Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I'm soo out of the SVX loop... What are you up to wawazat?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-16-2006, 12:38 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by intellibomb
mychailo,

do you still offer the whole strut setup still?

how much all put together, ready to install?
Yes. Price depends on exactly what you want. Just a built up strut or a complete strut with stock or aftermarket springs? Send me a pm if you are interested.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
I'm soo out of the SVX loop... What are you up to wawazat?
Super secret, NASA SVC R&D project
-Bill (co-KONIconspirator....)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Well, no joy in Mudville for me the other night

I'm looking for a solution that allows one to use both standard and coli-over springs. The coil-over springs have a much smaller inner diameter which is making this difficult. Tomorrow I break out the big guns (take it to my dad for review and noodling ) and see where it leads. He has a fantastic problem solving mind and much experience in a vareity of esoteric fittings so I am hopeful something may arise.

All that said, I believe I have a very cheap method for DA inserts with standard (ie stock, Mychailo, or K&B) springs using a selection of black iron pipe fittings. I'm slightly concerned about strength, but I believe that the only forces on the fitting components are those of trapping the insert in to the housing. As the insert is typically in compression to at least some degree and held in place, I would expect that the only serious force to the fitting piece would be if the car got airborne and the entire suspension, wheel, and tire weight were applied to the weld when the suspension reached full droop.

Todd
Old 06-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
That's when you do like the Brits and Swedes - employ nylon straps to keep things from flying apart. Run a loop around some part of the lower arm and secure the upper ends to the body.

Where's Mr. Goldberg when you really need him?
Old 06-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
Well, no joy in Mudville for me the other night

I'm looking for a solution that allows one to use both standard and coli-over springs. The coil-over springs have a much smaller inner diameter which is making this difficult. Tomorrow I break out the big guns (take it to my dad for review and noodling ) and see where it leads. He has a fantastic problem solving mind and much experience in a vareity of esoteric fittings so I am hopeful something may arise.

All that said, I believe I have a very cheap method for DA inserts with standard (ie stock, Mychailo, or K&B) springs using a selection of black iron pipe fittings. I'm slightly concerned about strength, but I believe that the only forces on the fitting components are those of trapping the insert in to the housing. As the insert is typically in compression to at least some degree and held in place, I would expect that the only serious force to the fitting piece would be if the car got airborne and the entire suspension, wheel, and tire weight were applied to the weld when the suspension reached full droop.

Todd
Todd,
Just in time for Father's Day Yeah, I was talking with Tom the Younger and he brought up the same issue with the coil-overs What if we went with a piece of tubing with internal threads and screwed the top inside the pipe? This way, we'd keep the OD constant. Probably just have to use one of those two peg spanners to tighten down the cap, as the rod coming out of the insert will be coming through the center of the cap.
As far as going airborne and seeing if things hang together, just leave that to me
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 06-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Bill, that really isn't an option. Remeber that the inserts are going to be snug inside of the housing so threading them inside wouldn't really work. Are the dual adjustables the same height as the old singles? If they are, you can just use the outside... but if you want to use coilovers you are going to need to put the collar on and then weld the threaded collar above the coilover collar. Then you can insert the strut insert and use a cap to secure the top of the insert. The srping ID is going to be tight but we can definately make it work.

Tom
Old 06-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Maniac modifier

Hopefully this will explain what I mean, this a pic of my old coilovers, in specific, the front

Tom
Old 06-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Bill, that really isn't an option. Remeber that the inserts are going to be snug inside of the housing so threading them inside wouldn't really work. Are the dual adjustables the same height as the old singles? If they are, you can just use the outside... but if you want to use coilovers you are going to need to put the collar on and then weld the threaded collar above the coilover collar. Then you can insert the strut insert and use a cap to secure the top of the insert. The srping ID is going to be tight but we can definately make it work.

Tom
Tom,
The internally threaded piece would be welded on to the stock housing and the internal threads will be above the insert. We could make the new piece slightly larger in diameter such that the ID of the threaded section is the same diameter as the ID of the stock housing - thus allowing the insert to drop in and the "cap" to thread down and lock the insert in.
Mychailo just clued me in that Dave Clark out in Washington state does the internal thread mod on all the Subi inserts he does.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 07-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Maniac modifier

Hey, are the dual adjustables available?? If so, I may just get them soon and fiddle around with different ideas and see if I can come up with a way to secure them into the housings with the coilovers.

Tom
Old 08-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Any updates on this? Looks like fun..and track season is approaching, so I need some new suspension!

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 08-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Making progress guys. I've received the nuts that Koni uses to trap the D/A inserts into the housings. I've found a low cost method of getting a threaded insert in to the housing, but the lead time is 4 weeks and then they will require some machining of their OD to fit. I'll get to a friends machine shop Monday for review of other methods to get the internal threads made that don't require the purchase of a $250 tap and may be quicker than waiting 4 weeks. Either way, this CAN and WILL be done

Todd
Old 08-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
Making progress guys. I've received the nuts that Koni uses to trap the D/A inserts into the housings. I've found a low cost method of getting a threaded insert in to the housing, but the lead time is 4 weeks and then they will require some machining of their OD to fit. I'll get to a friends machine shop Monday for review of other methods to get the internal threads made that don't require the purchase of a $250 tap and may be quicker than waiting 4 weeks. Either way, this CAN and WILL be done

Todd
Amen, Brother Todd!!
-Bill (Fellow Brother in the Brotherhood of SVX Suspension Mods )

My Locker
Old 08-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

When the time comes, sign me up.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 08-29-2006, 01:34 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Does anyone have the part #s for the strut inserts?
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..