Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Can you pull the E-brake while driving?

Just wondering if locking up the rear wheels would mess up something in the differential..
Old 07-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

As long as you don't lock up the rear wheels you'll be fine. Curious though, why would you want to do this?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Sometimes I drive with the parking brake on because I forget to release it. It drives normally but with some slight resistance. That's the give-away that it's on.

No problems as of yet.

---

On locking up the wheels, I have done that as well.I once power slided around a corner so I didn't have to drive a mile to the next U turn and I was late for someone.

THEN AGAIN MY REAR DIFF WAS ALREADY BAD SOOOOOOOO..... who knows really.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:12 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
"I rent a lot of cars, 'cause I go on the road, and when I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with them, right. So a lot of times I'll drive for like ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake. It's really not an emergency brake, it's an emergency 'make the car smell funny' lever."

...seriously though, don't try it. I know a kid who decided to pull the E-brake in his Eclipse GSX at 60 miles an hour. He lost control, spun out, hit a tree, and was in a coma for close to 6 months.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
...seriously though, don't try it. I know a kid who decided to pull the E-brake in his Eclipse GSX at 60 miles an hour. He lost control, spun out, hit a tree, and was in a coma for close to 6 months.
I agree.

Elaborating on my post, the corner was riddled with gravel, and I wasn't going very fast. 20-25mph tops.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Quote:
"I rent a lot of cars, 'cause I go on the road, and when I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with them, right. So a lot of times I'll drive for like ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake. It's really not an emergency brake, it's an emergency 'make the car smell funny' lever."
Mitch Hedburg FTW
Seriously,Dont pull the E-brake while driving.From what I understand it doesnt do much good for the center diff.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-04-2006, 10:07 PM

one good reason for pulling it slightly, you are speeding, a cop enters the highway behind you and you dont want to light up the rears, pull up someone on the ebreak to slow down.

Not that I would ever do that or anything.

Greg
Old 07-04-2006, 10:20 PM

if the rear wheels lock, it may upset the center diff, but since the car is assumed to be coming to a stop, its not a big deal. If you apply power and the e brake then your asking for trouble.
The E brake on subarus is an honest E brake. The brake has its own shoes, hardware, and cables. Other cars that use the service brake hardware are known as parking brakes. Proper way to use the e brake to top the car is to hold the release handle button, it gives you much better control. Also alot more fun in snow and gravel.
Just a little trivia.

nipper
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
E-Brake + movement + AWD = asking for trouble.

The tranny does NOT like it when the wheels in the front are moving faster than the ones in the rear due to the e-brake. You're asking to explode your center differential.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The TCU uses many inputs to determine AWD clutch application among which is throttle position. I never really tested my car when it still had the 4EAT.

Anyone explain why the e-brake doesn't lock up all 4 wheels using a 5MT?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:42 PM

the 5 speed still has a center diff and a viscous coupling, basically the same thing as a the auto (in theory) minus the puter. The center allows differnce in axle speed between front and rear axles. I have never had an E barke in a awd subaru that was capable of locking the axle they were mounted on, but then again i never tried it either. I had to do it once on a gl with the e brake on the front wheels. Very LONG time to slow the car down, was easier to downshift and dump the D/r into low (drivetrain vs telephone pole, ill go for drivetrain sacrifice every time)
If the brake is being used as an emergency device, in the seconds it takes to stop the car, there won't be any damage. Now power the car with it on all sorts of fun and expensive things can happen.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I say it's a great BIG NO-NO. DO NOT LOCK UP YOUR WHEELS WITH THE E BRAKE WHILE MOVING! You'll probally take the clutches and turn them into grease after 2 or 3 times of that. I did it ONE time in the snow and my AWD didn't work the same since. I'll never do that to this tranny though now that I know better(of course I should have before).
Old 07-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I usually "test" the e-brake in the SVX about once a month on dry road. The road has to be dry to do this so that the rear wheels do not lock up.

Why do I "test" the e-brake? I might have to use it someday to stop the SVX and I want to know how good it is. I also don't want a bunch of rust sitting inside the drum wheer the shoes make contact.

The SVX has a great e-brake brake! The SVX will actually slow down the SVX quicker than other cars I have tried this on. I do this "test" on all my cars once in a while.

We used to have a 91 Legacy that was driven alot with the e-brake on, oh maybe about 30 or 60 thousand miles. The brake shoes actually worn down in that car and needed to be replaced. When I bought the new shoes from Liberty Subaru, Oradel NJ, Russ the parts manager tells me, "I have never sold that part since I have been working here." The shoes will last forever if the brake does not get used.

Take care too,
John
Old 07-05-2006, 06:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Mitch Hedburg FTW
Seriously,Dont pull the E-brake while driving.From what I understand it doesnt do much good for the center diff.
Yeah, it'd be a shame if you hurt that center diff. It'd overheat and damage the flux capacitor, too.

I think you are probably right about the e-brake, though. I don't think it would do any immediate harm to the transfer clutch, but prolonged abuse probably would.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-05-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper
The E brake on subarus is an honest E brake. The brake has its own shoes, hardware, and cables.
Older Subys didn't have this arrangement. On the '86 GL the parking brake set the front wheels. I recall one mechanic who didn't believe this until demonstrated. Don't know when they changed over to the separate drum, but that's what my '90 Legacys had.

And what y'all are calling an "emergency" brake should actually be considered a PARKING brake. If you feel it needs testing, stop the car on a moderate incline, set the brake, put the car into neutral and see if it'll hold.

Deliberately pulling the brake while driving is just asking for trouble.

dcb