Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 02:28 PM

Well, my SVX is totaled :(

Hey guys,

I posted a few times regarding problems on my car..recently it had a problem requiring to have it checked by a tech at the garage..

well, looks like the tranny/differential is in very bad shape, 1 ball joint is in horrible condition and the wheel is about to pop off..

that's it for me, I have no more money so I can'T invest another 3k$ that it would cost to have it fixed..

I was almost done paying it off from my friend...damn..

if anyone in the Montreal, QC, Canada area wants it for pieces, it's available..

thanks guys for all the help.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86
Sad :(

This is the '92 Pearl right? I may have an extra transmission in a couple weeks...they're not all that spendy, especially if you do it yourself. I think Budfreak sells 'em for about $600 as well.

It sucks when the car breaks down...I drive about 70 miles to work every day, and my front diff. went on me. I've been driving a family member's car for the last couple weeks now. However, I'm going to have a nice low-mileage Legacy 4.44 tranny in my car soon ($1200 later, parts and labor included) so I'm happy.

I feel it's better to fix than buy another car as long as there aren't a bunch of other impending problems :P I figure...as long as it's not rusting apart, I'll fix anything!

Also, is it both the tranny & front diff that's bad, or just one of those? I think the front diff. is just around $250. As far as the ball joint etc, I've found it's very reasonable to get these types of things from members here when parting out other cars. It's the labor that gets ya if you don't do it yourself...

Last edited by kis86; 05-07-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM

I couldn't tell you exactly, just that it's gonna be costy..and these guys know their stuff..

I'm not a DIY type of guy, and my brother is a mechanic at this garage, so I know I'm having an honest opinion here...they told me all in all it should be around 3k$ if not more..and I don't feel like ordering parts everywhere to fix up my car...another main problem is that I have 0 money and still need to pay off bills..that car ruined me in gas and just calipers and brakes cost me almost 1k$ canadian in last october..

I'll snag a cheap reliable jap car that drinks less and that is less costy to repair when I'll have money..

thanks for the offer though.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:30 PM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86

Noooooo.... Oh well, I completely understand...it's tough when you're not prepared for things like this to happen. Probes make good cars cheap too! I wish I lived a bit closer to you.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekler
Hey guys,

I posted a few times regarding problems on my car..recently it had a problem requiring to have it checked by a tech at the garage..

well, looks like the tranny/differential is in very bad shape, 1 ball joint is in horrible condition and the wheel is about to pop off..

that's it for me, I have no more money so I can'T invest another 3k$ that it would cost to have it fixed..

I was almost done paying it off from my friend...damn..

if anyone in the Montreal, QC, Canada area wants it for pieces, it's available..

thanks guys for all the help.
How much are you asking for it?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM

if budfreak doesnt take it i will !!!

ps........as budfreak said..what kinda $$ are we talkin?

rob

rob

92 ebony 4.44's rock !!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM

I'll think about what it's worth..

one thing for sure is that I'll sell the whole thing, not pieces here and there.

It still runs ok beside the tack-tack sound problem that accelerates when the gas pedal is pressed...and it's about to lose a wheel because of the ball joint.

the front differential is screwed, I got more accurate info
Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 AM

hey guys,

I want an honest opinion here, but do you think a car in such a condition is worth 1200$ ? could I ask for more ?

I'm really selling it for a loss already, so the correct price for it would help me mucho.

is it too cheap ? too much ?

thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Depends on what condition the rest of the car is in considering the max bluebook for an SVX is like $8300 I think you can get considerably more. Go to kbb.com (kelly blue book) and get the value of your car for a private sell. Answer the kbb questions as if nothing was wrong with your car. Whatever price it gives you subtract the est. cost of repairs and that should give you a good figure!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeXy96
Depends on what condition the rest of the car is in considering the max bluebook for an SVX is like $8300 I think you can get considerably more. Go to kbb.com (kelly blue book) and get the value of your car for a private sell. Answer the kbb questions as if nothing was wrong with your car. Whatever price it gives you subtract the est. cost of repairs and that should give you a good figure!
$8,300?! Maybe for an absolute mint and low mileage 96-97. With needing a tranny and ball joint and depending on mileage and total condition I'd say it would be worth $800-$1,500 U.S..
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

You would think right? Since there hardly are any SVXs in mint condition AND with low miles. Allstate valued my SVX for $8,000...not bad in my opinion. Anyway like I said thats the max!!!! He needs to go to kelley blue book to determine the value of his car. Which now that I think about it will all depend on who he sells it to and what they plan to do with the tranny. Doing a swap is cheap, but if they want to replace oem thats $6500 just for the tranny itself! $4500 with active duty military discount!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeXy96
You would think right? Since there hardly are any SVXs in mint condition AND with low miles. Allstate valued my SVX for $8,000...not bad in my opinion. Anyway like I said thats the max!!!! He needs to go to kelley blue book to determine the value of his car. Which now that I think about it will all depend on who he sells it to and what they plan to do with the tranny. Doing a swap is cheap, but if they want to replace oem thats $6500 just for the tranny itself! $4500 with active duty military discount!
Yeah, The area has to do with it too. Cali. Vs. canada is a big thing. I could fix this car for a grand total of about $1,200 for just the ball joint and tranny(4.11's). I could fix every single thing wrong with it for what they are charging him there, Probably less.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Yeah true true Cali sucks and I bet it will be even more expensive when I move to Hawaii Good thing is I already replaced my tranny and hopefully it will hold up for the next 3 years till I move back to the states
Old 05-08-2007, 03:05 PM

so basically you guys are telling me that I'm being too generous with this price and that I should ask for more ? I was talking about 1200$ canadian on my last post.

here are pics..left side has some rust and has a slight bent since the last owner got bumped on the door by an econoline, lock is screwed also because of this. Other minor problems are the cruise control that doesn't work, and I can'T get the trunk to open

Last edited by sekler; 05-08-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

No offense, But that car is really rough. I'd say $600 U.S. in that condition IMO.

BTW, Your wheels are backwards.