How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-08-2002, 04:13 PM
alacrity024

Back From The Shop

Well I took my baby into the shop today for a few things..

Right-Front Inner Tie rod: $80
Four-Wheel Alignment: $70
Tranny Flush & Fill: $100

I also asked them to install a secondary tranny cooler and a transmission fluid temperature gauge. Well they told me that they couldn't figure out how to fit a cooler in (I think they were just too lazy) and they couldn't wire a temp. gauge in.. Well the car handles much better now, and I also asked them to check out a buzzing I had at 700rpms.. turns out it was just a loose heat shielf (whew) and they took care of it for me. It's good to have my baby back, but I'm noticing that with the new fluid the shifts are much smoother. I miss the old rock-hard slams in between shifts! I'm not planning on yanking that resistor, but those solid shifts were sure nice.

-Adam (crossing his fingers that nothing came loose during the flush)
Old 05-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Glad it wasn't too expensive Adam

I got both of the outer tie rod ends and all the steering rack boots replaced (just for good measure) and had the car aligned. Found one of the stock wheels I had straightened and powder coated last fall had recently sustained an inpacy which put two flat spots on the lip but didn't cause an imbalance or loss of tire pressure. Glad it was on these wheels not the 17".

Todd
Old 05-08-2002, 08:08 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Re: Back From The Shop

It's good to have my baby back, but I'm noticing that with the new fluid the shifts are much smoother. I miss the old rock-hard slams in between shifts! I'm not planning on yanking that resistor, but those solid shifts were sure nice.

-Adam (crossing his fingers that nothing came loose during the flush) [/B][/QUOTE]

Adam - Coincidently, last weekend in the Washington Post & probably other newspapers, was a weekly article by Pat Goss (Goss' Garage), comparing tranny fluid to liquid sandpaper. He says that new fluid should give you harder shifts, since old fluid is like worn out sandpaper, & makes the clutches slip while engaging. This translates into "smooth" shifts, but tough on clutch material. This is the exact opposite of your experience. Hmmm.
Any comments from those in the know? (Beav)
Also - did you refill with synthetic, get a T-Tech(?)flush, & how many miles since the last flush or drain?

TIA - Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:11 PM
alacrity024

ron-

not sure how long since last flush.. obviously too long 'cause the dipstick came up feeling awfully gritty. I don't know what they put in there.. I unfortunately opted not to ask many questions because I wanted to get the hell out of the shop and back to work. Just Dexron I guess. what is a T-Tech?

Anyway yeah, the shifts are seeming way smoother than i remember them being before i brought her in.. we'll see how things develop.. I haven't had a chance to tool on the tranny because i've been downtown all day. I should be headed home from work around 1am and nobody will be out on the roads.. I'll spend some time fooling around on the flats

-adam
Old 05-08-2002, 10:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
What does replacing the inner and outer tie rods and steering rack boots do? Obviously through use they need to replaced, but what difference do they make when changed?
Old 05-08-2002, 11:18 PM
alacrity024

I noticed after replacing the inner rod that steering was MUCH MUCH tighter. the wheels are less prone to wandering on their own, if you know what I mean..

oh wait.. you're talking about the boots.. no idea..

-a
Old 05-09-2002, 01:01 AM
One teal and One yellow

Re: Re: Back From The Shop

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
- Coincidently, last weekend in the Washington Post & probably other newspapers, was a weekly article by Pat Goss (Goss' Garage),... - Ron. [/B]
oh that's very coincident again. Pat Goss? Are they good? Because according to the receipts from my SVX's previous owner, he did a lot of maintenances there. It's like $2-3K money he spent there in btwn 1 week to 1yr before I bought it. Are they good? Are they famous? I looked over the receipts just saw that the labor was very expensive.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 05-09-2002, 01:08 AM
One teal and One yellow

same

The last time i changed my ATF in February '02, I really couldn't tell any difference in Before and After, honestly.

The previous owner told me he'd Mobil 1 fully ATF in there and I changed it to RedLine hightemp fully ATF now. Can't really tell any difference from the shifting... except one thing - when the car was on the down-hill, the first to second gear is quieter and more gentle. Is it good or bad?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 05-09-2002, 06:35 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: Re: Back From The Shop

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Adam - Coincidently, last weekend in the Washington Post & probably other newspapers, was a weekly article by Pat Goss (Goss' Garage), comparing tranny fluid to liquid sandpaper. He says that new fluid should give you harder shifts, since old fluid is like worn out sandpaper, & makes the clutches slip while engaging. This translates into "smooth" shifts, but tough on clutch material. This is the exact opposite of your experience. Hmmm.
Any comments from those in the know? (Beav)

TIA - Ron. [/B]
I suppose if the oil had deteriorated to a point of insufficient lubricity (how's that for a pocketful of 25cent words? ) the shifts would be noticeably smoother now as the clutches and bands have some new slickum to slip around on.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:46 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
What does replacing the inner and outer tie rods and steering rack boots do? Obviously through use they need to replaced, but what difference do they make when changed?
The tie rods control the side-to-side direction of the tires. Typically the toe setting (whether the tires are pigeon-toed or duck-footed) of an automobile is critical to =/- .13" or less. The tie rods control this setting and when they become loose from wear the tires can steer themselves (slightly) in any direction. The driver notices this as 'free-play' or 'lag' in the steering. Loose tie rods will also cause edge wear on both tires as a result of the toe setting being incorrect. The rack boots cover the inner tie rod ends and keep debris out of the rack and pinion steering gear.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Back From The Shop

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

I suppose if the oil had deteriorated to a point of insufficient lubricity (how's that for a pocketful of 25cent words? ) the shifts would be noticeably smoother now as the clutches and bands have some new slickum to slip around on.
I would've been impressed, Beav, then, you went and cancelled out your "big money" word by using "slickum." Both words, I'm sure you learned only to impress the ladies.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI