IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2001, 10:44 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
Removing the throttle body on the SVX took all of maybe 4 minutes, and mad access to the torque converter bolt much easier. The Legacy's I've worked on, the Throttle Body really isn't in the way like it is on the SVX. Worked for me anyway.
You don't strike me as someone who doesn't know what they are talking about Huck. How many Subaru's have you worked on? Now you know that has to be a loaded question, you don't know me....so, (while donning flame suit), please tell me why it was so much easier. Anybody want to step in here and tell Huck who I am?

Is it getting warm in here?
Old 05-07-2001, 01:06 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I’m NOT a mechanic, Which I gather you are, I’m in structural design, cars have always been a hobby for me. I came from a poor family, so when something broke I’d have to fix it, Lots of trial and error, or you could say “learning the hard way” I’ve got a good understanding of the way things work as I do some mechanical design. My input on this forum is only to help others that might be in the same boat as me,(no lift, minimal tools, no special equipment, lots of scrapped knuckles).
I was using a boxed ended wrench to remove the torque conv. Bolts, and upon removing the throttle body I could get about a 1/3 turn opposed to the 1/8 turn I was getting before I removed it.
If you feel my input isn’t useful to anyone, I shall refrain from posting any mechanically related threads in the future.
Wasn’t trying to step on anybody’s toe’s.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-07-2001, 05:09 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
Wasn’t trying to step on anybody’s toe’s.
And you didn't. And I certainly wouldn't want you to not post in the future. You're making an effort to become part of a great family here and I respect and admire that. However, all the guys here know me, and I'm sure they'll tell ya not to tread without some facts or data in hand. And if something doesn't need to be done when doing a repair, then I'll sure let you or anyone else know it.

I'm sure you're a great guy Huck, and if that worked for you, that's fine, but you *don't* have to pull the throttle body off to get to the tc bolts.

Heck, I'm a nice guy, right fellas? Fellas....HELLLOOO....helloooo...now where'd them dang guys get to????
Old 05-07-2001, 06:06 PM

Thanks

Yeah, I just wanted to be helpful, With it up on Jackstands, which really weren't tall enough, couldn't even use a creeper, then standing on a milk crate to work the top end, anything hat makes it easier to access helps me. hope I can be helpful as I have changed out one SVX Tranny, and one Legacy Tranny, Pulled and replaced heads on a Legacy, and a 1800 GL, Timing belts on all the above, and assorted other simple tasks, before My Subaru addiction started, it was mostly Pontiac Firebirds and GTO's and no matter how many Pontiac V-8's I rebuilt, I ALWAYS cut the rope main seal to short!
And when this tranny goes in my SVX I will be installing a 5-Speed
if it kills me!
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 05-07-2001, 08:24 PM
The Road Less Traveled

5 Speed

Huck369,

In the interest of speeding up the development process of a 5 speed for the SVX, can any one of us give you a hand in grenading your tranny to kickstart your 5 speed plan?

VK
Old 05-07-2001, 10:58 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
eddycat/huck

Eddy,
In case you didn't notice, Huck is a fellow Kentuckian. Don't go messin' with my homie.

Huck, you'll get used to eddy as time goes on. He don't mean no harm. He's really a good egg (well, kinda). Not to mention that he helps support us down here, with his consumption of tobacco and distilled corn products.

By the way, glad to see ya here. It's a little more active here than back at the old "Kentucky SVXer's Club" eh?

And, don't stop posting, your input is appreciated, as is everyones. (well, maybe except peppe's and the kid with all the brochures )
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-08-2001, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Thumbs up Victory is mine!

Well after about 12-14 hours of grunting, swearing, and laying on the ground, I now have an SVX tranny sitting on the floor ready to get rebuilt.

I was going to photo the process, but after awhile I had to improvise a few things which, well, wouldn't be Eddy approved I'll keep my stupid secrets to myself :P

It is 1 am now... time for sleep. Will post the details later.

Hey Huck, I can see where, without the right kind of socket driver you might need to remove the throttle bodies for easier access. I used a hinged head ratchet which barely worked. Eddy's plan of a 1/4 breaker bar would have been best if I had one. Doing the Auto tranny on this car is bad enough, I wouldn't even want to imagine a 5 speed conversion, esp. a AWD one.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 05-08-2001, 05:24 AM

Re: 5 Speed

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Huck369,

In the interest of speeding up the development process of a 5 speed for the SVX, can any one of us give you a hand in grenading your tranny to kickstart your 5 speed plan?

VK
I've had this car about 7 months, and am only on the 5th tank of gas, took me about 5 months to secure a (relatively) cheap Tranny(was out when I bought it), once it was in I had to replace,not one, but both rear bearings! It still needs Struts, brake rotors, among many smaller items, all this said I hope this tranny lasts at least a couple years!(maybe all the scrapped knuckles will be healed by then) But when it goes I'll keep everyone informed on the swap!
just another redneck, backyard mechanic,
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 06-06-2001, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Thumbs up Tranny Returns!

Woohoo! my tranny has finally arrived back from Level 10. Total bill $4062 for rebuild, upgrade to torque converter (3200 stall speed instead of 2700) and 2 way shipping.

Will post some pics in my locker soon. They cleaned up the case and it looks like they gave it a light coat of silver paint.

Now I just need those exhaust gaskets, ball joints, replacement bolts and manifold studs and I'll be all ready to install and be FINALLY back on the road again.

Damn, I think I've forgotten what a good car feels like after driving a truck for the last month or so.

The statement below is very true vvvvv

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 06-08-2001, 08:25 AM
Lowered SVX

been following the saga......

and you have really got some courage to even be attempting what you are doing. good luck, i hope everything works out beautifully.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"