How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 07:01 PM
RobSVX

Leaky 'Plate' between Engine and Tranny ?

Hey,
I took the car to the dealer for an Oil Change and Checkout (had a coupon). He told me, there 's some plate that's leaking and sits between the engine and tranny ?
Since I wasn't dumping the cash into it (its 10 years old so waste of $), I'm curious what the heck he was talking about ? I know what a rear seal is, but that's not a plate...

Thoughts ?
-Robert
Old 03-24-2005, 08:06 PM

the only "plate" in there is the flex-plate, and yes, it would probably be a rear main seal to be leaking oil there. A much less likely cause (IMO) would be a leak at the tube that seals the differential from the input shaft (between torque converter and tranny). That would mean the leak was Diff fluid, and a simple smell test should eliminate that as a choice. Lastly, I suppose the seal at the input shaft of the tranny could be leaking and allowing ATF to migrate up inside the tube mentioned before. This of course would mean red stuff coming out.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:40 AM
THAWA

Probably meant the separator plate. It's allows access to the right bank of pistons for removing pins and whatnot. I think it has another purpose aswell, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:42 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSVX
Hey,
I took the car to the dealer for an Oil Change and Checkout (had a coupon). He told me, there 's some plate that's leaking and sits between the engine and tranny ?
Since I wasn't dumping the cash into it (its 10 years old so waste of $), I'm curious what the heck he was talking about ? I know what a rear seal is, but that's not a plate...

Thoughts ?
-Robert

It's called the oil seperator plate. Pretty common to replace on older vehicles. The part is relatively cheap, but the labor is costly as it involves removing the tranny. Like THAWA, I'm not real sure what purpose it serves.

Dave
Old 03-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The separator removes the oil mist from the air moving to the PCV valve before entering the engine. It is not visable from underneath the car because it is in the space between the engine and tranmission and behind the flex plate.

What ever is leaking may slow down if you add some Lucas Oil Stablizer. It has helped a lot on my engine.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:26 PM
RobSVX

Thanks guys... Once again, I get the right answer !

Atleast I know what he meant...

I'll check out the Lucas Oil Stabilizer product.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
It is a plastic plate on the back of the engine which is replaced later on by an aluminum plate. the plastic one must be cracked, like the case was with my car, i had to buy another one from the dealer (i think for either $35 or $50) and change it.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
Funny you should mention

that plate. I just had the rear main seal replaced, and did the plate at the same time.

Since I work for Subaru, I got a good deal on the parts, but here's the part number if anyone needs it:

11831AA150

Retail: $18.86
Old 03-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo
that plate. I just had the rear main seal replaced, and did the plate at the same time.

Since I work for Subaru, I got a good deal on the parts, but here's the part number if anyone needs it:

11831AA150

Retail: $18.86
Roo, is it plastic or aluminum??

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
The part...

The part is aluminum. The original plate was plastic, and they found it to not be stable/durable enough. They changed it out for aluminum.