How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-18-2005, 11:38 AM
92black svx

is it my front diff

Went to leave today and when i put my car in gear and started to pull away it made a loud banging noise. It does it even if its in nutrale rolling. Please help me to figure out what it is
Old 01-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
definately sounds like the front diff
Old 01-18-2005, 02:25 PM
92black svx

Is there eny specail tools needed to change the trans. will a 94 bolt right up with out changeingenything like the tcuor eny other plugs

Last edited by 92black svx; 01-18-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
My 92 had a tranny from a 94 in it when I bought it. Nothing looked modified on it when I took it out. It will bolt right up.

The main thing to remember is that the car must be high enough to slide the tranny out from underneath it.

Also with the tranny disconnected the engine, if not supported, will fall forward and damage your radiator.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:33 PM
92black svx

thank u for ur quick replies hopefully i can do it this weekend about how long should it take
Old 01-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Meow!

You should be able to do it in a day. You will need to remove the exhaust so now would be a good time to spray your favorite penetrating fluid on all the nuts/bolts.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:44 PM
92black svx

could this becused from the axcles being removed from the diff instead of pulling the pins
Old 01-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Meow!

Any time I've had to remove the axles I've pushed out the pin and slid it off the stub.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:41 AM
92black svx

would my car still move if the front diff was bad
Old 01-23-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 92black svx
would my car still move if the front diff was bad
depends on what is broken, mine would.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:52 PM
92black svx

shouldnt the power light blink if something is wrong
Old 01-23-2005, 05:57 PM
92black svx

mine moves it just makes a banging noise so im trying to figure out what actully is broken it just started to do that it was running fine befor it happened no noise or a sighn of troulble just a bang and that was it
Old 01-23-2005, 07:10 PM

the power light blinks only for electrical problems, not mechanical.

what happened in my case was:

driving normally, no problems or unusual noises. drop by the grocery store on the way home. while leaving the parking lot, BAM! then thunk, thunk, thunk. I limp over into another parking lot across the street. Try reverse and forward a couple of times, check fluids, etc. then call the wife to come pull me home. Get the thunk, thunk sound all the way home although I'm in neutral.

on disassembly, a small sliver of the aluminum case (from above the right side axle stub) flaked off. It got picked up between the ring & pinion, damaged the gears, which produced the rhythmic thunk sound.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:38 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
whoa whoa whoa, you pulled the front axles without taking the roll pins out?? Were the circlips still on the end of the axles stubs? If the axle stubs were not properly placed back in, they could be moving around causing the noise. Usually there is some pre-detonation signs before the diff goes bad so check the axles

Jack the car up, take the axles off the trans. Take the stubs out from the axles. On the differential sides of the stubs, there should be clips to hold them in the diff. If they are gone you are in some trouble. If they are there, reinsert them into the diff without the axles attached. then place the axles back on the stubs and reinsert the roll pins. Take it out for a ride and see if the problem is still there. If it is, your diff is probobly shot, if it's gone, you just saved yourseld a lot of work and money.

Tom
Old 01-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Check for bits.

Pull the drain plug on the front diff, see what comes out. There may be bits that show whats happened.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.