Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-12-2005, 10:11 PM
SVX Appeal

Honestly, no matter what you get you'll still be itching for more power sooner than later. Modern 600s are rocketships though, and will get you in trouble ridiculously fast. A 600 should keep you close to death long enough to either put some sense into you or splatter your guts all over the pavement - whichever comes first. I'd go for the Yamaha, but I don't have much to back up that opinion. Since you claim the reason for the bike is to save money, I think you're nuts to buy such a new bike. Even if a big part of the motivation is cause bikes are cool and you've always wanted one, you can still get an awesome bike that's a few years older and save a ton of money.

Some people really benefit from the safety courses - some people don't. Not everybody knows which person they are, but if you've already got a lot of hours on bikes, you're probably in the later group. Definitely go with the helmet though. Leather is also a very good idea, even if it's hot outside or if it's just a pain to put on.

And yes, no matter how good-looking your bike is, it's still invisible. I've thought about carrying a baseball bat so I could smash the windows of cars that try to "share the road" a bit too much.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
And yes, no matter how good-looking your bike is, it's still invisible. I've thought about carrying a baseball bat so I could smash the windows of cars that try to "share the road" a bit too much.
Hahaha good idea, also make sure that a COP is not around there while you r busy in smashing

-Pavan
Old 09-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
the 600cc bikes of today are suposedly as fast as the liter bikes of a few years ago, scarey thought. The R6 is quite possibly the badest of all street bikes, keep in mind that the liter bikes have more power, but weigh more as well, so take longer to change directions... If you can find a 250 or 500cc bike and ride it for a summer then go for it, learn that way, 600cc sport bike is, in my opinion, way too much for a beginer, in 1 crack of the wrist you are likley exceding all speed limits in North America.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

GSX-R and take a riding course.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 09-13-2005, 05:05 AM
One teal and One yellow

my opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayUFO
With gas prices keeping me at right around a 1/4 tank of gas and borrowing money from mom to go to work, I decided that getting a bike would be more economical and efficient. My choice you may ask?

First option is a 2004 Yamaha R6 with 3k on the odometer. If it requires a down payment, then getting that bike is out of the question. Second option is a 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600 that requires no down payment and on both payments per month are $100. Either way, I am getting a sport bike today. Any thoughts???

Keith
the bikes you're talking about is definitely way faster than an SVX

just wondering if you're getting your first bike? did you have any experience? it might be too much for a new rider. or you might consider getting something as 250cc...you will save more gas and your insurance and safer

on top of that, you might save some money for you gas prices. but those bikes are expensive toys, it might cost you alot, alot more for insurance than your svx? have you checked it out?

i like those bikes you mentioned.... if i ever get a second bike, those will be my lists....

let me know what your decision!

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 09-13-2005, 06:04 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If you're a new rider, DON"T buy a 600(or bigger) sport bike, you're asking to get hurt.
And you said it was for the fuel economy, so pick up a Suzuki GS500F (it’s way faster than a SVX. of course my wife’s VTR250 is faster than a stock SVX ), it has a much friendlier power band, and the F model has the full sport bike fairings, and will get 60 MPG…the 600’s will get around 40mpg AND require premium fuel.

I’ve been riding bikes my whole life, street bikes for about 20 years, and the best advise I can give you is to ride like you’re invisible, assume NO ONE can see you, it’s up to YOU to avoid them, as they are NOT going to avoid you ….and definitely take the MSF course, even if you’ve ridden some, you WILL learn something.... and it will get you a discount on your insurance.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
OK, some more input.

No, the SV-650 is not a good bike for a beginner. It's too torquey and will pop a wheelie without too much encouragement. If you're aware of this, you'll probably be OK but I tried it myself and found it too easy to get light on the front.

I agree with others on the thread, a 500cc is a much better bet for a beginner rider.

Finally, if you're a beginner rider, get a used bike, trust me it's going to be less stressful. If you've never ridden before or not ridden in a while you will lay your bike down at some point. It's not a matter of if. Hell, I recently dropped my bike at a gas station because I got distracted and forgot to put down the kickstand while I was getting off. Broke my brake lever off about half way down.

Most of what breaks on a bike is not a problem to replace or fix... and is usually pretty cheap. However, you have to understand that you will more than likely drop the bike at some point... the older the bike and the less you paid for it the less you'll stress about damage. I ride a 1991 bike because I know that sooner or later I'll cause damage to it. When I've been riding for a couple of years, I'll upgrade to a newer bike... but for now I'll stick with what I've got.

Even an older bike will save you on gas. It'll also save you on insurance, and cost you less at the outset. Besides, if you then discover you're not cut out for or not comfortable with riding then you can easily sell it and you're not out much.

Food for thought.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:25 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

Trust me, I have been thinking this over for the past few weeks. My plan is to get and park the thing over the winter, take the classes, and ride happy all summer next year. I have been riding dirt bikes since I was old enough to keep the bike right side up at a standstill.

I have ridden a few R6's in my time and have yet to ride a GSX-R. I definately don't want anything over a 600cc. I have my limitations you know. Anything over 100 on two wheels just doesn't sit well as I have experienced it a few times. Maybe just my comfort level.

