Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
I just discovered this post and it is in deed quite baffling. I have had many electrical quandrys that have always been solved here. Trevor is quite amazing when it comes to all things electrical and has always given me sound guidance.

Coming to this thread as an outsider with an open mind, I am wondering about something that I did not see addressed. With all the discussion about dimming backlighting, turn signals, rheostats, etc., has anyone explored the circuit that controls the "BRIGHT" function at the end of the turn signal stalk?
I know that when the headlights are on, all instrumentation lighting (and switch function lighting) dim as they should. Pressing the bright button on the end of the turn signal stalk return them to full brightness (so that climate controls, radio, clock, etc.) can be easily seen when driving with the lights on during the daytime) How is this circuit wired and is it fed partially by some of the circuits previously mentioned? I've never seen a post about a problem with this feature, but then again I have never seen this problem. It definitely seems the turn signal stalk demands further scrutiny. The turn signal stalk and the diming function may be interacting with each other in some fashion

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-31-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:01 AM

Registered SVX
Nomake,

You are spot on when you say this is all becoming so lengthy that it is completely confusing. It is now very difficult to bring all into perspective/focus.

There is something making adding to the difficulties, in that it when “lights or light“ is used in the text, it is sometimes not clear as to whether the actual operating light is being referred to, or the associated dashboard indicator light. Could you please edit and insert the word “indicator” where this is correctly applicable.

Thanks, I will keep my brain spinning.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:18 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
I have made the edit as you have requested. Hopefully this will clear things up?

Though I was hoping the videos would do that for me...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
I just discovered this post and it is in deed quite baffling. I have had many electrical quandrys that have always been solved here. Trevor is quite amazing when it comes to all things electrical and has always given me sound guidance.

Coming to this thread as an outsider with an open mind, I am wondering about something that I did not see addressed. With all the discussion about dimming backlighting, turn signals, rheostats, etc., has anyone explored the circuit that controls the "BRIGHT" function at the end of the turn signal stalk?
I know that when the headlights are on, all instrumentation lighting (and switch function lighting) dim as they should. Pressing the bright button on the end of the turn signal stalk return them to full brightness (so that climate controls, radio, clock, etc.) can be easily seen when driving with the lights on during the daytime) How is this circuit wired and is it fed partially by some of the circuits previously mentioned? I've never seen a post about a problem with this feature, but then again I have never seen this problem. It definitely seems the turn signal stalk demands further scrutiny. The turn signal stalk and the diming function may be interacting with each other in some fashion

You have raised an interesting topic as I have never been able to understand the objects behind the system mentioned.

You have encouraged me to check the manuals which I have, in order to trace the circuitry and be doubly sure of my ground, even though I had previously given the matter consideration. The illuminated switch lamps, cigaret lighter lamp, radio illumination etc. and auto air conditioning control illuminating, are all shown as dimmer unit controlled.

The controlled lamps are connected to negative via bus wiring ending at what is identified as, “The time control unit”. This unit is shown as being controlled by a switch, as well as a rheostat, both are presumably those on the end of the stalk.
Although labelled as a timer, the unit will no doubt comprise a dimming circuit, whereby the negative supply to the lamps, is electronically switched on/off. This switching, at a high rate will not be visible, but will reduce the negative current supply and as a result dim the lamps, this being a common arrangement.

There is therefore no direct connection between the stalk controls and the circuitry involved in the major problems being covered here. However thanks, and I will keep all this in mind relative to the dimming of dash lights etc.

Aside ----

It is clear how the system functions, but its exact purpose in respect of my car alludes me. Are others any different?

On my car with the road lights on, the dash lighting and button lights can be dimmed or turned on/off, via the rotary rheostat control on the stalk, as one would expect. Pushing the end of stalk button then brings only the clock and air conditioning temperature control lights to full brilliance. A second push on the button returns all to dim again.

Strangely, simultaneously when the button is switched to brighten the affected lights, the air conditioning button lights are turned off. These are not shown on the wiring diagram, so that i am unable to trace the circuit involved.

The only objective I can arrive at is that of a facility to brighten the clock and temperature indication, both of which appear to comprise a LCD . However it would appear that your car is different and I would appreciate advice on this.

It could be a good idea to cover this latter topic as separate and in another thread, so as not to complicate this one.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 08-01-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:10 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Strangely, simultaneously when the button is switched to brighten the affected lights, the air conditioning button lights are turned off. These are not shown on the wiring diagram, so that i am unable to trace the circuit involved.

The only objective I can arrive at is that of a facility to brighten the clock and temperature indication, both of which appear to comprise a LCD . However it would appear that your car is different and I would appreciate advice on this.
This is normal, my car does it as well. That is, the green lights for the air conditioner turn off. The "Dimmer Cancel" is a function for daylight operation; so that one may have his headlights on but still have dash lighting at full illumination. I am guessing this is why they turn off the air conditioning lights (yet somehow couldn't figure out how to disable the instrument panel illumination).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
It could be a good idea to cover this latter topic as separate and in another thread, so as not to complicate this one.
Agreed.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Retired

After performing the fix outlined in this thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27339

...I started the car a few times to make sure the new ignition switch did in fact solve my problem. Then I turned the lights on and, on a whim, hit the turn signals.

There was still a very slight dim, but it was slight like the hazards used to be before. So somehow, replacing the ignition switch has improved my electrical performance. I have no clue what exactly it was, but things seem to be working normally now. They aren't painfully obvious at least.

Now if only I could find the darn rubber seal for the key cylinder...

Last edited by Nomake Wan; 08-10-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 PM

Registered SVX
Nomake,

As you have assumed, there is no logical way the ignition switch could have been causing the problems you have described. However in the process of replacing the switch, you may have moved an under dash loom plug/socket or whatever and restored a bad connection.

Give this some thought, in case the faults should return.

Fingers crossed, Trevor.