Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Thanks. All clear now
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 04-07-2006, 03:52 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
Thanks. All clear now
oh yeah. I forgot about the plastic sleeve that holds everything together. Its been 3 years since I did the bearings. :-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:42 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How the EFF do you remove the short bolt for the lateral link? I'm talking about the 17mm bolt that is at the very bottom of the rear knuckle. I've tried everything to get it to break loose..no luck. I'm at my wit's end and need help from y'all

Everything else broke loose...axle nut, transverse link bolt, even the ABS sensor came out no problem. But this one last bolt won't BUDGE! I've been spraying the heck out of it with PB blaster to no avail. Right now I have a tinfoil form around the bushing/bolt filled with PB so it can soak overnight. I'm sure i was putting a good 300ft lb on there with no effect other than visible deflection in the suspension link it's attached to (not deflection in the bushing...deflection in the link!). WHoever did my last wheel bearing deserves to be shot for torquing the hell out of the bolt.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 04-08-2006, 11:53 AM
sans SVX

I thought that there was a single long bolt for the lateral links.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

I think he's talking about the trailing arm-to-knuckle bolt. I had read some stuff about that one being tough. Then I did my rear wheel bearings and HOLY COW that was one tough nut to crack. Ended up taking two of us each using all our strength with a breaker bar. The bolt just laughed at my pathetic impact wrench.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:05 AM

Yea..sorry. Wrong terminology. It was the trailing arm bolt. Ended up fashioning a 3' breaker setup for each side of the bolt (head and nut both). Two big guys putting all they have into it finally got it to break loose. We had to do about 4 or 5 raps on it with full breaker bars before we were able to use juse a regular ratchet. It was rediculous.

Then, all went smoothly until I pressed out the hub. The old outside inner race was, of course, still attached to the hub. I had no way of creating a strong lip behind the inner race to press it off. Fortunately, a friend of mine had the exact tool I needed. It was all smooth sailing from there on out except for dropping fresly greased seals on dirty floors and having to clean and re-grease them

Anyway, it's finished now. It was worth it.

It was odd when I pressed out the old bearing. There was definitely some friction going on in there, and the reason was that about 5 of the rollers has rotated themselves 90deg to an "on end" position. It was rediculous. Old grease was also shot.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the help!

Old 04-13-2006, 09:14 AM

would be great to have this documented in the How-to Locker

Hey,

my congratulations for replaceing the wheel bearings on your own. I have the feeling each SVX owner will have to face this problem sooner or later...
Therefore you would do the one of us who did not go thru this repair jet a huge favor in creating an entry in the how-to locker.
Escpecially the tool you mentioned which you borrowed from a friend would deserve a detailled description (your friend might even be able to tell us his source). Hope you took some pics.

Thanks!

Marcus
Old 04-13-2006, 04:05 PM

I'll see what I can do. Pics aren't necessary, I don't think. Half the time, though, I start writing a how to, get half way through, and then say "this doesn't make any sense without pics " That's when I stop working on it. Such as my 1/2 finished HID conversion How-to. But, lucky for y'all I have 2 hrs left at work and nothing to do....here goes nothing....

Old 04-14-2006, 05:15 AM

Wheel bearing only or wheel bearing assembly kit?

Thank you for spending the time on the how to do document, I am sure it will be very helpfull!
Today I searched for parts and looked at Courtesy Subaru Parts. They offer the bearing but also an assembly (aftermarket), which is cheaper.

The picture (attached) seems to indicate that you do not have to press the bearing in it's housing and you need not relubricate it, too. As I know relubrication seems to be very importand on the OEM parts, I wonder wether anyone went the easier and cheaper way useing the assay and would like to hear about the outcome of this.

regards

Marcus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearing_wheel_assembly.jpg (29.7 KB, 240 views)
Old 04-14-2006, 08:56 AM

I saw this same image on another parts site just yesterday and was wondering if this would be an easier solution also!
Old 04-14-2006, 11:39 AM

From that picture it looks like it's an entire hub/bearing assembly. That would still need to be pressed into the knuckle. I'm not sure what they're talking about. That picture, however, is definitely not an SVX part. I don't think there's any way around pressing. Plan on spending $130 for a press or close to $300 for a hub tamer if you want to do this on your own (unless you have access to either and can borrow).

I worked alot on the how to. It's almost finished, but I'm going to take a picture of a few things to make it more clear. Keep your eyes peeled for it.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:43 AM

Rear wheelbearings

Hi!
I´m going to replace my rear wheelbearings as well!
But i´ve got a small issue, There are not so many of the SVX:s in Sweden.
And ordering parts from the Subaru dealers is not a good idea, they order parts from Japan and usually takes up to 2-3 months before receiving the parts! .
Does anyone know the number of the SKF bearing that fittes the SVX?
Maybe if someone got the specs or number of the bearing?
Best regards: Patrik
Old 04-17-2006, 09:23 AM
sans SVX

1stsubaruparts.com (in the USA) will ship parts via EMS to you. Great prices and EMS shouldn't take more than two weeks.

Visit my locker

Old 04-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik70
Hi!
I´m going to replace my rear wheelbearings as well!
But i´ve got a small issue, There are not so many of the SVX:s in Sweden.
And ordering parts from the Subaru dealers is not a good idea, they order parts from Japan and usually takes up to 2-3 months before receiving the parts! .
Does anyone know the number of the SKF bearing that fittes the SVX?
Maybe if someone got the specs or number of the bearing?
Best regards: Patrik

SKF Part # for the rear is GRW182.

SKF Part # for the front is FW172.

To check yourself click HERE and then click on the "click here" link near the top of the page. I used the Timken numbers to cross reference. Rear 516003, Front 517007.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myetball
SKF Part # for the rear is GRW182.

SKF Part # for the front is FW172.

To check yourself click HERE and then click on the "click here" link near the top of the page. I used the Timken numbers to cross reference. Rear 516003, Front 517007.
Thank you very much!!