Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Ranmatchi

Notes on Japanese Domestic motoring

Something I posted a few months ago on a local racing BBS:

After having returned from my most recent trip to Japan, I wanted to share some notes on their domestic motoring market for you JDM people. Here are some tidbits some of you may or maynot know:

1.) While learning to drive, getting your license, gas, maintenance, and other items are more expensive, cars themselves are actually cheaper on the whole. True, new cars are as much as they can be here, but it is common to find decent condition, early 90's cars for a few hundred dollars. While Subaru SVX's can be found for $2500 to $15000, you can find several heisei 2 (1990) Nissan Silvia K's or heisei 3 (1991) Civic Ferio's in the Tokyo/Yokohama area for anywhere from $100 to $500. There are even some places that have older cars for $10! So why is this the case? Several reasons; the fact that you need to pay so much for everything else (parking space, license, etc...) make cars a luxury, some of these vehicles may have high kilometers by comparison to others(which is MUCH lower than American vehicles by far), but the main reason is 'shakken' (see #2). To put in perspective, these same condition vehicles would easily go for a couple thousand dollars here.

2.) Every year, cars over 3 years old are subject to a tax called 'shakken'. Shakken is a government inspection that not only monitors things like emissions (which are much more lax than those here in the US), but everything on the car -- tire wear, engine mechanics, brake functionality, body condition, even light output from the headlamps. This tax is what makes older cars seem more and more impractical, as it will inevitably cost almost as much to keep older cars on the road. So why do the japanese do this? Well, one is to ensure that all cars legally on the road meet a certain level of safety. Another is to fuel their domestic automobile market. But one big reason is to provide Japan with a 'bargaining chip', so to speak. See, when people trade in their used cars, a percentage stays within the country to be sold domestically. Most, however, are shipped overseas to countries like Russia, which in turn provide Japan with the raw materials (timber, etc..) they don't have space to produce. Much like people switching their car's back to stock exhaust for emissions in California, people who mod their car have to ocasionally change their setup to pass shakken. An example is that Autobacs, a major auto parts store in Japan, sells HID kits in two varieties: one to pass your shakken exam with, and one you won't. :-)

3.) Drivers with less experience have 'wakaba maaku' (young leafs sticker) on the front and backs of their cars to let drivers know that they are not the most skilled in certain situations. It's a very JDM thing -- the only place I know that uses this symbol. This sticker/magnet/placard is green and yellow and shaped in a diamond-like design. You can see a picture of one here:
http://www.tokujo.ac.jp/Tanaka/WWW97...o/wakaba11.jpg
On the other hand, drivers over the age of 75 are required to place an oval-shaped 'momogi maaku' (autumn leaf sticker) on their vehicles as well.

4.) The japanese version of the 'Auto Trader' is called 'Car Sensor', or 'Goo' (the two biggest ones), and each are about an incha nd a half thick with full color, glossy pages with an index listing every car in the book, with vitals (price, options, etc...). You then turn to the page of the car that struck your fancy and get a nice picture and a description of it.

5.) To get a number plate for the Tokyo area (Yokohama included as well, I think), you must show proof of a parking space. These often are mechanical garages which your car is stored like a piece of clothing at a dry cleaner -- when you want your car, the attendent shuffles the cars and gets yours out. (I believe this is the same in parts of new york, too).

6.) While they may not have much of a ricer following here in the states, it is just as common to see wagons and minivans modded out with rims, exhaust, and bodykits. Currently, it seems there are as many modded Honda Oddessy's and Toyota Estima (what was the Previa here) as there are Silvias and Civics.

I'm sure I have a few other bits I need to remember, and remember some of what I said is more opinion than fact....but thought some of you would find it interesting if you've never experienced true Japanese domestic motoring habits.

--Adam
Old 04-15-2002, 01:49 PM
Green1995SVX

I like that young leafs sticker!! I will be producing one of those the next time i'm in at work. How big are they, adam?

-Mike
Old 04-15-2002, 02:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Very interesting info - thanks!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-15-2002, 02:44 PM
Ranmatchi

Wakaba mark size

The actual mark is about 13mm by 9 or 10mm.....that's for the regulation size one. I purchased a smaller (4mm x 3mm) non-regulation one from Autobacs to put in my back window.

Hope this helps,
Adam
Old 04-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Green1995SVX

Thanks adam!

-Mike
Old 04-15-2002, 03:30 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Adam,
Many thanks for the information. Very good reading (both parts I and II). Makes me that much happier to live in a rural area with lots of open road.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI