Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
How good is the 5/6 sp swap

Sry guys but this thread is reserved for people who have made the 5/6 spd swap or want to make it. Ok the only question I have, and others may have some is how reliable is the tranny for the swap. I hate the idea of having to get my tranny rebuilt (give or take) every two years ( I have heard) so next time it blows I want to put in the swap but I want to know how reliable and where you bought yours thanks
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If your name is not Jesse and you don't do something stupid the tranny will outlast the 4EAT.

I've been running for 1.5 years on a 2002 WRX tranny without any issues. I highly recommend the conversion.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast
Sry guys but this thread is reserved for people who have made the 5/6 spd swap or want to make it. Ok the only question I have, and others may have some is how reliable is the tranny for the swap. I hate the idea of having to get my tranny rebuilt (give or take) every two years ( I have heard) so next time it blows I want to put in the swap but I want to know how reliable and where you bought yours thanks
Get a transmission cooler and you won't have to get it rebuilt every two years. Heat kills transmissions....especially the svx's transmission.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-07-2005, 01:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I have around 200 thousand miles on the 95 Impreza tranny in my SVX and the only problem is that the syncros are going on 4th & 5th gears and 1st and 2nd whine a lot. But hey...it has 200K miles on it.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:45 PM
One teal and One yellow

Question

So do 5speed/6 speed SVXes produce alot of less heat in the tranny?

Pro:
Accelerate better
Better control in speed

Con:
lower high-end speed?

About the same gas mileages?!

I'm sure there're alot of more on Pros and Cons. Anyone cares to add?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
If your name is not Jesse and you don't do something stupid the tranny will outlast the 4EAT.

I've been running for 1.5 years on a 2002 WRX tranny without any issues. I highly recommend the conversion.
How much it cost you for your conversion? Would a legacy tranny more suitable for SVX's character/performance?
Thanks

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 06-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
So do 5speed/6 speed SVXes produce alot of less heat in the tranny?

Pro:
Accelerate better
Better control in speed

Con:
lower high-end speed?

About the same gas mileages?!

Manual transmissions produce much less heat as a result of not having a torque converter. As long as the torque converter is not locked it's constantly slipping like a clutch and creating heat.

You don't lose high end speed...I'll run out of power before I run out of gear.

Highway mileage is about the same but city mileage got better for me.

I spent CAD$2750 for the entire conversion and it was well worth the money over replacing my broken 4EAT with another 4EAT. As for the gearing I prefer the 3.90 WRX gearing since it leaves me with a decent cruising RPM.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Back Road Blazer

Hey Earthworm, I am confused, what do you call normal wear, I mean, I hate to say I most likly speak for us all but, Don't all of us run the car (on occasion) alittle harder then it was meant to be ran? so in that case what is normal wear, don't speed on odd days or..., but the overall vibe is do it right?
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast
Don't all of us run the car (on occasion) alittle harder then it was meant to be ran? so in that case what is normal wear, don't speed on odd days or..., but the overall vibe is do it right?
I drive harder than I should be...but never had a problem with the 5MT.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Stick - cup holder = no drinky.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Stick - cup holder = no drinky.

Stick-Cup holder+ Wedgie Cup Holder= Drinky if you want
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Back Road Blazer

I don't have a cup holder, do I?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:01 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I can't speak for longevity, as I am the newest 5 speeder on the block. But as for performance, WOW. There is no way I would ever consider going back!! It's not even close to the same car!

Mine goes a bit further than some. I used the tranny from a 2001 RS, which had 4:11 gearing. It has a lightened flywheel, which allows the motor to jump to attention, and a performance clutch, which lets me drive harder than I should. It also has the full Koni/ GC suspension, which does a great job putting the power to the road.

In spite of it's porkiness, my car is no longer a gran tourismo. It is a real sports car, with truly awesome acceleration. The ability to keep the rpm's in the powerband instead of letting the spongy tranny wallow around searching for gears whenever it feels like it makes the ride incredible.

And about that top speed- I can't even think about giving it any excercise in 5th. I'm not interested in a speeding ticket that far over 120 mph.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Meow!

hehe, another satisfied customer!
Old 06-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
The 5mt conversion is the tits!! I would recomend it to anyone. My 5mt is a daily driver and I drove it for a good 6 months on a trans known to have a bad center diff. I would say, if it is driven within reason, it will be less troublsome and easier to fix if it does break than an auto. I also hate working on and driving auto's so I guess my point of view is a bit biased. Go for the 5mt... everyones doing it

Tom