Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-22-2007, 10:24 AM

Gone, gone!

Last edited by cdvs; 03-26-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Enjoyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by momzsvx
Well okay listen, glad to have you as a member and all but if you fully read this article then this author does not have all the facts. He is clearly mistaken when he mentions the models to avoid. (copied from the article)” Several models were offered over the course of the SVX's lifetime. Initially, there was an LS and an LS-L model. The LS-L, which sold for several thousand more than the base model, came with a "Touring Package" consisting of leather, more power options, a better stereo, and the like. The only models to stay away from are the 1994 L and LS models, and the 1995 L, as these were front-wheel drive only.” I have a 95 L AWD model. Even before purchase I had to ask the great members here if it was indeed possible and it is.
Don't forget there was also an LE model in 94. BUT, I do disagree with the "staying away" from these cars. Even the FWD cars are wonderful cars. In ways faster and better than the AWD---just not in cornering. I had an LE and really enjoyed it. I put nearly 150K miles on it and it is still in the family and being enjoyed.

I don't drive my AWD cars in the snow anyway or definitely not the mud. They are undercover in inclement weather.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 03-22-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
I drive in the winter, in the mud, in the rain, in the dust, whatever. I don't have the option of garaging my car. The CEL has been on since I bought the car and I don't care. I use 89 grade occasionally. Change my oil religiously. I manually shift the transmission from stoplights in town and run out the gears. Do some relaxed cornering on the twisties. I put 10k miles on my car since I bought it and am very pleased with the car.

Bought the car for a little over $3k+, and when all is said and done, I hope to break even when/if I decide to sell the car. If a repair bill comes up that is more than what I paid? She gets run into the ground, parted out, or sold to a member. If it lasts, I'll keep putting in money for maintenance.

It was always my dream car, since I was a kid I thought it was awesome, and now I own one! But I'm realistic, it'll never be a 'collectors car', but at least the depreciation has stabilized, someone will want the car when I go to sell mine.

Example: Toyota Celica All-Trac/GT4... All Wheel Drive, 200hp, leather, lots of options, ahead of its time looks in 1990, and about 15,000 sold in the US over a four year run. A comparable car to the SVX: You WILL NOT find one for under $5,000, no matter what the mileage, no matter what condition, no matter what problems. This car is destined to be a collector's car, the SVX is not - why?
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze
It was always my dream car, since I was a kid I thought it was awesome, and now I own one! But I'm realistic, it'll never be a 'collectors car', but at least the depreciation has stabilized, someone will want the car when I go to sell mine.
There are other opinions that think you are wrong and I agree with them. But, then I agree that some like your will probably never be collector cars. Many are used, abused and modified beyond recognition or collectabililty.

The 93s and 97s will probably be the most collectable and the 92s the least.

You might check Motor Trend--Classic and see if they agree with you. They pick the SVX as a future collectable in their Premier First Issue.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Gone, gone!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:06 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

I don't abuse my car, but I do drive it. I'm sick of these garage queens and showcars (this is just one man's opinion; much respect to those who keep their cars low-mileage and mint), sick of the 'barret-jackson' car as an investment philosophy. A car is three things to me: transportation, enjoyment, and a little nostalgia. When the latter comes before the others, your car is just a pretty painting behind glass.

My SVX is not a 'collectable', its not beanie baby or a rembrandt, its a hunk of metal, glass, plastic, and a little escaine. Live for the moment. That is all ye need to know.
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 03-23-2007, 05:11 AM

This reminds me of the debate over vintage military aircraft: Some say the few remaining examples of many types should be preserved, while others with the means to keep 'em flying maintain that they're worthless hanging in a museum. A B-17 flew a tour through Atlanta recently, offering rides to all comers with a few hundres bucks to spare. How better to experience this plane, in a static display, or from the air? Who's to say?

I'm putting miles on my cars, yes, but I'm also maintaining them and expect to wring-out as much utility out of my "investment" as possible, and I guarantee that both are in much better overall condition now than when I came to own them. So far I've been delighted in every respect, but there will come a time, as repairs become more frequent and parts become prohibitively scarce and/or expensive, I'll look for another ride. If they're worth anything to anybody but the scrap yard by then, well, that will be a happy circumstance. I drove a very pedestrian '68 Mustang (no "muscle" car) for 16 years and sold it, not running but otherwise in fine, restorable shape, for $400 less than I paid. Pretty good deal.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 03-23-2007 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Well put.

Someday I'm going to have to get rid of this car. If 40 years after that I see the very last pearlie in existence on barret jackson sell for $160k, will I kick myself? or smile, and know that at one time, I used to have one, and enjoyed the hell out of it.
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 03-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Cars I bought for an equivalent price of a current SVX include a 1958 Jaguar XK150 FHC, 1963 XKE, 1971 Porsche 914-6. All make me break out in sweats when I see the current value but, dang, what where would I have done with them all these years. One of them was a down payment on my first house, but none did I get back what I put into them. Enjoy the here and now. Tell your grandchildren some day that you had one of those. In the meantime, drive and enjoy! That's what it's all about.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)

Last edited by bwb3; 03-23-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
It's really about what you do rather than what you have. My wife's cousins' husband is a real estate developer in LA, and he has much more money than he needs. Was looking at his car collection in the garage of his house in Holmby Hills, Bentley GT, Lamborghini Murcialago, Ferrari 512 TR. I asked him what he does with them. He said he drives the Bentley daily to the office, the others he takes out for a drive around the neighborhood every couple of weeks. But, he doesn't work on them, he doesn't race them, doesn't even drive them hard, probably doesn't even wash them himself. I have much much more fun with my little SVX, in which I have much less than 1/10th of what he has invested in any one of his cars.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold

Last edited by shotgunslade; 03-24-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:39 AM

transportation, enjoyment, and a little nostalgia.

as stated by AlcyoneDaze "A car is three things to me: transportation, enjoyment, and a little nostalgia." just about sums it up for me.

Mazda made a similar car to svx around the 90's - a Mazda or Eunos Cosmo, only 9000 or 10000 were ever made and were only sold for Japan - so are they rare - yes - are they worth more - no. But when you see the dash of one they took a different approach and looks really spaced out - but no more desirable apart from the fact that it is unique/different.

I'm sure I'll not make much on my svx, no matter how much I baby it, but I'll hand it over to my daughter and I can tell you in 40 yrs time it will still turn heads - put a value on that - priceless
Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

People who love their cars don't plan on selling them for a profit. That is all ye need to know.
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 03-26-2007, 04:12 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvs
Who is that 'we' and why are you picking on me?

Wait, nevermind that. Please add me to your ignore list, as I'm doing for you.
Who comes to a SVX forum, bashes the SVX and says "why are you picking on me?" All I can picture is my 8 year old standing here crying & saying "Mommy, Dillon is picking on me!" with tears and snot running all down her face!

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Gone, gone!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:55 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvs
Gone, gone!
Oh Oh!!! Now I am never going to be able to sleep tonight! C'mon dude what did you really expect? Im not hating on you either, (im prolly the most open minded person ever!) I kinda think you might be a little like me, maybe opening that pie hole before ya think about whats going to happen isnt always a good thing. Im just saying, this aint your first picnic. Dont act like you werent looking for a reaction! YOU GOT IT, BE HAPPY.

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black