Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Eureka (and no I haven't bought a vacuum cleaner)

First attempt was to determine proper earth point (aka ground) via a length of wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the stop light socket. No joy. Next phase was to prop the brake pedal with a length of 2x4 and check various connections at the fuse box under the dash and near/on the aftermarket alarm. Problem child was the four wire factory plug at the bottom of the block. Wiggled that and got full function of all systems and elimination of the ABS warning light . Yeah, I'm a little pleased. However, Mrs. wawazat?? has now determined that a new car for her is in order. Joy (aka no car payments) is such a fleeting thing

Now back to the car to fully clean the connection and re-assemble the console, shifter assembly, passenger seat, battery hold down, throttle body cover (checking the ground), etc, etc, etc.

Thank you for your assistance everyone

Todd
Old 10-18-2006, 07:43 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
A fine dinner with a good Merlot has lightened my mood though I doubt elevated my trouble-shooting skills .

David- I did remove each of the larger fuses and checked them while removed from their respective sockets. No joy

Back to the task at hand. My father, a very handy and intelligent man, suggested a quick check for good grounds which I will apply shortly. Two electrical things I did not mention but which may lie at the root of the problem are electrical modifications performed by both the previous owner (aftermarket alarm system) and me (aftermarket seat heaters). My father again suggested a crude though quick and possibly efective check for loose connections by propping the brake pedal down and shaking the harness connecting the aftermarket alarm system to determine if a loose connection is at this system (crimped butt splices aplenty-Ron, remember this is a family site )

Back to it for me gents!

Todd

Trevor-Ron's comments are purely in jest and taken by me as such. He most graciously evaluated the car (along with his henchman and car spotter, John Hoffman-svxcess) and then chauffered me from the Baltimore airport to his home where he put me up for the night prior to the purchase of this car and 10 hour drive back to Michigan where I live. He is a dear friend and a wonderful, helpful person (OK, maybe too much Merlot coming out here )
Old bugger Ron and I am usually in jest and not a problem. I hope he read my comments.

Messed up wiring by others is a very, very probable cause and will show up if you follow through the circuits as I have suggested. Check stuff which could have been damaged as a first off. Stay with logic and don't go off on a tangent as is so easy to do. Keep notes confirming each test. It is likely to forget what has, and what has not been done later when making evaluations. Particularly when you are with the culprit.

Have been there and am doing my very best to prevent your escalating frustration and continuation of your sanity.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
Thank you Bill (Mr. etc.) and Ron for your wit and wisdom

Bill you cannot have either the SSR's or my gold STI BBS with my autoX tires.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Todd

Gimmie!!!

on a more serious note....I was looking at the electrical schematics and there is actually a "Shift Lock Control Unit" buried somewhere in the car. Its 12 pin connector ties into Fuse #1 and #2, a Position Switch, the Shift Lock Solenoid, the Key Lock Solenoid, the Seat Belt Control Unit, Stop light switch, and Fuse/Relay Box Pin E1. Might want to see if you can find this control unit
-Bill (aka "Mr. ETC.)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker