Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 09-10-2005, 04:36 AM

Stage 3 twin screw supercharger

I think I need some serious counciling, I just purchased a Stage 3 supercharger from ECUTune in the USA today to go with the 5 speed I have coming in as well. Guess you could say I would prefer to spend a bit of money on my car then buy a new one. When Subaru decide to come out with a SVX replacement I will be the first customer but till then I am sticking with it. From what I read with mod it should put out around 400hp. Considering I drive around the country (on dirt) as well as in the cities the unit will get a real test.
Tony
Old 09-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Tony,
Congrats on your purchase! Might want to purchase some wider rally tires to go with all that extra horsepower!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The Dessertrunner gets a blow job.

Good move Tony, you won't be dissapointed. Just the thing to accelerate past the roadtrains. I do have some reservations about the life of a clutch and manual trans behind this setup. At least you don't have too many traffic lights there to stress the clutch. I've had a few supercharged cars, definately the way to GO.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
wow

wow, sounds awsome, has anyone else in aus got a setup to match that????, would love to hear how it works out for you!!!

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 09-10-2005, 11:24 PM

I will keep you posted, I am sure that the SVX engine is solid enough to take it. The engine I have in my car now is reaching 300k and it still runs brilliant and shows no sign of dieing. I would be surprised if it doesn't do 500k. Given my job and were I live I regularly hit 160 to 200 kph with out a problem. I do intend to get a low k one for the super charges. The guy from ECUTune did say that the ECU units on the Australian SVX's are different from the US one's so to get the software to run I had to buy a ECU from the US. Hope you are all having a good day.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Mr Soob

Damn, and I was hoping to be the first. Oh well, let us know how it works out.

Harv, any ideas on how the supercharger would mate up to a stock 4EAT with Uncle Sam's ECU?

DesertRunner, I'd actually put the charger on the high k engine first. If you blow it up or anything, at least you did it on a motor that deserved to go out with a bang! In my experience, if you put it on an old and tired motor, and start breaking things, replace the parts you break with the 2nd parts from your good engine. Get new, and preferably stronger ones for the good (low k) car. That way, it's cheaper if you continually break the same part (breaking it twice will tell you if there is majr work to be done.)

This way if you run the old one into the ground, you'll end up with a strong bastard of a (low k) car to throw the charger on once you've worked out all the bugs. Strap an import engine into the exploded/wrung out/worn out car and bobsyeruncle. I'd love to have three SVX's - one as a daily driver test bed while I build one from the ground up...

Good luck with the forced induction, and please PLEASE keep us posted. I have been very keen to do this, and I almost had the money to go ahead with it. Your success will depend on my willingness to go ahead with it.

Now for the crucial question... how much did all that set you back in US$ and A$ ?!?!?
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Don't know where you get the idea that the SVX engine will break with this blower set-up. Mike was going to run about 7/9 lbs, this is only a low pressure, and as such won't stress the engine internals at all. Raising the rev range will stress the internals a lot more, but with the added torque right through the rev range, there is no need to run it, at high rpms to use the power. I would not have recommended the set-up in the first place, if i thought it would damage the engine.

The end result will be, as if the engine was replaced with a 5lt engine with the same torque curve, only 50/60% higher. Depending on the use the car gets, will control the problems that may show. For instance, useing it for normal driving, there should be no problems. Useing for circuit racing, where the boost is going to be maintained for extended peroids, could show a need for extra engine cooling, and maybe some water injection at the top of the boost scale to prevent detonation and maintain the power level.

The main point is the engine rpm/to boost pressure. If full boost is applied at very low rpms, detonation would be a real problem, the throttle would have to be moderated to limit the boost, till the rpm rises. the engine should take the full pressure from about 2500. This should not happen if you are using the 4eat, as the box will allways bring the rpms up as the load is applied(change down, converter multiplacation). But if a manual is used, you could get full boost at 1500 rpm, this would cause uncontrolled detonation, even retarded spark won't prevent it.

Which brings us to the transmission. I would recommend the 4eat, Euro box that you have, as I believe this is the only box that can servive behind this engine. It can handle the full torque, from a standing start. A 5 speed manual will be a pain in the arse to drive, there will be large amounts of torque at any rpm. You will find that, out of the 6 gears, you will take off in 1st shift to 4th then to 6th. You will have to use 1st because the clutch won't handle a 2nd gear take off. That brings us to the clutch. It is possible that this engine will produce 400+ft/lbs of torque at 1500 rpm from a standing start, what 4cyl clutch is going to connect this up? Sure a blowen WRX can put out this sort of torque, but not from a standing start, the boost isn't there at low rpms. A twin plate clutch would do the service, if you can stand the rattles.

They are having troubles useing these boxs behind standard engines.
Don't think you need these problems Tony. The blowen engine, with the auto box and the 3.7:1 diff. will make for a reliable, fuss free, Dessertrunner.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:04 AM

I will take your advice Harvey, I have thought about buying another car to play with but I am just to attached to my one even though it is getting tied. Everyone at work though I would pinch the low K one I brought for the wife but I want it to be standard and to have a long and protected life. If I drive it my job reqiures me to go round farms (mud water rocks etc) and I just couldn't do that to any other car. As regards fitting the SC to the older engine I think that would not be a fair test given its age. McTaff I understand what you are saying but my guess is that I will just change the engine back and forth when I want to. Harvey I do like the manual box so I will have to think through what you have said. As regards price it was over $8,000 Aust but I figure that I run my own business and have 40 people employed if I brought a BMW or Merc people wouldn't thing anything of it and that would cost more. When I brought the SVX a couple of years ago I looked at all the cars up to $150,000 and nothing could do all I needed, dirt, city, speed & four wheel dirve and stand up to the punishment and ask for more. If you consider I drove over 110,000 K in the last 12 months there will be time to try a lot of different options. I will keep you posted.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:35 PM
MisanthropyV

haven't read all of thread, so forgive if this has been mentioned.

You will need to buy a USDM ECU for your SVX over here as the software is different. I tried Stage 1 modification over here and had problems.

Let us all know how the conversion goes, and post details on the 5 speed conversion too!!! Is it the SmallCars conversion??? Do you know whether it's a compatible pedal assembly and all???

Much appreciated, and good luck!!!

I will be getting the supercharger when it is financially feasible...unless I can get the 5 speed...

Paulie.

Last edited by MisanthropyV; 09-20-2005 at 11:46 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: