How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-19-2004, 12:51 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Yes there should be only a few thou. end float. Get somebody to watch the harmonic balancer on the front of the crank, to see if it moves in and out, when you move the flywheel in and out.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:06 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Hmm. 1/4" seems like quite a bit of fore/aft freeplay in the flywheel. OTOH, I don't know of anyone who has had a flywheel rub against the case. I'm beginning to think there is something in the gearbox. Do you have the axles and driveshaft installed?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
The axle stubs were installed and the front half of the driveshaft was in...The whole assembly however was not totally bolted down and secured...Ill check the free play and see if there is any free play when i get back to my house this afternoon...
Old 10-22-2004, 06:55 AM

well i just got a call from mastro saying they opened up the case and can't find anything wrong???This just isn't making any sense...
Old 10-22-2004, 08:23 AM
sans SVX

Then the only remaining suspects are the flywheel, pressure plate, disk, and motor. Again, I don't mean to underrate you, but the flywheel, pressure plate, and disk are all for a WRX, correct? Did you check the lateral free play on the flywheel?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:50 AM
maroon menace

I still suspect the pilot bearing. If you say you get a noise when you step on the clutch it means the drive plate is free to rattle around if there is any movement at the end of the input shaft. If youhave the unit out, measure the diameter at the end of the input shaft and then measure the inside diameter if the pilot bearing. Perhaps you have ummatched pieces or a damaged pilot bearing. I dont know if it is a slolid bearing or a needle roller type bearing. If it's a needle bearing make sure all of the rollers are in there and have not been displaced.
Have you checked to see if there is anything inthe pressure plate that can bee loose when the clutch is depressed? the could be something between the plate in the houseing that becomes free when the plate is retracted.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:14 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
It has to have someting to do with the 1/4" play that he says the flywheel and clutch assemble has. No installation has any play here.

If the flywheel has this amount of play, when you push the clutch down, it will pull the flywheel back towards the gear box. When you let it out, the flywheel may be moving forward to rattle the ring gear on the starter gear.

You just have to, pull the clutch off the flywheel to find out, why the play is there?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:09 AM

Im going to check the free play today and then see if the springs were possibly contacting the flywheel bolts. Thats the only thing that the subaru dealer could come up with. Seeing as they found nothing wrong inside the tranny...Ill try and let you all know what i find out...
Old 10-23-2004, 11:44 AM

ok well, i just got done pulling the pressure plate and clutch off and there are no scratch marks on the flywheel bolts like i was recommended to look for by the suby tech..>however...When i pull in and out on the flywheel the crank pulley does move in and out with it...So what exactly does this mean oab??Could it be something as simple as the crank pulley being too loose???Is there something else i should be lookin for???Thanks for the help so far, ill anxiously be awaiting your replies...

WEll i just tried to tighten the crank pulley and that thing is on there super tight so i dont think its because its loose or anything...Should i tighten the flywheel bolts more???They are torqued to what spec is now but when the 5spd was originally put it they were torqued down with a gun. Think this may have something to do with it???

Last edited by want-a-fast-svx; 10-23-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
the crank really shouldn't be moving front to back at all. Is this what u are saying? that the front pulley moves with it? anyway. i don't see how that should effect whether or not the noise happens when the clutch is engaged. Unless the flywheel is running into the engine or the started or something else in that area. Check for scratch marks around there and check the flywheel for wear marks on it.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:26 PM
maroon menace

the only way you would get for and aft movement of the crankshaft is if the thrust bearings are shot. you would have to pull the sump and probably one of the bearing caps to check that. look at an engine parts diagram to see where the thrust bearing is located. Look at www.subaruparts.com for a diagram if you don't have one.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:11 PM

So this means the engine is shot then if i have movement with the flywheel off??? I can push and pull the crankshaft pulley and watch the back of the crankshaft move in and out....Looking at the movement again its probably not a 1/4in more like 1/8 of an in. in and out....I really hope you all tell me my engine is fine....
Old 10-23-2004, 03:36 PM

Well from what i read on nasioc it seems as if my symptoms would be described as "crank walk.."This means a new engine, which means no more svx i guess...
Old 10-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
why no more svx? An engine is wicked cheap nowadays. You can pick one up and install it for around 500 bux. Thats if u install it, and you sound capable enough to do it. well listen, it might not be the end of the world. check to make sure thats your sound problem. if not, you might be able to get by without replacing it.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:17 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
Well from what i read on nasioc it seems as if my symptoms would be described as "crank walk.."This means a new engine, which means no more svx i guess...
Derek,

Sorry to hear about the motor. Was there any noise before you rebuilt the tranny?

Visit my locker