Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Ruth

Bad Radiator

Hi SVX gang!
I have a 92 pearl - which I love...but yesterday the radiator sprung a huge leak and it emptied...hopefully it didn't screw up the engine. Right now I'm on hold with the local Subaru dealer checking on getting a new radiator installed. Some questions for you...

1) what happened with the radiator group order I saw mentioned back in November? Any of those aluminum ones left?

2) Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Northern VA area who likes SVXs? (we just moved here).

3) Should I get a new radiator or would a used one be ok?

Thanks for the help!!

Ruth
Old 01-07-2005, 10:02 AM
justiceSVX

Used would be okay as long as it was promised to work... if not, try

www.subaruparts.com

or www.1stsubaruparts.com

Both have good prices, check to see which is better.

Also, you can get a discount at www.partsquest.com just type 'NASA' for your coupon code. Not sure how much the discount is.... but hey, it's still a discount.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:02 AM

Hi Ruth,

Here's the radiator group-buy thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=22659

Some might disagree, but in my experience, you don't necessarily need a mechanic who "likes" the SVX; a good mechanic will do. My shop's work has been flawless, and mine's the only SVX they've ever seen.

I'd lean toward a new radiator unless I didn't plan to have the car long; runs about $350 from Subaru.

Good luck,
dcb
Old 01-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Ruth

The local Subaru dealer quoted $399 for parts and $170 for labor...it's a job beyond what my husband and I can do...the new radiator is about the samelist price as on the Subaru parts site.

Should I get another _plastic_ radiator?

Ruth
Old 01-07-2005, 10:41 AM

Let me back-step a bit and say that if you can find a nearly-new, used radiator from a wreck or parts car, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad way to go, assuming it's priced right. But I wouldn't want an original radiator out of a '92 unless they were giving it away.

I haven't followed the aluminum radiator thread. Is the group buy not coming together?

You can find a competent mechanic to beat Subaru's labor charge. I'd look into buying from one of the suppliers justiceSVX recommended, and shop around for someone to do the work.

And yes, barring a custom fabrication job, you're stuck with plastic.

dcb
Old 01-07-2005, 11:09 AM
justiceSVX

It really isn't all that hard to put one in yourself if you ahve a garage.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Ciscokid

If you have to pay 399 for a new OEM radiator just spend the extra 50 bucks and get in on the group buy. I am sure someone can tell you a way to plug the leak temporarily. Seems like the group buy radiators will be done by the end of this month.

Good luck either way!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ruth,
Check out the brand new radiator for sale on EBay - I've dealt with the seller - BMICad - extensively. Try sending him an email (use the "ask the seller" option) telling him what you can get it for from the dealer and see if he won't cut you a "shipped to your door" deal. His price includes a new radiator cap.
Where in Virginia are you? If you're not too far from Dunkirk, MD (about 20minutes off the Beltway) I could probably come over and install it for you (just got done putting a new one in my '92 about a month ago...).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker