Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 12-18-2005, 02:35 AM
Sixpack Subaru

I thought the tailshaft was ABOVE the exhaust, how can the exhaust, (or parts thereof), lower itself 'upwards'???
Not flaming, just confused!

Cheers
Sixpack
Old 12-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Mr Soob

You see, I've had it through Penrith Subaru a few times, and as I said they've pulled it apart a zillion times... I'd have thought they'd have picked this up.

It's definitely a 'road bump' rattle, but strangely when I'm off the power it seems more prevalent, which made me think it may be the exhaust itself tapping against something. Definitely not associated with engine, wheel or gear speed.

I've gone over it with them umpteen times, but I suspect they are checking the wrong things. They did manage to catch out that there was a missing bolt in an exhaust hanger the first time around (which I thought would fix it for sure!), but no luck.

I'd normally do these things myself, but after adding up the time needed to work, travel, sleep and the various activites required to survive, I am coming up with a deficit of around 10 hours per week. Leaves me a tough schedule to fit in 'us time'.

===========

I also have a buzzing through the exhaust at 1,900 -> 2,100rpm and ~4,000rpm, which I'm reasonably sure is the cat blown out (212,000km) or if not; it's potentially a loose exhaust baffle. I only say this because it drives me nuts as well, seeing as it mostly cruises (at just about any damn speed except freeway) at 2krpm. The drone is making me go batty! I'll fix it soon; just gotta find which cat it is, and what replacement I can use.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Sixpack Subaru

Hey McTaff!
Just a thought but the heatshields on the 'headers'/exh manifold are known for cracking and losing their 'fiber-packing'.
When are you down melb way next and we'll go for a test drive.
(if I can't fix it, it ain't broke)
Cheers--=keep up the info--=I'll keep thinking!!LOL!!
Sixpack
Old 12-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack Subaru
Never had to Bill,
have done lots of o/size stuff on EJ's, they recommend .5mm on some models, I have gone to 1.0mm on turbo units as well without issues. Although they were closed deck. I would probably have a good look at where the reliefs are machined out for the inner case half bolts before I decided to bore out with out resleeving-I have had many that have split down this section when loaded excessively after boring out! Even on a std application EJ22! What did you have in mind?
Sixpack
Sixpack,
Bunch of us are discussing how much displacement we might be able to get out of the EG33 engine by boring the block and stroking the crankshaft. There are a couple of threads already on-going on the site talking about possible mixtures of pistons and rods.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-18-2005, 11:31 PM

McTaff,
I will bet you both issues are related the buzzing is from the centre cat. Mine failed at 230,000 K which was good considering the punishment it gets on rocks etc.

Have a look at the attached image as to where we replaced the Cat. I am so confident that the buzz will go away I will put 100 bucks bet on it. So take a chance and see.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0034.JPG (117.4 KB, 241 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Sixpack Subaru

Are you talking custom crankshaft or just an offset grind?
I had a mate who was a bit of a wacko, and he wanted to the same thing!!!LOL!! Ok so lets be realistic, you can maybe get .75mm from the bore wall, you 'may' be able to offset grind 'a little', but lets face it, there is not alot of room in the case for a larger diam crank throw without 'alot' of die-grinder work and maybe some welding? The other thing is pistons. I have a contact over here that make pistons from scratch. Basically, he turns up to your shop with his van and his 'plastacine', does the math, takes your math away with a mould of the cylinder head, and comes back about 3 weeks later with a new set of pistons!! Last set I fitted were to a Nissan RB30Hybrid that ran a 12 sec pass and melted the electrodes off the spark plugs!!! Put the pistons were fine!!!! But they COST!!! What sort have things have you come up with?

Sixpack
Old 12-19-2005, 12:58 AM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
QUOTE=Sixpack Subaru "I thought the tailshaft was ABOVE the exhaust, how can the exhaust, (or parts thereof), lower itself 'upwards'???

Cheers
Sixpack"/QUOTE

yes you are correct sorry got muddled when explaining, but it is still that partictar shield i am refering to, it taps against the center bearing beacuse it has, at some stage been misshapen!

