Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 06-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Anybody have a late model camaro/firebird?

Better yet have or know anybody with a cage in one?
I've been doing some research about putting a cage in our race car. Measured a fellow members interior in his 97ish camaro this past weekend thinking it might give up a cheap 10 point cage set up. The dimensions are scary similar to the SVX. Actually the Camaro is slightly smaller in the areas of concern but within an inch of interior width, length from the front to rear of the floor and height. I'm fairly certain we can go with it but want to be sure. The ones I've been looking hat are made by Competition Engineering and for the 8 point cage it is about $150. The 10 point add on would run about $100 more. Only real issue is that the requirements for Solo 1 are that the cage be 1 3/4" but the 10 point add-on is only 1 5/8" so that might need to be made seperately or hopefully I can source that too. Next cheapest cage I've found is an autopower which is about $500. Of course neither includes welding it together (anybody wanna do it for beer or advertising on the car just needs to be 130 amp which is the max I could do with my pitiful machine).

If anybody has or knows of someone with a cage in one please let me know. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

I know this may be of no use to you at all, but my buddy has a cage in his 2002 TransAm WS6. Real nice. Bad news is that the company does not make them any more and he had a real hard time finding one. If you want I can find out additional info, but I know he paid at least $500 for it.

-Matt
Old 06-23-2005, 06:37 PM

Actually, that might be perfect. Even though they don't make them anymore I'm sure the fit would be very similar to the one's I've been looking at (at least for the mounting points etc.) If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you in your leisure snap some pic and take some measurements if I sent ya some film and what I'd need.

I did borrow a fellow SCCAer's car for some measurements but his was without cage. The one I'm looking at the most is from Competion Engineering. It is basically the bent pipes sent to ya which I think I can easily have someone weld in and make any fit issues go away but just wanna see where they mount on a BOF (body on frame) car and if it'll work on a unibody construction.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Actually, that might be perfect. Even though they don't make them anymore I'm sure the fit would be very similar to the one's I've been looking at (at least for the mounting points etc.) If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you in your leisure snap some pic and take some measurements if I sent ya some film and what I'd need.
Film? People still use that archaic method of capturing images? I'll be happy to take some for you. I will send them via the pony express.

Actually, I haven't owned a 35mm camera since the mid-90's. I'll get some good digital pics to you. I sent my friend an email letting him know I want some pics. If he can't take any, I will when I see him a the next autox in mid-July. Anything specifically you want to see?

-Matt
Old 06-24-2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14
Film? People still use that archaic method of capturing images? I'll be happy to take some for you. I will send them via the pony express.

Actually, I haven't owned a 35mm camera since the mid-90's. I'll get some good digital pics to you. I sent my friend an email letting him know I want some pics. If he can't take any, I will when I see him a the next autox in mid-July. Anything specifically you want to see?

-Matt

Just the people who don't want their pictures to look archaic in 20 years when digital technology is so much further advanced.

Where it mounts up front and behind the front seats. The other thing I'd love is the dimensions from the 4 corner mounts (front left to front right, front left to rear left, rear left to rear right) and the height of the actual cage from the floor. That's it! No hurry as it would probably be a winter project anyways but would love to know that it'll fit which I'm fairly certain it will. Did you know that the SVX is wider than the C/F? Granted just by a few inches inside but that shocked me. I thought the SVX interior would be closer to the fox gen mustangs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: