch isn't pushed forward, that what I'm seing is the natural curve of that piece of the car. He said he'll try to see what he can do about the clicking though. He said he'll fix the rub marks around the trunk lid and the chips on the garnish. He said he'll fix anything "reasonable", but it's obvious that doesn't include repainting what he's already done. I'm supposed to drop the car off next Monday.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:42 AM

Registered SVX

Brian,

I'm not trying to start anything, but you might want to post the name of the shop here -- I know I wouldn't want them working on my car after seeing what they consider "acceptable". Unless, of course, you wish to continue your relationship with them.

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 08-29-2008, 08:35 AM

Sorry, Di, I wasn't ignoring your suggestion. I'm just not sure what's best here. If anyone in the Pittsburgh area, especially in Castle Shannon, is trying to whittle down the selection of bodyshops just PM me, and I'll let send you their name.

I picked up my car yesterday. As expected, they didn't do any more work to the left quarter panel or repaint the spoiler. They claimed to have measured both quarter panels, and determined them to have the same shape. They said they had a paint expert determine that the spoiler paint was the color it's supposed to be. They attributed my perceived difference to the paint being aplied to fiberglass as opposed to metal.

They did somewhat reduce the gap above the bumper. It is more reduced on the left side that the right, though. They touched up the paint around the trunk edges and on the caulding. They said they adjusted the trunk, but I can still see a difference between the left and right side gaps near the top. It still clicks when opened. The interior latch handle works again, though.

Steve said he adjusted the drivers side door so it would align w/the quarter panel. I actually didn't think it was the door that was out of alignment (or the trunk, for that matter), but that that quarter wasn't back to it's shape. The only reason I didn't object to his offer to make an adjustment, was because he asked me it I heard wind noise, and I did hear a little. (I just thought that was from a bad window or door seal.) I was ambivalent about that adjustment, so I didn't even include it on my to-do list for him. Now that he's done it, I hear more wind noise. I'm not sure if there actually is more, or if I'm just more aware of it, but it was annoying me.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:04 AM

Here's the best shot I have of the remanant of the buckcle dent:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg damage3.jpg (356.6 KB, 228 views)
Old 08-29-2008, 01:00 PM

I know these aren't as clear as the first picture. You mainly have to look at the distortions of the reflections.

The one on the left is another shot of the dimple left from the buckle. The one on the right shows the gap above the bumper cover Before I took it back to them.

Here's a 3rd shot of the remnant. You can also see some of the paint chips they left on the top of the garnish the first time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg damage4.jpg (376.0 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg damage5.jpg (377.6 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg damage6.jpg (388.2 KB, 221 views)
Old 08-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

That sucks really bad. I would complain to the owner and or insurance agaent about the lowsy work. Body shops are sopposed to fix thing back to factory not back to crappy.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 08-30-2008, 04:52 AM
One teal and One yellow

Yeap, you're hit by an SUV and I was hit by a compact car and your damage is much less and you get to keep your car. My case is worse.

Sorry to see the body work is not perfect.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05