Mctaff, all the symptoms you have described are absolutly identical to mine!!
When you go over bumps the heat shild bumps against the center baring, when you back off, the vrbration also causes it to tap the center bearing, mine got so bad it became constant (driving round with out the cat back exaust didnt help ), the only way i found it was by jacking up the car, lying underneath it and "jiggling" the rear drive shaft back and forth!

I would sugest giving what i say ago before you go forking out money to get things changed!

Im not a beting man myself but give it ago.... cheack out the diagram!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ics/diaram.jpg

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads

Last edited by -JJ-; 12-19-2005 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Sixpack Subaru

Worth a shot! I'm not a beetting man eitherLOL!!!
(I love Typoo's)LOL!
Cjheers
Sixpack
Old 12-19-2005, 06:39 AM
Endangered Species

LOL, Damn it you saw my post before i edited it , you sure gotta be quick around here hehehe

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 12-20-2005, 04:15 AM
Sixpack Subaru

LOL, DAMIT! I'm Quick.....(LOL!!).

Cheers man, good info AND vibes!!!

Sixpack
Old 12-20-2005, 04:18 AM
Sixpack Subaru

And this is what it's all about ppl.........
sharing.....
(Sixpack; feels all warm and fuzzy for a second then headbutts desk a few times.....till it fades)...LOL!
Cheers

Sixpack
Old 12-20-2005, 05:20 AM
Endangered Species

ROFL, hehe, thats it 100% right, ok McTaff now u gotta let us know how u went!

Old 12-22-2005, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
QUOTE=Sixpack Subaru "I thought the tailshaft was ABOVE the exhaust, how can the exhaust, (or parts thereof), lower itself 'upwards'???

Cheers
Sixpack"/QUOTE

yes you are correct sorry got muddled when explaining, but it is still that partictar shield i am refering to, it taps against the center bearing beacuse it has, at some stage been misshapen!

Mctaff, all the symptoms you have described are absolutly identical to mine!!
When you go over bumps the heat shild bumps against the center baring, when you back off, the vrbration also causes it to tap the center bearing, mine got so bad it became constant (driving round with out the cat back exaust didnt help ), the only way i found it was by jacking up the car, lying underneath it and "jiggling" the rear drive shaft back and forth!

I would sugest giving what i say ago before you go forking out money to get things changed!

Im not a beting man myself but give it ago.... cheack out the diagram!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ics/diaram.jpg
Had basically the same, wasn't until they put it onto a hoist and had the wheels turning that it was picked up, original thoughts were that it was something loose in the front r/h brake, then something in the cat, and then some other thing which I didn't quite catch. Mech just reached up and bent it. Pure pleasure to drive after that.

It appears that I have done it again, I will have to slow down a tad on those dirt roads.

K
Old 12-22-2005, 04:53 AM

I have a problem I need help with, when traveling at a constant speed above 100kph the rev change slightly ever now and then. They shift 100 to 150 rpm the dealer thinks it is transmission switching into and out of direct drive in top gear. Think I understand what he means but as yet he hasn't been able to tell me how to fix it. Changed TPS but didn't fix the problem, all suggestions, idea and shear genius greatly appricated.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:55 AM
Sixpack Subaru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennEls
Had basically the same, wasn't until they put it onto a hoist and had the wheels turning that it was picked up, original thoughts were that it was something loose in the front r/h brake, then something in the cat, and then some other thing which I didn't quite catch. Mech just reached up and bent it. Pure pleasure to drive after that.

It appears that I have done it again, I will have to slow down a tad on those dirt roads.

K
Which dirt roads are you hittin' lately KennEls?? Anywhere 'challenging?'
Tell you what, we just got back from a trip to the Eildon Dam, the side road that goes over the spillway and circles around the catchment is just an absolute 'car-advert' road-(as we call it!!LOL!).
If you get a chance, it craps on the black spur, the Great Ocean Rd etc, Oh and BTW there is a 'Hillclimb' rd that is on the left about 1.5 kms in. Take the turn to the left!!!! You go up about 7-800Metres in 2.7kms!! and the last half is a one way road!!! THe best bit is the fact the road, (actual black-top/tarmac/bitumen), is absolutley deserted, there are leaves everywhere and you need to dodge the occasional fallen tree/branch etc....
But I HIGHLY recommend it!!!!!
VERY good for the soul
Cheers
Sixpack Subaru

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: