Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-31-2004, 01:10 PM

Damn Johnny,
THAT BITES!!!

Hope it turns up in decent shape.
When I lived in N CA I had a 300zx stolen, and it was recovered 1 month later. Bastiches left the windows down and it rained a few times before I got it back.
to be honest I was hoping I wouldn't get it back, had my eye on a 68 mustang and the insurance would have covered most of it

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 01-01-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:40 PM
ThetaReactor

So sorry for ya, man.

Yeah, mine's dead at the moment, but I know that doesn't compare to having it stolen. Just the thought of having someone come onto your driveway just to steal something you love... makes one feel a bit violated.

The family Chevy ['80 Caprice Classic, only one I've ever seen with a moonroof] was stolen several years ago, never to be seen again. Chop shops love those, though. Led to the installation of a covert kill-switch on the 82 Impala, and a heavy-guage steel collar that clamped over the steering column whenever I parked it. Just a couple weeks ago some amateur tried to pry the lock outta my Dad's Olds, had to fix that.

Hope you find it, unharmed and with a full tank of gas
Old 12-31-2004, 07:46 PM

Cops as A-holes

My brother's Four Runner was stolen from in front of our place a couple of months ago. Two weeks later it was "found" by the cops. Actually, the foreman of the construction crew building the house it was parked in front of for the enire two weeks finally called the cops to see what was up. The cops called my bro and told him he had half an hour to come get it out from in front of the house before it was impounded and would subsequently cost him at least $300 to get his own car back! Bad enuff to be carless for two weeks and have a huge, nasty hole where the v. expensive stereo system used to be. But the oscillating sphincter's call threatening to add insult to injury by impounding the car...too much!
WGJ
Old 12-31-2004, 10:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to dino179
sucks to the cops!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:50 AM

Hey Johnny sorry to hear about your car. I hope you find it in one piece. I was reading this site http://www.snopes.com and I stumbled upon this http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp
urban legend which turned out to be true. Maybe if you try asking your local dealership if anyone has requested a spare to your vin # you just might have a lead on where to look. I hope this helps.

1995 SVX L(mods: slotted/bored raceconcepts rotors,full stebro cat-back exhaust,green cone air-filter,rust )
116,000 mi
My Locker
Old 01-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX

That would make me cry.

Someone tried to steal my cars last summer when they broke into them but luckily the spare SVX key was defective and the Stealth just didn't run.

Most thieves use a jimmy to unlock doors and most security systems disengage when the door unlocks. I don't know if it can sense whether it's key locked or not but it's always a possibility.

My alarm is set to go off unconditionally unless a key is put into the ignition and turned.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:09 PM

Alarms

If a car alarm goes off and the entire neighborhood hears it for the millionth time...does anyone do anything? No. The only person that cares is the owner of the car. If someone is stealing your car and you go after them, the chances are v. good you'll get shot. That's what insurance is for...they steal it and you go buy a lower mileage, better car. A pro car thief that stold over 500 cars before becoming a consultant to the FBI and the insurance industry made it v. clear that alarms didn't slow him down at all. He said if he couldn't disarm the alarm, he'd just drive away and find a place to disarm and if there was a problem he'd say he just bought the car and didn't know how to shut it off. He never found an alarm he couldn't defeat. If they want your car...they're going to get it.
WGJ
Old 01-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Some alarms prevent the vehicle from running. You couldn't just turn it over and drive away even if you had the key.

In the case of my mom's Grand Cherokee if you set off the alarm, you can still get the key, unlock the door, and pop it in the ignition, but that won't turn it off.
I found this out a few times myself after much embarrassment.

I won't say how to disarm it but removing the battery terminals is not the procedure.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:21 AM
SVX Appeal

LoJack.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:25 AM
calmone

i figure the car will show up, only question will be if it was damaged. face it, it's an older not really exotic, so not a car to be taken for resale or to chop. and as most thiefts are kids joy riding the odds are good you'll see it again. how long depends on where it is left, the cops often take a long time to finnd a stolen car as if it's parked no reason to suspect it is stolen until it's there for an extended period. i have my fingers crossed for ya.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
Man that is terrible. It's these dam thieves from all the practice stealing the WRX's ....they know what's up now.

My recommendation if anyone really wants to protect their vehicle I'd say get an Omega GPS2000 piece. It's better than LoJack because YOU'RE in control. You can track your car, call it up, have it call you. With lojack, your police force does it all and you're left in the dark.

It can add on to any alarm system and the theif doesn't know of it's existance until - well, they're caught. We've installed a bunch of these at my shop for the high end cars - customers love it.

http://www.gps2000online.com/

Hope everything works out for your SVX. Hopefully it was just a joyride and you'll get her back with no damage cept for maybe a beat lock cylinder and broken ignition.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 01-02-2005, 10:16 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
The viper has that option for its own as well. See something in a situation like that I think you have a chance when its in your own home. Most of my neighbors wake up at the slightest bit of noise.

Paired with a motion sensor and 2 way paging I at least know if somethings happening. I just might not be able to react quickly enough to it.

It's still better than waking up the next morning with no traces or anything.

If they really want my car they can have it though I just dont want it back if they've been joyriding and stuff. I dont want to get it back with tranny and other drivetrain problems that I'll have to deal with.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 01-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Scott

My recommendation if anyone really wants to protect their vehicle I'd say get an Omega GPS2000 piece. It's better than LoJack because YOU'RE in control. You can track your car, call it up, have it call you. With lojack, your police force does it all and you're left in the dark.

I hate to say it, but I don't think it would be in anyones interest for the owner of the car to actually know where the thieves are. I for one know of an arse whooping that would happen if I found them.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
I hate to say it, but I don't think it would be in anyones interest for the owner of the car to actually know where the thieves are. I for one know of an arse whooping that would happen if I found them.
And I hate to say it but depending on who stole the car and why that arse whooping would probably be on you.
(Yeah Yeah, ya got a 357 or are 20th Degree Black belt, who doesn't/isn't these days)

So anyway Johnny,
Any word yet??

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 01-03-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
John,

We were really sorry to learn about the loss of your SVX.
I hope it works out for you with a new & better SVX.

Good Luck.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!