Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-13-2001, 11:38 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Site Success -- Thus Far

Thought I'd do a little comparison with the original Yahoo club and our new clubhouse.

The Yahoo SVX board began operation on 8/20/98 and, within being two days short of its second month anniversary (10/18/98) listed 460 Posts.

As of Midnight tonight (5/13/01), we are just two days short of our second month anniversary and have amassed 4,048 posts.

We must not forget that our "Network's" success is largely due to the successful recruiting efforts of the founders of the Yahoo site and the momentum it started.

I believe, that, here on the "Network," we have been able to increase the momentum toward a unified and well organized (official or not) SVX community by offering its participants more and better options. Here's to a fantastic future for all of SVXdom, and especially this great site!

Take a moment to pat yourselves on the back for making this a tight knit (even with our occasional differences) group of enthusiasts. Also, continued kudos for our Admin guys for being responsive above and beyond the call. Vidar and Sith, you have our undying gratitude.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-14-2001, 04:57 AM
CGLathrop

Smile and dont forget

no msg 40 bugs over here!!
Old 05-14-2001, 05:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Angry

Randy,

The Yahoo SVX club site seems dead. The latest message that I can read was posted 5/11/01 in the evening. So I meandered over here. You guys have certainly done a terrific job with this site and should pat yourselves on the back. I first started reading web messages about the SVX on the KC message board. However, their site was always going down. I resisted switching to the Yahoo site since most of the posts on tke KC site were of a technical nature and the Yahoo site posts just seemed "Chatty" and frivolous. I was new to SVXdom then and needed to learn the SVX ropes. By spliting the technical and general posts into separate sections you guys have done a great service. The KC site was usually down about twice a week so I switched to the Yahoo site. But, if Yahoo can't get their house (site) in order I'll come over here and get entangled in the "NET".

Larry III
Old 05-14-2001, 07:22 AM
Headed to Texas...

Unhappy Gettin' frustrated . . .

Randy, thanks for the words of encouragement.
I must admit to becoming a little frustrated lately that the exodus to "our" site wasn't more immediate. The recent posts on Yahoo that support that sites scrolling format tend to leave me feeling exasperated
Additionally, threads continue with titles referring to the "other" club, posts that openly wish for a centralized site (Hey! It's right here! ).
I suppose it's all just human nature, a natural resistance to change . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-14-2001, 08:00 AM
lightning_8669

<<I suppose it's all just human nature, a natural resistance to change . . .>>

People tend not to move away from the familiar. But you guys can quote me on this. Nothing is everything. There are certain features of each site that are positive and not so positive. It would be easy if these "features" were the same for all members but, unfortunately, they are not. I like the Yahoo board's ability to easily see what message was replied to and, also, the "scrolling" feature. This site's organizational layout allows for posting under certain headings which is sensible and useful. However, that makes it necessary to do some navigating, a feature the Yahoo site is without. A co-worker of mine told me what he used to say to his kids when they would nag him for something. He would say "You can have anything you want. You just can't have everything you want.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:23 AM
Headed to Texas...

<<Nothing is everything.>>

Right - which is why the "this site vs. the other site" thing leaves me starin' at the wall sometimes.
I do still visit and post on Yahoo - because there are active discussions going on and I don't want to miss anything. But I just see it as another extension of the club.
Having said that, I still hold that if you are a SVX owner/enthusiast and have thoughts of keeping your SVX up and running LONG TERM, then you might want to invest a little time and energy towards the development of this site.
The Yahoo site CAN be fun, relaxed, informative, entertaining, etc. - but as parts/support from Subaru begin drying up and some of the less dedicated members start unloading their cars, Yahoo will likely dry up along with it.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-14-2001, 08:41 AM
lightning_8669

<<Right - which is why the "this site vs. the other site" thing leaves me starin' at the wall sometimes.
I do still visit and post on Yahoo - because there are active discussions going on and I don't want to miss anything. But I just see it as another extension of the club. >>

Sorry, Jerry, I didn't intend to appear to advocate one way or another. I just find myself spending time on the Yahoo board because it *seems* more convenient. Most likely because I am still learning the features here. But the problems with Yahoo last week (msg 40, etc.) will likely keep me visiting this board more and more. I think there are a lot of members in transition the same way I am. I also concur with you that there should be a central site for the SVX community and this is likely that place.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Unhappy

Lightning & Svxxx26,

The only reason that I use "this site" and "the other site " in a post is for clarity and grammar. I don't use the site names continuosly in a post as they are cumbersome to keep typing. The descriptive phrase "the other site", can refer to the Yahoo SVX site or the SVX World Network; depending upon which site I am posting to. No derogatory meaning is intended or implied. So please don't take offense.
Thanks.

Larry III
Old 05-14-2001, 08:48 AM
lightning_8669

<<No derogatory meaning is intended or implied. So please don't take offense. >>

LarryIII,

None taken. There is no competition or "us vs. them" kind of attitude intended by myself. Just discussionary stuff.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:01 AM
Headed to Texas...

No offense taken Larry - I'm just thinking out loud (I know, that can be dangerous )

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-14-2001, 09:06 AM
Headed to Texas...

<<Sorry, Jerry, I didn't intend to appear to advocate one way or another. I just find myself spending time on the Yahoo board because it *seems* more convenient. Most likely because I am still learning the features here. But the problems with Yahoo last week (msg 40, etc.) will likely keep me visiting this board more and more. I think there are a lot of members in transition the same way I am. I also concur with you that there should be a central site for the SVX community and this is likely that place.>>

No need to apologize, JP - I understand what you're saying.
I just have a tendency to get impatient with people when they don't see things EXACTLY the way I do!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-14-2001, 09:17 AM
lightning_8669

<<I just have a tendency to get impatient with people when they don't see things EXACTLY the way I do!>>

Ummm, Jerry, uh, you married? Because if you are and you can have that rule at home I have just one more question for you. How soon do you think it will be before she comes out of that coma?
Old 05-14-2001, 09:37 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
As I had so clearly pointed out, at one time, I was offended by the "other site" references on Yahoo. I was a bit touchy about the resistance to "change." I'm over that now. Yahoo was my home and I was very fond of it. When the opportunity came to build our new clubhouse, I wanted EVERYBODY to be as happy about it as I was, and in my "verve" could not understand why it wasn't happening. My SVX "life" is chronicled among the Yahoo posts, and through the message archive, I can re-visit some wonderful moments. I still have fondness for it, but, as my posts have stated before, I cannot manage attending to two "clubs", so, I figured, since I had so much energy invested in promoting this site, I would make this my permanent home. I don't visit the Yahoo site any more (thank you for waking me up eddy), lest I be tempted to become engrossed there AND here, and, you can see by the amount I post here, I could not have a life if I spent equal time on the two.

Again, a great debt of gratitude is owed the Yahoo founders for pulling us together in the first place and I still hope for an eventual unification of the SVX world -- wherever it may be. However, I must admit, I hope it's here.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI