Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 10:13 AM

Which solenoid then. Wouldn't a code be thrown? And I'm guessing this would have not been replaced during the rebuild. Are causes such as mounts/differential ruled out?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's Duty Solenoid C located in the transmission extension.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:55 PM

If it is the solenoid, wouldn't the power light flash at startup? Could it possibly be related to the driveline? I heard of the CV joint often going out in the driveshaft after doing some searching on here.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:05 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
It's Duty Solenoid C located in the transmission extension.
I need one of those too
If I call the dealer and give them the name are they going to
know what Im asking for ?
I know its going out on a limb here, but any pics of the trans
where its located exactly or anyone have the part # for the
Duty Solenoid by chance ?

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 07-01-2006, 04:37 PM

I put the FWD fuse in again, and the shudder IS still there even when in FWD, it is just hardly noticeable. So I guess it is definitely not the solenoid. What else could it be? Would the clutch pack be rebuilt during a tranny rebuild? Could it maybe be a bad CV on an axle? or maybe a bad driveshaft?

Motorsport: When I was searching for information on the solenoid, I did come across a picture. Do a search and you should be able to find it.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysvx10
I put the FWD fuse in again, and the shudder IS still there even when in FWD, it is just hardly noticeable. So I guess it is definitely not the solenoid. What else could it be? Would the clutch pack be rebuilt during a tranny rebuild? Could it maybe be a bad CV on an axle? or maybe a bad driveshaft?

Motorsport: When I was searching for information on the solenoid, I did come across a picture. Do a search and you should be able to find it.
The C Solenoid may be OK, but the Transfer valve that it operates to apply the clutch, may be sticking to keep the clutch applied. It is part of the C Solenoid/transfer valve assemble.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:44 PM

So that would mean that the valve would have to be replaced then? I think I am going to take it to the shop who did the rebuild and see what they have to say.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
OK, the reason I said turn the car off is the best way to test it BECAUSE, whent he engine is not running, the oil pump on the trans is not running. With no oil pressure throughout the trans, Solenoid AND the transfer valve do absolutley nothing. This means.... if the shudder or vibration is still there is is mechanical fault not solenoid related. You should check the CV and the U-joints in the axles and driveshaft for firmness or stiffness before you do anything repair related. A sticky U-joint will more than likely cause some noises before it vibrates (trust me I know... thnx svxfiles ) SO that being said, test it by making it vibrate and quickly shutting down the engine. If the vibrations/shudder/binding stops it is solenoid/transfer valve related. If it continues it is most likely clutch/axle/driveshaft related. Cannot always blame electronics sometimes mechanics fail.

Tom

P.S. the transfer clutches are not always rebuilt in a trans rebuild... Some mechanics like myself deal with the 4eat in 3 pieces... Front diff/auto trans/transfer assembly(AKA rear extension) if one piece is working well why fix it?

Last edited by TomsSVX; 07-01-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:26 PM

Registered SVX
Hi All, I've been having this AWD binding problem for a while. May be a relatively mild case, I notice the deep vibrations only when doing tight turns during parking. I have tried some tests recommended by TomsSVX and others and would like some help on diagnosis on my problem from those who are in the know!
1. There is no blinking power light on start-up.
2. With FWD fuse in, FWD light is on and the vibration goes away.
3. With engine running, the FWD fuse contacts resister 6.6V on my millimeter. Is this right voltage here in relation to the duty solenoid C?
4. I tried the method TomsSVX came up with. While making very tight turns,I put into neutral after building up a little bit of speed. I noticed the vibration goes away immediately. Of course the speed quickly reduces. After subsequently turning off the engine, I still don't feel the vibration, though by now it’s hard to feel things clearly since the steering wheel is heavy and the car is stopping.

So the result on the above 3rd suggests that it is NOT clutch/axle/driveshaft related, but likely solenoid/transfer valve related? If the voltage on the FWD fuse contacts is the right value, and since I don’t have any power light blinkin power light, the solenoid C seems to be working? Then how do I check the transfer valve? Is there any other test I can do to check solenoid or valve without dropping or getting deep into the tranny?
Thanks!

Last edited by redsvx94; 08-06-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Maniac modifier

sounds like it is clutch related...

Tom
Old 08-06-2006, 09:45 AM

Registered SVX
Uh, Tom, it seems my description below was not clear. The vibration went away when I put in neutral and stopped the engine ,while making a tight turns. Wouldn't this suggest it is NOT clutch related?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Maniac modifier

If it were solenoid related it would bring up a code more than likely and the FWD light would not come on at all. Anyway thats what I think but not experiencing this myself I would not be able to give you a complete answer

Tom
Old 08-06-2006, 07:57 PM

Registered SVX
Right. That's why I was wondering about the transfer valve? Or would there be any problem with TCU?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:24 PM

Registered SVX
This would appear to be a curly one therefore unlikely causes are worthy of consideration.

You mention not being able to feel things through the steering wheel with the power steering inactive. Also that the problem exists only under power in a tight turn. Could it be CV joint related or another problem within the front wheel drive?

Your reaction may be, --- "don't be silly it is coming from the drive shaft area". However worth a thought in the circumstances.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsvx94
Right. That's why I was wondering about the transfer valve? Or would there be any problem with TCU?
As the binding goes away when you put the fuse in, the C solenoid and the transfer valve is working OK. The binding could be caused by excessive line pressure. The TCU applies pressure to the transfer clutch duty cycle, in accordance with the line pressure at the time.

When cruising there should be enough transfer pressure applied to give 10% drive to the rear, if the line pressure is higher than it should be, the clutch pressure will be higher than the 10%, to cause the binding.

The best way to sort it out would be to check the transfer pressure at the rear of the box, to see if it is higher than it should be, if so check the line pressure. Do you have the shift kit fitted? as this can cause the problem.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.