SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Steering Questions

Okay, this is Kindof a repost, I should have origionally put it in here.
To start off...I drive a 94L (fwd) Since the day I got it, the steering has been rough. It is extreamly hard to turn the wheel and it has spots where it suddenly "gives way" and decides to move into a certian space.It makes turning the car an extreamly not looking forward to typed event, because the car struggles to turn before jerking into place. You just cant hang a nice turn without the path the car makes being square.
The power steering pump has been replaced, so I doubt that is the problem. Ive been told to check the fluid levels...They check out. So its unlikely that it is something stupid. I think it may be a problem with the power steering rack. Is it possible that theres a sheered off gear in there that's causing troubles?I also thought for a moment it may be something with the steering column. Mabey something is caught in the yokes. The roughness and clunky spots are in the same spot all the time, since I got the car, its always a certian spot in the rotation of the steering wheel, so thats what made me think of that.
Either way, Im going to be trying to replace the power steering rack, and I have a few questions. For starters, the 94 L has that RPM based steering assist, wheres the older models had speed based. Are the power steering racks the same for my car and say....a 92 LSL ? If not, what would be needed to convert my car to the speed sensitive system? (I would like to do this if possible, its a better system)
Also any information of removing the power steerign rack would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance
-Eric
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 03-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I had a similiar problem with the Brat. Check the U-Joint that is in the steering column just above the rack. I sprayed mine with cleaner, then PB, then packed it with grease and it's been fine since...
Old 03-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Woah..a responce. Sweet!
Ill try that as soon as it isnt raining or as soon as AvPPoW gets home so I can borrow his garage
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 03-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Steering Rack

Just changed the steering rack on my '94 LSi which is speed sensitive. This type came on all LSi models and the 92-93 LS with the Touring Package. There is an electrical connection on top unlike the RPM sentive units. Unless you can find a good used one or inexpensive rebuilt one, the cost will choke you.

Also had to drop the suspension on one side to get at it but fortunately was able to work aroung the exhaust.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 03-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
yeah, im not too worried about the parts involved..I have a 92 LSL parts car in my yard, so I would be taking the rack (and all neccicary other stuff) from that. I will try the steering column joints first though. My friend mentioned that they go bad on alot of cars, so Im intrested to see if cleaning it up would help.
Hocrest, what should I use / do to clean the joints?

Old 03-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I don't quite recall, but it would have been something I had handy while working on the Brat... So that would make it Brake cleaner or Carb cleaner.

Mine looked all gunked up with 19 year old grease/dirt/oil/grass... so I just wanted something to clear that crap out so I could replace it with a knuckle that I got from the JY. After cleaning, I used some PB to loosen the bolts and shaft and was planning to leave the PB work for a day or two before I went to take it apart. Later that day, I went to drive her, and the steering was free so I repacked it with grease and she's been good for the past 20 months.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Thanks alot dave, ill be trying that tomorrow hopefully

Old 03-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
I had a similiar problem with the Brat. Check the U-Joint that is in the steering column just above the rack. I sprayed mine with cleaner, then PB, then packed it with grease and it's been fine since...
Did it tonight. Im still unsure why you wanted me to spray peanut butter on it, but it worked!
Steering is now free and smoothe. Thanks dave

Old 03-04-2006, 02:34 PM

Steering

Hi I had the same issue and my Subaru mechanic diagnosed the rack was bad. I ordered a brand new one for nothing. I replaced the universal joint assembly after the rack and it solved the problem. I'm glad someone else didn't get burned like me.

Mike
Old 03-04-2006, 10:55 PM
One teal and One yellow

That's amazing. I'm glad to see this trick working out well.

My teal's steering respond is so smooth, when it's slow, it's light. When you drive faster, it becomes heavy. But, my yellow one is described as Eric's. Before I had my O-ring and PS main pressure line changed, I didn't have the problem. I don't know...but I noticed there's some oil on the cover, maybe the oil gets onto the belt/pulley so it doesn't work as smooth...? Any pic on the U-joint? I should check and try this, if it'll work for my case.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 03-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Did you try freeing up the U joint yet SSVX? I would post a pic or two, but im camraless. The U joints are fairly small...probly about an inch and a half wide or so, and located straight down behind the battery. you can see them pretty easilly. I had my friend spray the joints liberally with PB blaster while I slowly turned the wheel back and forth. Hopefully that helps you out

Old 03-06-2006, 11:25 PM
One teal and One yellow

Thanks for asking Eric! Not yet, I have not! My priority is to schedule for another 4.44 swap first. I will keep this in mind and check it out later. Will you know. May take some pics.

PS: why pb blaster? Can I use WD40 or any cleaning product?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 03-07-2006, 07:04 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Since we are on steering..has anyone rebuilt a rack? I put inner tie rod ends on mine and now it drips. Im guessing there are some seals wearing out but are they replaceable? I really dont want to fork over 400 bux for a new one. Do I have any other options?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 03-11-2006, 12:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to 19svx94
i have not rebuilt a rack but if that does not work out for you i have a 92 svx with the touring package that i am parting out and i still have the rack so we could work out a price for it if yours is not repairable, good luck