Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-13-2006, 10:01 PM

Weird noise

This just started happening. Everytime I push the gas pedal while in park, I get this weird noise. Heres a soundclip of it, exhaustnoise.wav - 0.68MB
Anybody know what that is? It dosent really happen when I'm driving. Just while in park or neutral.

1995 SVX L(mods: slotted/bored raceconcepts rotors,full stebro cat-back exhaust,green cone air-filter,rust )
116,000 mi
My Locker

Last edited by fait_svx; 06-13-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 PM

Also, just out of curiosity, has anybody replaced the exhaust resonator with say.....a small magnaflow muffler? I have the stebro exhaust, but I sold the center resonator that came with the center section. And, I'm wondering if putting a small magnaflow muffler in place of where the resonator was would deepen the exhaust note further?

1995 SVX L(mods: slotted/bored raceconcepts rotors,full stebro cat-back exhaust,green cone air-filter,rust )
116,000 mi
My Locker
Old 06-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Where on the car were you recording that from? Do you mean the kind of farting sound for lack of a better description? If you do, It sounds like a leak where the headers meet the pipes to the first set of converters. Mine sounded exactly like that when it was leaking. I still have a leak at my Magnaflow converter that kinda sounds like that too. Why it wouldn't do it in motion though I have no idea. It could also be in your transmission. The whole reason I went to 4.44's was because my torque converter started making noises in Park and Neutral. It was kinda of a whirring or humming sound though that you could hear it wind down when you shut the car off. Just some ideas from what I can figure out from the description and sound clip. Good luck man.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:12 AM

Yeah, the noise that sounds sort of like a winding sound, when the rpms come back down. I pointed the mic underneath the car, while sitting in the drivers seat with the door open. Plus, I just got back from a trip to taco bell and noticed that it does it while I'm driving too. Please GOD let it be the exhaust and not the tranny, I've been so nice to the tranny since the rebuild lol I hope its not pissed at me or somethin lol Thanks for the advice budfreak. P.S. I have the stebro euro resonator, and when I had it installed, I didnt have any new gaskets or anything like that. I also saw the mechanic using silicon. Do you think the silicon gave out and now theres a leak because of that?

116,000 mi
My Locker

Last edited by fait_svx; 06-14-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by fait_svx
Yeah, the noise that sounds sort of like a winding sound, when the rpms come back down. I pointed the mic underneath the car, while sitting in the drivers seat with the door open. Plus, I just got back from a trip to taco bell and noticed that it does it while I'm driving too. Please GOD let it be the exhaust and not the tranny, I've been so nice to the tranny since the rebuild lol I hope its not pissed at me or somethin lol Thanks for the advice budfreak. P.S. I have the stebro euro resonator, and when I had it installed, I didnt have any new gaskets or anything like that. I also saw the mechanic using silicon. Do you think the silicon gave out and now theres a leak because of that?
Probally. I'd have it all welded up nice and that will take care of it. If it's the header collector gasket that's a fairly easy fix too(provided you can get the bolts out) I've never heard of someone using silicone on the exhaust. Start the car up cold and immediately run your hands along the unwelded joints in your exhaust and see if you find a leak or just get underneath the car while it's running(make sure it's on some sturdy stands and think safety) and listen while someone revs the car. When my torque converter started making noise I could tell immediately where it was coming from inside the car. Does it make the winding down sound when you shut off the car or does the noise immediately go away??? If you don't know then listen very carefully the next time you shut the car down from a drive when it's warmed up and see if it does. Let me know.