Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 PM

Registered SVX
Arrow Re: Rear Ended!!!

Sorry to hear about your accident. Take it to subi-crosser aka Jerry Wilson, he just did a great job rewelding my frame on my 96 Lsi that was originally repaired by a squirrel and his family Seriously though, Jerry will do the job right and hes cheap, real cheap.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Locker Link Solution

Re: Rear Ended!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
I wouldn't worry about liability for this loss. Rear end losses are impossible to pin on the guy in front, so even if the couple does sound "shady," it shouldn't be an issue (they don't sound shady to me; what they did is extremely common and the rule for this much damage rather than the exeption).
...um, believe me there are plenty of ways. 'specially considering that no one called a police officer in to document it and assist in exchanging information.

THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO REASON not to promptly report it regardless, in fact here it is the law to do so within 5 days.
Not shady? THEY are waiting to see how much it will cost to fix THEIR CAR...
Obviously it is going to cost more than $400 to fix BOTH cars, we aren't talking "rocket surgery" <- here... they think they can pin it on him, or they were just dishuffled and confused.

No cell phone with a 08 Denali <-read expensive gas guzzler purched recently BY CHOICE, husband just happens to roll by just then in his police car

Maybe I'm paranoid? But I'm never going to let some dazed idiot screw me over.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Looks and smells great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
...um, believe me there are plenty of ways. 'specially considering that no one called a police officer in to document it and assist in exchanging information.

THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO REASON not to promptly report it regardless, in fact here it is the law to do so within 5 days.
Not shady? THEY are waiting to see how much it will cost to fix THEIR CAR...
Obviously it is going to cost more than $400 to fix BOTH cars, we aren't talking "rocket surgery" <- here... they think they can pin it on him, or they were just dishuffled and confused.

No cell phone with a 08 Denali <-read expensive gas guzzler purched recently BY CHOICE, husband just happens to roll by just then in his police car

Maybe I'm paranoid? But I'm never going to let some dazed idiot screw me over.
There are not plenty of ways. Trust me.

Believe whatever you like, but the only way to pin liability on the car in front is to claim that they backed into you, and you could do that just as easily with or without the police there to document it.

I throw out police reports all the time by simply asking, "did the police officer witness the event?" The answer is always no, and even if the cop does decide to issue a citation it almost never sticks unless the party being cited doesn't change their story.

If you go report it to the police, they'll simply take down your statement. It's not like they're going to bust out the CSI team and start dusting for prints and measuring tire skid marks and debris at the loss scene. Then again, I am a claims adjustor and I investigate liability all day for a living, so what would I know?
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 PM

It is the total settlement value that I'm most concerned about. I'm not really worried about them trying to put the blame on me, because that seems nearly impossible. But I thought that if they were warry of me, they may be able to influence the situation where I'm forced to accept the total settlement value. But that point seems moot now.

I talked to the guy from Nationwide today, and he recorded me recounting the accident and interaction with the couple. He called the lady who hit me, got her story which corroborated mine, and set up an appointment for me to get the damaged appraised this coming Tuesday. He said they'll pay me out immediately after the inspection. He didn't mention anything about totalling. That makes everything sound like it's going as I would hope. But I realize that doesn't mean they won't declare it totalled and pay me that value...and it doesn't mean that they won't determine an insufficient amount even if they don't total it.

Maybe they're so relieved that I'm not claiming injury that they're willing to not total it and pay me a few hundred more to bring it up to the price of the estimate I got.

Will I have any recourse if they try to declare it totalled?

Oh, and I asked him if I should file a police report. He said it was pointless since the couple already submitted the incident to Nationwide, the stories matched, and Nationwide is willing to pay me.

I appreciate your input, Zandar, as well as eveyone else's input/concern!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:08 PM

Here are 2 pictures of the damage. You can see the buckle in the quarter panel clearly in the first picture by looking at the reflection of the parking space stripe:

The lighting of the second shot makes it not so distinct, so I circled it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damage1.jpg (342.1 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg damage2.jpg (334.6 KB, 343 views)
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM

And here's the estimate I got from that body shop the day after the accident:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg est1.jpg (123.0 KB, 342 views)
Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident. Take it to subi-crosser aka Jerry Wilson, he just did a great job rewelding my frame on my 96 Lsi that was originally repaired by a squirrel and his family Seriously though, Jerry will do the job right and hes cheap, real cheap.
I prefer the term 'Affordable'!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

So thier is damage to both quarters or am I just to tired of seeing these RO's all day?

edit: nevermind I see their blending it because of the bumper. Your lucky they're doing this because it witll look better and not that many people blend quarters because of bumpers. Now just buff the crap out of the "old" paint and you set.Good luck
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 06-12-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: duh.....
Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It is the total settlement value that I'm most concerned about. I'm not really worried about them trying to put the blame on me, because that seems nearly impossible. But I thought that if they were warry of me, they may be able to influence the situation where I'm forced to accept the total settlement value. But that point seems moot now.

I talked to the guy from Nationwide today, and he recorded me recounting the accident and interaction with the couple. He called the lady who hit me, got her story which corroborated mine, and set up an appointment for me to get the damaged appraised this coming Tuesday. He said they'll pay me out immediately after the inspection. He didn't mention anything about totalling. That makes everything sound like it's going as I would hope. But I realize that doesn't mean they won't declare it totalled and pay me that value...and it doesn't mean that they won't determine an insufficient amount even if they don't total it.

Maybe they're so relieved that I'm not claiming injury that they're willing to not total it and pay me a few hundred more to bring it up to the price of the estimate I got.

Oh, and I asked him if I should file a police report. He said it was pointless since the couple already submitted the incident to Nationwide, the stories matched, and Nationwide is willing to pay me.

That sure LOOKs like a car worth well over $2,100 to ME!
Point out any recent repairs or mods! Blow your own horn. Tell them that you had an offer of $6,000. for it!! Lay it on thick! Rubb your lower back while talking to him and shift your weight from side to side!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Looks and smells great.

Quote:

The dispute you can do is for the ACV (actual cash value). They'll need comparable vehicle sales figures to get a value, and that's where your wiggle room lies (e.g. if all three comps they find are old beaters with 200k miles, you can argue that they aren't really comparable).

If they do end up totaling it (which they might not, now that I think about the damage total), you can only chose to retain salvage or take the full settlement. If you retain, it will be a salvage title; no way around that as Nationwide will report it to the DMV as such.

It's all what you feel is best, but I'd probably say take the settlement (total loss and retain salvage or straight damage cash-settle) and have subi-crosser or someone else who will give your SVX the care it deserves for a great price do the repairs. That is one gorgeous SVX (I was just showing my wife the pics; she agrees), and it ought to fetch a better ACV than $2100. The Laguna Blue is the only colour I like as much as the pearlie . . . maybe better (don't tell my SVX I said so!).
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
-C.S. Lewis
Old 06-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Zandar,

And where do I find figures to back up my dispute over their ACV? Can it be as simple as sales values from an Auto Trader search? Where do they get their values from? Although my car may be in beautiful condition, and not a beater, it does have 185k miles on it.

You could have seen my car for yourself before the accident! I was visiting friends out in Colorado just a couple of weeks ago (Denver metro and Middle Park). Not that I had time for a trip down to the Springs or any SVX related activities.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

should make it fine w/o being totaled...The shops labor rates are very fair, and it seems they are doing work thats out of their way to make the job right. This is the same shop that did the trunk lid right?
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Zandar,

And where do I find figures to back up my dispute over their ACV? Can it be as simple as sales values from an Auto Trader search? Where do they get their values from? Although my car may be in beautiful condition, and not a beater, it does have 185k miles on it.

You could have seen my car for yourself before the accident! I was visiting friends out in Colorado just a couple of weeks ago (Denver metro and Middle Park). Not that I had time for a trip down to the Springs or any SVX related activities.
When my car was totaled out, the value that they gave me for my silver with 148,000 miles was about $3500.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 06-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Looks and smells great.

Quote:
Zandar,

In your case, I really don't think it's going to be an issue. Though it is possible, I don't think they'll be giving it a value of $2100 or less, and if you have an estimate they can put in their claim for that amount, and are willing to sign a release of all claims for for that amount, you should be okay. As long as they're valuing your car at $3k or more, it shouldn't be a total.

If they do a total loss settlement, you don't have to take their first offer. Think of it like buying a car; offer, counteroffer. The only difference is, you have to come up with backing for your counteroffers. If they offer you $2400 with a salvage value of $800 (essentially $1600, if you keep your car), you can go out and find three SVXs for sale with comparable miles and amenities for $3500 and dispute it. If you just dispute it without having something to back it up, you probably won't get far.

You're right on track with how you find comps; disputing is as easy as finding cars for sale in your area. Look in your area Autotrader, Cars.com, craigslist, classifieds, etc. Try to find dealers or brokers, because they usually charge more . What you would be trying to prove is that you can't find a comparable car to yours for the price they're offering you (hypothetically $2400, here). In some states, they would have to find a comparable car currently listed for their settlement value or (again, state dependent) purchase one and give it to you as a settlement. The latter is, obviously, far more rare.

You also have to keep in mind that most adjustors are in a call centre and are overworked, underpaid, typical office fodder. They generally don't want to waste any time nor do any more work than they have to. If they lowball you (illegal in most states, but it happens all the time), you can keep coming back with better comps you find. Being persistent but not harassing usually pays off; if you dispute and found some other comps, more often than not the adjustor will just take your comps and redo the settlement. Not always, but it often works. Of course, if one of their for sale comps is still for sale and really comparable to yours, they might have done the SVX replacement work for you! Hopefully it won't come to having to give up your ride, though.

As for now, all you can really do is wait. It sucks, but they have to do their inspection. Did you tell them that you already have an estimate for $2100? It can either help or hurt, depending. Here's the good and the bad if they take your estimate:

1. It will be lower than their VVR (initial vehicle valuation), and they'll gladly settle with you for the repair price. No salvage title is the big plus for this.

2. They were willing to offer more money (say $3000, and they valued your vehicle at $4200 so it wouldn't be a total, hypothetically), but since you said you would be happy with $2100 they gladly pay that and save their money.

The second really isn't too bothersome, as most carriers get very good rates for their repairs (though that labour rate is great on your esti; I'm used to CA rates- $75-85/hour!).

I've probably gone on long enough. The long and the short of it: you'll probably have to just wait and see what value they come up with for your repairs and your car and then work from there. When are you scheduled to get inspected?
-C.S. Lewis
Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 PM

Zandar, I don't mind you going on at all. It's all good information/advice.

Eric, yes, this is the same shop that did my trunk.

It seems my bad luck is continuing! My car has developed a delay in up-shifting. I think it's mostly into 3rd, maybe 4th. Accelerating up hill, it especially doesn't want to shift. The settlement money may have to go into a new tansmision instead of bodywork!