Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades

Old 11-15-2007, 07:49 PM

ebay rotor find

There's a lot of junk on ebay, but every once in awhile, you get lucky. I'm in need of new rotors and have been searching the internet for options. The cheapest cross drilled and/or slotted, plated rotors with any kind of decent reputation are Raceconcepts (from YT/OT) or Raceconcepts direct. I was curious about cryogenically treated rotors, but after looking into ART I got the following email:

Hi Giedrius
Say, I have the cost of front rotors for your 1992 Subaru SVX 4WD. Fronts run $371 plus shipping to your zip-code (UPS Ground).
All of our kits includes our cyro-treated, gas-ported rotors and carbon metallic brake pads.
ART sells both fronts and rears regularly for $735. ART provides a 10% discount ($662) to customer purchasing both front and rear rotor kits.
As far as performance goes, take a look at a few notes we have reviced from customers this and last year about their experience with our brake kits. You might get a kick out of them...

Date: March 16, 2006 8:15:01 AM PST
To: support@appliedrotortechnology.com
Subject: RE: ART Quote/Info Request - performance report

Mr. Morgan,
Picked-up a set of rotors and pads for my wife's 2001, 4WD Ford Excursion, last year and had the ford dealer installed them. They reported that the parts were of very good quality. Having owned this truck for a few years prior, and pulling a 30' travel trailer, I had learned to apply the brakes early and pray. After having the new rotors installed, I found out the truck had a working anti-lock system. Never had it worked before! I am a big 250lbs guy and I would stomp and stand on the brake pedal until it rolled to a stop without any wheel skid (not fun). Now with light pressure on the pedal the truck responds by slowing quickly. If I land on the pedal with force the anti-lock does it thing, and by-standers watch as this 6000LB monster comes to a stop. Wow, what a difference! Thank you for a product that works 90% better than stock.

Chris Martin
Berwyn IL.

Date: Oct 8, 2007 9:17:01 AM
To: support@appliedrotortechnology.com
Subject: RE: ART Quote/Info Request - performance report
I purchased a set of ART rotors and pads back in 2003 for my Excursion 4 X 4. The “X” had 75,708 miles when the new ART bakes were installed. The “X” now has 211,575 miles and 52 months later the ART bakes appear to have more than 50% of remaining service life. I don’t know if this is common or not but thanks for a great product

Ken Pugh
Booneville, MS

You should also know that ART builds custom brake kits for each of our customers. When placing orders, we ask for two to three weeks before shipping if we dont' have your brakes in stock. If you are nearing a planned brake maintenance on your vehicle and are considering using ART brakes products, please contact us so we can work your order into our shop's cyro-queue.
Thanks for your interest in our products if we don't have your brakes in stock. If you should have other questions, you know where to find us....
If you would like to order one of our kits by phone, you may reach ART at: (714) 527-9400. If we miss your call, please leave a message and we will return your phone call.
Steve Morgan
Applied Rotor Technology
714 527 9400

I believe in the cryo technology (or should I say metallurgy) but $700 for a set of rotors & pads is too rich for my blood. I was about to go with Raceconcepts rotors until I ran across these on ebay.

The lister did not indicate the brand of rotor and didn't even mention that they were plated. The price was so low, I figured that I had nothing to lose. Turns out that they are authentic PowerStop rotors and I got all four for $100 (+ $20 shipping). I don't think the seller had any more - he lists a ton of Subaru parts on his ebay store and this was the only set of SVX rotors. He did have some for a WRX and Legacy, however.
The Powerstop pamphlet inside notes that they recommend Axxis Metal Master pads. I love Akebono Pro ACT Ceramics, but don't want to mess with a proven combination. I can vouch for the quality of these Powerstop rotors but would love to hear from the Axxis Faithful.

Last edited by gsodonis; 11-15-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I will put them on for you when I am down next week..
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 AM

Mini meet?

Are you coming down in the silver one?
I am setting aside time to do car work, but need to clear some space. First on the list before rotors is Gruppe N motor mounts. They've been in the trunk for a few months - I just haven't gotten around to installing them. If you're bored, you're welcome to come by to talk shop and get grese under your finger nails - A Knoxville Mini-meet.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:50 AM

There are more of these rotors available!

I just browsed ebay and found that the vendor that sold me a set of the gold Powerstop rotors has another set listed. I won the bid with buy-it-now on Monday and the rotors were on my doorstep Thursday when I got home from work. Reliable seller and the rotor look great - and they're made in the USA - no Chinese junk. I don't think there's a better deal anywhere on a set of premium, cross drilled, plated, USA made rotors. I'm pretty sure that you can't even get a set of cheapo Chinese OEM rotors for that price.

Front rotors: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...QQcmdZViewItem

Rear rotors: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by gsodonis; 11-16-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
what is that plating?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 PM

Gold Cadmium

From the Powerstop website:

Power Stop Cross Drilled Rotors

Question- Why should I use cross drilled rotors?

Answer- The primary reason is that cross drilled rotors run cooler, approximately 200-250 degrees, when used with high quality pads. This reduces the chances of warping, which has become a major problem in recent years, particularly on late model U.S. made vehicles. Additionally you will experience improved wet weather braking with shorter stopping distances. If you are experiencing pulsation on the brake pedal, your rotors are warped. It may be possible to turn them, but they will then be thinner and unable to dissipate heat as quickly as before, and will soon warp again.

Power Stop rotors are manufactured by Autospecialty, a subsidiary of TRW, and are used on many law enforcement and emergency vehicles which experience severe braking requirements, and are popular with taxi companies.

Original equipment quality rotors are used as a base stock. Each rotor requires a specific drilling pattern in order not to interfere with the cooling vanes, and this information is programmed and run on a CNC (computer numerical control ) machine. The end result is a brake rotor that is

- mill balanced to prevent vibration

-ground finish that eliminates runout and taper

-double disc ground to ensure parallelism

- non-directional finished

-gold cadmium plated for protection against corrosion ( this does not apply to Hub/Rotor combinations)
Old 11-16-2007, 05:30 PM

Registered SVX
Rotors

Brakewarehouse.com hooked me up several times. Ask for Rob, I dealt with him. He said to be wary of all those rotors on ebay, most of them are made from cheap blanks from china, thats how their able to sell them so cheap. Maybe the guy you dealt with just wants to get rid of them cheap. Id doubt if he knew he could sell a ton of them to other SVX owners, that he would sell them for $50 a set. Like the old saying, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. Let us know how they work out for you.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:20 AM

I've seen and installed some of the questionable chinese junk rotors on some friend's cars and true to form, they were cheap in both price and in quality. These rotors are made in the USA and appear to be very well made. I haven't installed them yet, but I'm confident that these are quality parts.

If you look up powerstop rotors, on ebay or , you'll find that the 'normal' price for them is around $100 - $150 for a set of two. My guess is the vendor (he sells Subaru parts) has had these on his shelf for a long time, hasn't been able to move them and is selling them practically at cost to free up some cash flow.

That's just my opinion, mind you. I'll take a pic of the boxes in which they were shipped and the enclosed info sheets and I think you'll come to see that these are the real deal and a bargain as well. I agree that in most cases, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is, but in the ebay universe, one man's junk is another man's treasure and these rotors might just be one retailer's junk for which no one wants to pay retail prices - hence the fire sale pricing on ebay.