If I have to, I will wait until next year to purchase and save all winter so payments are very few in number, plus the '06 GSX-R600 looks sweet.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 09-14-2005, 05:25 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Anything over 100 on two wheels just doesn't sit well as I have experienced it a few times. Maybe just my comfort level.

Keith
My wife's 1990 Honda VTR250 will haul my 180 pound butt over 100mph .....and gets 70mpg
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-14-2005, 06:48 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Trust me, I have been thinking this over for the past few weeks. My plan is to get and park the thing over the winter, take the classes, and ride happy all summer next year. I have been riding dirt bikes since I was old enough to keep the bike right side up at a standstill.

I have ridden a few R6's in my time and have yet to ride a GSX-R. I definately don't want anything over a 600cc. I have my limitations you know. Anything over 100 on two wheels just doesn't sit well as I have experienced it a few times. Maybe just my comfort level.

If I have to, I will wait until next year to purchase and save all winter so payments are very few in number, plus the '06 GSX-R600 looks sweet.

Keith
It's good to see you're being sensible about this. Apologies somewhat for my immediate reactions here on the forum, but I have way too many friends who have recently decided they just have to get a bike... mostly driven by high gas prices. Very few of them seem to realize what they're really talking about. Personally, I got my bike because (a) I wanted to, and (b) I wanted to. The good gas mileage was simply a fringe benefit that ended up being NO benefit for the first month as I put almost 1500 miles on my bike just because I enjoyed riding the thing so damned much

I agree that the R600 is a sweet looking bike. However, some of my advice still holds. Although you can rarely "test drive" a bike like you can a car, it still would be a good idea to go up to the dealer and ask to sit on them. Make sure they don't bug you for at least 10 or 15 minutes per bike... see how the seat feels after a few minutes of your weight on it. Also, try lifting each leg to the pegs in turn and see how you "fold" on the bike.

My experience is that even similar looking bikes feel very different. To be honest I didn't much like the Nighthawk at first; too heavy at the top compared to my last bike (a Ninja 250 I owned almost 10 years ago) and I didn't much like the seat. However, a couple hundred bucks to Corbin and 4500 miles later I'm really happy that I bought this bike. I still have a bad habit of occasionally flooding it in the morning while trying to get it started... but the weight ended up being a good thing in crosswinds.

Be careful out there. Oh, and here's a list I posted to my blog yesterday as I was actually thinking about this thread on the way home from work;

Anyway, some thoughts on using a motorcycle as a daily "driver";

# Be prepared to be consistently 10 minutes late for work because you're (a) donning safety equipment, (b) flooded the bike or (c) (more likely) you decided that "the twisty route might be quicker."
# When you're on a bike, you're part of the environment. You're a piece of the world that is travelling through it. Your vision is unsurpassed. Be prepared for other bits of the environment to become one with you... like flies, mosquitos and occasionally (painfully) june bugs.
# On your commute to work, pass cattle trucks at least two lanes over. Failure to do so will add another piece of the environment to the above list.
# Prepare your co-workers for the fact that most days you'll come to work smelling of exhaust fumes, oil, gasoline and chain lube. Failure to do so may limit future advancement prospects.
# Be prepared to explain the other smell caused by... ahem... environmental factors (see above)
# Trust me, other people don't drive like you're invisible. You are.
# Have fun! You're combining a fun and absorbing hobby with work. After work you can look forward to doing it again. Most of your co-workers can't do this and only have their cars to return in. If your co-workers drive a Porsche they might know a little about the exhileration you feel... but they'll also know a lot more than you about expensive repair bills.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx
I still have a bad habit of occasionally flooding it in the morning while trying to get it started...
They still haven't fixed that problem. My 83 does the same blasted thing!
Old 09-14-2005, 07:54 PM

Registered SVX
I'm riding a Goldwing trike , they don't pull out in front of that sucker ( pictures in locker ( John Luciano ) 38 MPG but almost as safe as a car. Glad I bought it before the gas crunch ( got it 3 years ago ) every thing that gets better than 30 MPG including and all the bikes that people have not looked at in 15 years are out on the lawn with huge price tags on them .
Old 09-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx
# Have fun! You're combining a fun and absorbing hobby with work. After work you can look forward to doing it again. Most of your co-workers can't do this and only have their cars to return in. If your co-workers drive an SVX they might know a little about the exhileration you feel... but they'll also know a lot more than you about expensive repair bills.

Fixed it
Old 09-15-2005, 09:37 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
Fixed it
<groan> Yeah, I know that feeling too unfortunately. That's part of the reason I ride my bike instead of driving my SVX... she just needs more TLC (and $) than I'm willing to put in right now.

Oh, and I added another one to my blog last night for your amusement;

# When wearing your safety gear, be prepared to be greeted as (depending upon age) (a) Robby the Robot, (b) Darth Vader/Stormtrooper or (c) Buzz Lightyear of Star Command

Old 09-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Good morning!

Youy missed *people will ask you 5 times at every stop why bikers always wear kinkey sex leather

<--------loves his black leather pants